Tips for meeting with a politician

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by algonquin, May 29, 2013.

1. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

I have a meeting this Friday with my local provincial politician to discuss the provincially funded pre-school speech and language services. (In a nut-shell, my son has apraxia and our local pre-school speech and language service is beyond horrible at meeting the needs of apraxic kids.) This is my first time meeting with a politician and I am a little nervous. They always to be a different breed of people, if you know what I mean. Does anyone have any tips on what to do and not do? How best to present my case? How I can make some headway? Thank you!

2. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

Don't worry about it. The politician's job is to listen and respond to his constituent (you). Especially being a local guy. Just treat him/her like you'd treat anyone else you'd meet with - like a teacher or principal - and be concise and honest.

I've been working in local government for about 15 years now, and have met with many many local and state (I'm in the US) level politicians. Almost all of them have been concerned about their people. Now, the federal level politicians I have met (with a few exceptions) are a different animal.

3. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Make sure you are VERY CLEAR with what you hope to have changed. He may know very little or nothing about speech services or education, to be honest. Make sure you inform him (without making him feel stupid) if he needs to be informed and make sure he knows exactly what it is you want to happen. Let him know this isn't something only affecting you, that there are other parents/children out there with the same issues.

4. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Agree. Bring material suitable for a novice. It should address 1) what is it, 2) how is it treated, and 3) the impact if a student doesn't get appropriate treatment at the appropriate time. You might also want to be prepared to discuss societal costs long term.

Pols are interested in things that get votes or lose votes, so the more you can associate your needs with that of other voters, so much the better.

5. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tips, everyone. My meeting went very well.