Todd Eldredge has hip replacement surgery; expecting first child with fiancée in May

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Apr 27, 2012.

1. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I remember seeing part of this. I don't think it was a special but a regular episode of some show on bridal planning. I want to say that the show was Bridezillas, but maybe I am just remembering that the bride came across as a Bridezilla, even if that wasn't the show she was one....

2. Jasmar

Jasmar Active Member

I remember that being my first thought when my dance partner (who was a national dance judge, so often caught wind of these things first) told me figures were going to be phased out, way back when. It was sickening to watch it come to play.

I wonder if (good) coaches today have learned to compensate by adding much more off ice training in areas that build strength but aren't hard on the joints (pilates, ballet, certain kinds of weight training, etc).

Skaters seem to have patterns for falls, meaning any given skater seems to fall similarly a lot of the time. Todd, Tara, and the others mentioned must have taken a lot of falls on the hip. I tended to fall on my butt, where there's always been plenty of padding :lol:

3. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

Falling doesn't help, but I think landing jumps on one foot is what is so hard on the hip and lower back. Especically triples and quads, and double axels.

4. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

I watched it but don't remember the name of the show. Besides the pink I recall how nasty she seemed to be to her mother. There was a bridal registry listed somewhere I remember looking at -they chose things like pink plastic colanders and spatulas among the other stuff. No problem with that if you want a pink kitchen, it just gave me pause...

5. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

:lol: at the juxtaposition in the title.

Well wishes and speedy recovery for Todd. I deeply sympathize re the operation (I have relatives in their 70s and 80s who have had such operations, but not due to figure skating ;)) I'm sure Todd will bounce back nicely, because he is likely still very fit. My relatives recovered too and were in great shape after the requisite post-operative therapy. Amazing stuff orthopaedic surgeons can do with hip and knee replacements.

BTW, I wonder how many hip and knee replacements Debi Thomas has performed? She certainly does have special insight, having been a great jumper and performer on the ice back in the day.

Congrats also to Todd and his fiance on the imminent birth of their first child!

Isn't it also problematic that skate boots do not provide enough give/ cushion to lessen the landing impact?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  6. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

7. aftershocks

^^ Wow, such a beautiful couple were Todd and Meagan. Sorry for them it didn't work out, but hopefully they both learned a great deal from their relationship that will have helped them move forward with better insights.

Best of luck and happiness to Todd and his new partner, Sabrina!

8. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I have the TV episode.
    That wedding was "obsessively" pink; and the "Bridezilla" description may have applied.

9. QB

QB New Member

10. aftershocks

11. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

For Todd, yes; but not necessarily the rest of us.;)

12. zilam98

zilam98 Well-Known Member

can i work with him with his rehabilitation for his hip? ;)

13. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

Certainly people who never skated! :lynch:

IMHO skating boots are pretty much horrific. I got a lot of problems with mine recently when doing only single jump combinations and learning to do a sit spin. So I can imagine the pressure that elite skaters must have on their feet and other part of their bodies due to lack of shock absorbance. It looks like with ski or rubber boots for jogging a lot of research has been done to improve them, but figure skating is a sport that isn’t pursued by many people, so the producers of skates just don’t put much effort into scientific research regarding improvements in this field. :wall:

May I just wish back figures now? It’s not only skaters then had less time for freeskate, as a consequence of it they also had less time to work on triple-triples or regarding the men to work on quads. :(

I too think it’s not so much the falling. Skaters fall every time when they learn new jumps (e.g. when they start to get their doubles or triples), but doing a quad instead of a triple just puts much more pressure on the body. :fragile:

Anyways, I hope Todd will recover soon and regarding the positive part of the news: I’m happy for him that he will become a dad soon! :)

14. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Interesting that two Callahan students have had this problem, one career - ending.

15. Johnny_Fever

Johnny_Fever Well-Known Member

Anybody remember the previous woman? I saw her on some home improvement show once. She had this pink fetish. She kept adding pink things to the interior of Todd's home. No wonder he dumped her.

16. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Tell me about it?

Re Galindo: I thought that his hip replacements were a result of his HIV meds? Wasn't/isn't there a combo of HIV meds whose side effects include damage to the joints? I know of a couple of young guys with HIV who had this happen to them...

17. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Replaced the display under my name

Thanks to all who ended my "wasn't Todd already married" confusion.

18. Jasmar

Jasmar Active Member

Falling repeatedly on one area definitely causes that area to break down more quickly than others. And my experience as a skater, and watching other skaters in practice, is that many tend to have a certain way they fall; those that frequently land on the hip usually ended up having hip issues even as teens (though not as drastic as the elite skaters, obviously).

Add to that the frequency of falls while learning triples (for most people), and it can sure be a lethal combination on the body.

One of my daughters was a competitive gymnast for a year when she was 6. She had *one* injury - an ankle sprain - that never healed properly despite excellent post-injury care and therapy; even though she took the required rest time of, she kept re-injuring it when she came back. She ended up having to quit within half a year, and the ankle has never been the same.

19. aftershocks

^^ :( That's too bad. How old is she? Has she been able to take up another, less bone and tendon-stressing activity? What about aqua therapy, isometrics, and acupuncture for her ankle?

20. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

I seem to remember with Tara that it was the 3 loop that might have caused her hip problem, was it only one hip, that's enough LOL, something like the force on the hip before takeoff, am I even making sense, and didn't she have a combo of that? Did Todd do a 3 loop, must have? I hope he has some great rehab process set up.

21. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

I think you're remembering right Rex, because I also remember hearing that about being the cause for Rudy's two hip replacements. Was thinking about Rudy the other day after watching his Ave Maria gala performance from 96 Worlds on my Complation Tape I've got. I've really got to try and see if I can figure out how to dub it onto DVD now that I've got a duel VCR and DVD/DVR. I'm sure I can do it. I just have to sit down and figure out *how* to do it. :)

On that same tape is Todd's World Championship winning program, as well as a few other of my favourites. Mom made the observation once that he came across as just a cute and adorable Teddy Bear of a guy. From that moment on in this house, Todd became known as Toddy Bear. :D

Many wishes of a speedy recovery and Congratulations on the little one that's on his or her way Toddy Bear!! May you, Sabrina and the little one have many years of joy and happiness together!! :)

22. aftershocks

^^ That's a sweet recollection about Todd. Thanks for sharing. I once met Todd in person and I was very impressed by his genuine kindness, affable manner, and appreciation toward fans; characteristics of a true gentleman. One of the more memorable moments for me in figure skating, occurred at 1996 Worlds when Todd went up into the audience and placed his gold medal around his Mom's neck. Her reaction was priceless.

23. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Sounds like Todd is very happy. Good for him.
    I am curious about what made the first marriage implode. I remember seeing that show called The Knot, where his bride was all crazy planning for the wedding.

24. stevlin

stevlin Member

His 1st wife had two dogs that slept in canopy beds. How frilly is that? I guess she got custody of the dogs.

25. Jasmar

Jasmar Active Member

She's doing a little dance on it, and I'm trying to convince her to go with Zumba, since that's what ultimately rehabbed my own ankle. But she's mostly moved into acting.

26. aftershocks

^^ Dance sounds like fun. What is it about Zumba that helped you?

Best of luck to your daughter re her ankle, and with her acting career!

27. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Love the "Toddy Bear" reference That's our personal nickname for him, too! :) We think alike, I guess.

aftershocks, I can vouch for Todd as a classy guy, down to earth, and humble. A total gentleman whom we've been fortunate to talk to & see skate many times through the years (1998 US Nationals, COI, SOI, several Disson shows).

28. Johnny_Fever

Johnny_Fever Well-Known Member

Why does that not surprise me? :rolleyes:

29. ProgramerUSFS

ProgramerUSFS Member

I wonder if diet doesn't have more to do with why some skaters have hip issues vers the ones that don't. There are skaters who have skated for many many years and don't have these issues. What are your thoughts on the diet aspect?

30. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

I am not an orthopedist :D but I think diet shouldn't matter greatly? More likely how much 'abuse' was brought on the hip, recuperation exercises and physiotherapy, and personal bone structure and density? Perhaps some posters who have been through this can shed some light?