Todd Eldredge has hip replacement surgery; expecting first child with fiancée in May

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Eldredge underwent left hip replacement surgery in Florida earlier today, is engaged to Sabrina Corbaci and they are expecting a son on May 23, according to this Detroit Free Press article today: http://www.freep.com/article/201204...p-replacement?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports

ETA @toddeldredge's tweet tonight:
    "Out of surgery! Doc said it went really well! YAY! Time 4 some R&R! Pain meds kicked my butt so lots of sleep. Thank u all 4 wishing me well"
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  2. jlai

jlai Title-less

:yikes:

Best of luck to him and congratulations to him and his wife!
  3. Aaron W

Aaron W New Member

His left hip handled all of the jump landings throughout his skating career. At just 40 years old, it's unfortunate he's dealing with problems more typical of someone 30 years older... but good to hear the surgery went well. Congrats on the engagement & baby as well.
  4. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Wow, he must have been in a whole lot of pain.
  5. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

With the Mrs. expecting, you could say he will be in good company!:D
  6. personwhoishere

personwhoishere Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who finds these two events coinciding slightly amusing? I mean, think about it ;)

In all seriousness though, all the best to Todd and family with his speedy recovery and the pregnancy and birth of their child.
  7. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

That's the first thing I thought when I saw the name of the thread....
  8. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

There is an amusing side to it and I wouldn't be surprized if Todd himself thinks so too!

In any event-I was very sorry to find out he had hip surgery. The sport does take it's toll on some athletes. I wish Todd all my best for a speedy recovery!
  9. The Fly On The Wall

The Fly On The Wall Active Member

Todd had hip replacement at 40? This REALLY doesn't bode well for Tara.
  10. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

With the constant bruisings, beatings, and breakages an elite athlete's body takes pursuing their dreams, having hip replacements at 40 (when it is an operation more expected of people in their 70s) would be grounds enough never to take up the sport at all.
  11. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Get well soon, Todd and congrats on new bub.
    Gee... one cannot help wonder that figure skating is a 'demanding sport'! Hip replacement at 40 - that's fast-track by 30 years for most people who eventually need hip replacements.
  12. maureenfarone

maureenfarone Active Member

Wishing Todd a speedy recovery and much happiness with his new family!
  13. Shyjosie

Shyjosie Member

I wish him a quick recovery, and all the best for his wife!
    He was one of my favourite single men skaters (I felt sympathetic with him - clockwise skater!). I hope for him that he will be able to pursue skating the way he wants to in the future.
    Best wishes!
  14. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Best wishes to Todd for a full and speedy recovery! I am thrilled for the other news in his life. :encore:
  15. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Best wishes for Todd. Hip replacement is "iffy" and patient satisfaction varies widely short and long term. Who is Sabrina Corbachi?
  16. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Rudy Galindo had BOTH hips replaced at twenty-something, if I recall correctly. He's done very well.

Wishing good healing to Todd.
  17. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

I know several women who were runners (not elite level) and had to have hip replacements in their early 50s. Sports do take a toll on your body (otoh, so does not being active at all) but I don't think figure skating is much worse than many other sports. Tara and MK both had major hip surgeries in their 20s and Rudy did have both hips replaced (I think he was in his 30s) but there are other skaters around Todd and Rudy's age that seem to be doing fine (Kristi, Nancy, Brian B....). It depends on the person (their body and specific training regimen)and sometimes it's just luck, or lack thereof.

Best wishes to Todd for a speedy recovery and congratulations to him and his fiancée!
  18. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Well-Known Member

Good luck Todd. May you recover as well as my 91-year-old aunt did from hip surgery. She now moves like she is 20-30 years younger.

I am puzzled though. Why did I think that Todd was married several years ago and already had a kid?
  19. pat c

pat c Well-Known Member

He was married several years ago to Megan McCrea http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Eldredge

They had a pink wedding if I am remembering correctly. I don't know if they had any kids, doesn't say that they did.
  20. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

Get well soon Todd, you were always one of my favorite skaters.
  21. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

When my dad would get drunk and sentimental, he'd say to my brother and I, "Ya know, I almost broke my hips to bring you into this world!". My mom would cringe and tell him to shut up! :slinkaway

Todd is 40?? Wow, time sure does fly...
  22. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

Debi Thomas' theory on career-ending injuries (specifically Lipinski and Yagudin) was that her generation spent so many hours training figures (4 for her) that they only had about 2 hours a day for freestyle, unlike the current skaters who spend 4 to 6 hours per day on freestyle.

Todd and Rudy stayed competitive longer than most, plus they were doing 3 axels (into their 30's?) long after many skaters had given them up. Rudy went back on tour after his replacements and was still jumping, although COI folded soon after.
  23. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

...and some people claim that skaters are not athletes!
    Wishing Todd a speedy, complete recovery; with much happiness in the years ahead.
  24. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston New Member

Use it or lose it OR use it and lose it.... Best to find something that brings you joy and deal with the consequences if/when they come.

Todd was my favorite skater in the late 90's/early 2000's. I hope he recovers well and enjoys being a daddy.
  25. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

As an orthopaedic surgeon, she would certainly know better than most.
  26. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

I know I knew someone once who thought figure skating couldn't get you into shape:rolleyes:
  27. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Uh, his fiancee and soon-to-be mother of his child. What more do you want? Seems like there was a pairs skater with a similar name years ago if you're asking if she's a skater. Best of luck to them both. :)
  28. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

Congratulations Todd on your successful hip surgery & the coming birth of your first child. May your marriage be just as successful & happy!
  29. aidan

aidan New Member

:lol: OMG. Those are words no one wants to hear from Mom and Dad, even if it's true! :lol:
  30. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

You remember correctly. They had a special on TLC or the like on the order of "My big fat PINK wedding"! They did not have kids. His fiance has an 8 year old or so from a previous relationship that they showed on one of the Smucker type shows recently with them all at Disney. Sorry for the vagueness of my recollection.
  31. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I remember seeing part of this. I don't think it was a special but a regular episode of some show on bridal planning. I want to say that the show was Bridezillas, but maybe I am just remembering that the bride came across as a Bridezilla, even if that wasn't the show she was one....
  32. Jasmar

Jasmar Active Member

I remember that being my first thought when my dance partner (who was a national dance judge, so often caught wind of these things first) told me figures were going to be phased out, way back when. It was sickening to watch it come to play.

I wonder if (good) coaches today have learned to compensate by adding much more off ice training in areas that build strength but aren't hard on the joints (pilates, ballet, certain kinds of weight training, etc).

Skaters seem to have patterns for falls, meaning any given skater seems to fall similarly a lot of the time. Todd, Tara, and the others mentioned must have taken a lot of falls on the hip. I tended to fall on my butt, where there's always been plenty of padding :lol:
  33. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

Falling doesn't help, but I think landing jumps on one foot is what is so hard on the hip and lower back. Especically triples and quads, and double axels.
  34. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

I watched it but don't remember the name of the show. Besides the pink I recall how nasty she seemed to be to her mother. There was a bridal registry listed somewhere I remember looking at -they chose things like pink plastic colanders and spatulas among the other stuff. No problem with that if you want a pink kitchen, it just gave me pause...
  35. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

:lol: at the juxtaposition in the title.

Well wishes and speedy recovery for Todd. I deeply sympathize re the operation (I have relatives in their 70s and 80s who have had such operations, but not due to figure skating ;)) I'm sure Todd will bounce back nicely, because he is likely still very fit. My relatives recovered too and were in great shape after the requisite post-operative therapy. Amazing stuff orthopaedic surgeons can do with hip and knee replacements.

BTW, I wonder how many hip and knee replacements Debi Thomas has performed? She certainly does have special insight, having been a great jumper and performer on the ice back in the day.

Congrats also to Todd and his fiance on the imminent birth of their first child!

Isn't it also problematic that skate boots do not provide enough give/ cushion to lessen the landing impact?
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  36. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

37. aftershocks

^^ Wow, such a beautiful couple were Todd and Meagan. Sorry for them it didn't work out, but hopefully they both learned a great deal from their relationship that will have helped them move forward with better insights.

Best of luck and happiness to Todd and his new partner, Sabrina!
  38. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I have the TV episode.
    That wedding was "obsessively" pink; and the "Bridezilla" description may have applied.
  39. QB

QB New Member

40. aftershocks