T'is the Season - Watch your credit cards!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Lucy25, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Lucy25

Lucy25 Well-Known Member

So I make Black Friday purchases yesterday on the Macy's website, and someone then uses my credit card on the same website just a few hours later. Luckily the purchases looked suspicious somehow - they were made at 2:30am and 3:15am - and they were blocked and I was contacted immediately. My guess is the Macy's website was compromised somehow, as I never use this card (Master Card) anywhere. Things like this always freak me out, but I have learned not to take them too personally. Be careful out there if you use your credit cards! There's a lot of rotten people out there. Anyone else have similar stories?

2. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

Something similar just happened to my mom earlier this week. Someone tried to use her debit card at Target about an away from us. They got declined because they didn't have the pin number (though they could have canceled for credit). But we have no idea how it happened.

3. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

The most common way to steal debit cards is by rigging the swiper to pick up the number info and having a tiny camera film the PIN keystrokes as they're entered. The thieves then match the swipe to the PIN entry video. They don't always use the info right away: it's very common for them to wait a few weeks, then cut and distribute physical cards.

People assume that this happens at private machines found in convenience stores, but I learned this the hard way from my credit union: the rigging was done at the ATM in the lobby of its main Puget Sound branch, and the first illegal use of my info was ~ two weeks after I used that ATM.

It doesn't hurt to be especially vigilant this time of year and to check balances frequently. It's easy to do online, but the phone trees at the toll-free number on the back ofthe credit card, at least in NA, should have a "check your balance" option.

4. kosjenka

kosjenka Well-Known Member

I was about to buy something and at checkout realised they no longer accept my credit card.
    Oh well :D

5. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

For those about to take on Cyber Monday, make sure your antivirus and firewalls are up to date and that the encryption sign appears on the web page where you enter your credit card info. While it is possible for store sites to get hacked, it's fairly easy for hackers to just monitor traffic to a site. This is especially true if you're on a wireless network.

I do most of my shopping at work where we have the most up to date protections and are wired to the network. I know many employers don't allow it, but if your's does, it's the safest place (assuming your employer takes security seriously).