Tobias granted Lithuanian citizenship; Stagniunas to compete in an Olympics at last!

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

Congrats to Tobias - and just in the nick of time for Sochi! I wasn't too familiar with her - I looked at her bio on wikepedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isabella_Tobias - she competed for Georgia as well? If so then does she still hold citizenship for Georgia as well as the U.S.?

2. apatinar

apatinar Active Member

I don't know why anyone doubted this would happen.... You pay enough money and... MAGIC!! You are an international level ice dancer... and then... MAGIC AGAIN!!! You have been exceptionally granted citizenship... No surprise here..

3. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Considering that Stagniunas' last partner was denied citizenship, and Tobias was denied at least once before, it was hardly a slam dunk. In fact, the opposition party claimed that granting Tobias citizenship so that Stagniunas could compete in the Olympics was becoming a popular cause in Lithuania, and the only reason the President granted Tobias citizenship was that there was an upcoming election.

4. RFOS

RFOS Well-Known Member

Of course it's that simple and she hasn't done any hard work or training for many years. If it's as simple as paying money, maybe it's not too late for Warren Buffett to get an OGM! Having money is an advantage for sure, but it still takes hard work, talent, and some degree of luck to be able to compete and succeed internationally in ice dancing (success is relative, but in my book, being good enough to qualify the spot for the Olympics certainly is a lot of success and I doubt in my whole life I'll achieve anything that prestigious and certainly most people don't).

5. eurodance2001

eurodance2001 Active Member

Somebody forgot to take their anti bitter pills this morning.. Geez.. It's not as if she is taking a spot from anybody; WHOM could LTU send in their place??

6. kosjenka

kosjenka Well-Known Member

It must be difficult for you seeing a girl coming from wealthy family, with good looks and successful at what she loves.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

She represented Georgia for a short time and I don't think she has ever obtained Georgian citizenship.

I can understand feeling bitter about this but figure skating is a sport for rich people. Unless you're lucky enough to live in a country where skating is subsidised (and even then to achieve more, you need to have money to pay for more resources to really achieve something in most cases), you need to comfortable financially to afford the lessons, the costumes, travelling to competitions and other related costs.

Tobias might be far from being the best skater technically but she is an excellent performer.

8. Sasha'sSpins

So you can compete internationally at say lower level events for a country even if you don't hold citizenship from said country?

In any event I'm happy for Tobias. She had tears of joy in her eyes at the ceremony! :)

9. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

You only need citizenship in order to compete at the Olympics.

10. Sasha'sSpins

I see. Interesting!