Tipping - For? Against? How Much? Yes To Waitstaff, But No To...?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Sep 10, 2011.

Thoughts On Tipping

1. I NEVER TIP! EVER!!

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  2. I am against the idea of tipping, but I do so anyway... :mad:

9 vote(s)
    7.0%
  3. I Reluctantly Tip Around the 10% Mark

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  4. I Tip Around the 15% Mark

40 vote(s)
    31.0%
  5. I Tip Around the 20% Mark

68 vote(s)
    52.7%
  6. I Tip Around the 25% Mark

7 vote(s)
    5.4%
  7. I Tip Over 25%

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  8. Some Places I Tip...Others I Refuse

12 vote(s)
    9.3%
  9. I Tip When I Remember To

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. What's Tipping Again

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Oops...Forgot!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Others Seem To Be So Much Better At It Than Me!!! :drama:

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

What are your thoughts on tipping? I had a friend who was so angry that restaurants paid waitstaff so little that they had to rely on tips to get by. He felt that tipping should never occur and that restaurants should pay their staff appropriate wages. If I remember correctly, he refused to tip in restaurants, but I'm not completely sure that was true, maybe he just disagreed with the idea, but reluctantly did it.

My Dad was also a bad tipped. One time on a $200 bill he left something like $10.00. A few of us went back to the table to see what he left and added a bunch of bills! :lol:

How about other places...hairdressers, hotels, etc.?

2. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

I always tip in restaurants. I served when I was younger (MUCH younger) so I know how helpful those tips can be. I generally leave around 20%, unless the service is really, really bad. If so, I tip around 10%.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  3. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Purple.

4. Pierre

Pierre New Member

I can't imagine not tipping in a place where it is expected. I can understand the argument that tipping should not exist and people should be paid more to begin with, but I do hope the cheapskates who don't like it just because it means more out of their wallet realize that if tipping didn't exist that extra cost would then be added to the price charged for the meals and services themselves.

Personally, I like the tipping system because it allows me to make a statement about the quality of service and encourages waiters and others to give me good service. You treat me well and I will I treat you well. I like it.

In response to the poll, I tip 20% for acceptable service. Less for poor service, more for good service. I think that's pretty standard these days. I know some do 15%, so anywhere between 15 and 20 is probably OK in terms of what is expected.a

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  5. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

I almost always tip 20% in places I know you are supposed to tip because I am so afraid of the (well deserved IMO) stereotype of teachers being cheap.
    However, I feel overwhelmed sometimes with trying to know exactly whom to tip.
    I find it especially daunting when I am in New York where it seems so many services are ones where you are supposed to tip - but I don't know for sure and can also break the bank fairly quickly!

6. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

I tend to be more generous with tipping in the US where it's more likely there's a fair discrepancy between minimum wage for servers and minimum wage elsewhere. Up here, the minimum wage for servers has been the same as everyone else, although in Alberta, the government just introduced a differentiated rate for servers in establishments where alcohol is served ($9.05/hour for liquor servers; $9.40/hour general minimum wage). If we get great service, I tip around 20%; less for less than great service. The woman who does my nails gets about 20% as well; same with my hairstylist.

ETA: I'm thinking the stereotype about teachers being cheap could be applied to a variety of people. I'm often amazed at what some people think is an adequate tip...men and women, teachers and other professionals.

7. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I think that workers should be paid at least minimum wage at all jobs, including waitstaff. If they go above and beyond, only then should they be given a 'tip.'

However, I do tip 20% because I know this is not the case. I have tipped lower than that for bad service on very rare occasions, but rarely higher.

8. milanessa

It's a great American myth that wait staff don't make at least minimum wage. If their tips don't take their hourly wage to at least the minimum then the employer is required to make up the difference. Does that always work in practice? I'm sure it doesn't. In order for it to happen wait staff have to report their tips and they're often reluctant to do that because once it's on paper then their tax liability may be higher. Some of them make big bucks. Minimum wage isn't a lot to survive on, and often people can't, but this idea that wait staff are taking home a couple of dollars an hour is crap.

9. Pierre

Pierre New Member

There has been one (and only one) time that I didn't tip in a place where it was expected and that was when a waitress spilled something on my pants. OK, mistakes happen, but it wasn't the mistake that cost her the tip, it was what happened after. There was no apology. She just walked away. A few minutes later she comes back with a napkin and just sets it down on the table. No offer to get club soda. No communication. Then she disappears until the meal is over (she had been fairly active before this). I couldn't believe it!

10. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

This poll is incomplete. Michelle Kwan is not an option.

11. mkats

mkats New Member

One of my coworkers at the private practice where we work is part time and spends the rest of her time waitressing at a mid-level restaurant in DC. She says she makes more money waitressing the same number of hours, but wants the experience as an MA for her resume in case she decides to pursue a graduate degree in the health sciences.

I generally aim for around 18-19%, unless the experience is really horrendous. We had one once when the service was so bad that my friend refused to leave more than $1 in tip to make his point. I think I convinced him to bring it up to $3 or so, on a $20 meal... not spectacular, but oy, it was bad service.

12. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

True, but I will say that the teachers at my school are :yikes: with the tips. And then wonder why we get bad service when we go out on in-service days.

As a former waitress, I will say that it is VERY difficult to get the management to make up the $2.13/hr to minimum wage (and when I was waitressing, MW was something like $3.35) if it's a slow night or you get massively undertipped on large bill. (my favorite moment? The table that rounded up a $495 bill to $500.) I didn't stay at that place long, because most of the nights, I barely cleared more than minimum and often times didn't even do that.

13. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Ugh, Peter! Don't get me started! Ok, too late!

I LOATHE people who do not tip. I can understand if you think the restaurant should just pay a full wage and add it to your bill (please, don't be so naive as to think the prices will stay the same!!) but you can't just refuse to tip. If that is how you feel then DO NOT GO EAT IN A RESTAURANT!!! It is mind boggling that people can just not pay for a service. You wouldn't go to your dentist without insurance and then just walk out and say "no, I feel like the government should supply healthcare for everyone and I will not pay for this...have a good day!" They would not stand for it. No one is making you go out to eat, you can always pick your food up to go where the to go attendant is paid a full wage and you do not need to leave a tip. I even tip on bad service but I keep it minimal and even then it has to be glaringly bad service, like so bad that I feel the server did it all on purpose.

And yes, it is really hard to get restaurants to make up the difference if you didn't make that. Restaurants can be so cheap. My friend works at a very busy restaurant with an upstairs and downstairs area. I mention this just to let you know how big the place is and that if your tables are upstairs you have to leave the area quite often to go down to the kitchen to get food. Anyway, if a table leaves without paying (which happens more than you would think) the server is required to pay the bill IN FULL. Not even a tiny discount. First, why is the server responsible? They could be gone for a while in this huge restaurant, how can they stop their table from slipping out? It baffles my mind. I have seriously considered never eating there again because of how they treat their employees but the food is good. :shuffle:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  14. milanessa

I can understand that but it's the law and if enough workers reported that management things would change. Maybe they need to unionize. ;) Of course the boss might make your life a bit miserable for a while but that's how things change. The law is clear.

15. milanessa

Well then.

16. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

:eek: My system requires a little contemplation and a little 6th grade math.

For wait staff >
    20% base plus 10% if they're :grope: minus 15% if they're :grope: but aloof (/ ignore us) plus 5% if one of my table mates has been a handful ... sigh, plus 20% if I'm drunk and/or feeling guilty about them having to wait on privileged old me.

Okay, that was only mostly true.

For massages and hair cuts >
    25% for the most part, meaning off of the standard price ... the stylist/masseuse shouldn't be penalized by a big ol' coupon or discount I brought with me.

17. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

That is awful! I know it is pretty standard for restaurants to take the money out of the server's pay check if a meal is not paid for. But, it stinks. I have been in very crowded restaurants where the waiters were difficult to find, when I wanted the bill. I would simply ask any waiter near by to ask mine to please bring the bill. If I have the bill and am waiting to leave, I will get up, find the waiter and hand the payment to them. But, how could someone leave and just not pay :eek:!

18. jamesy

jamesy wind up merchant

Do you make any kind of adjustments if the server is homely? :p

19. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

That's a lot. Do you give 25% to the stylist and something additional to the shampoo person? If you don't mind my asking, what does a good haircut cost where you live?

I really don't think that owners should be tipped. They take a good % of what the other operators bring in. Yes, much of that goes to overhead, but... Unfortunately, it now has become fairly common to tip owners. I just give mine a flat $20, I think that is enough, especially when I sometimes have to tip 1 or 2 other people.

I know the person who does my gels gets $40 for fill-ins. She only keeps $28 of that. So, I do tip her a bit more than 20%. But, I also love her to bits!

20. Civic

Civic New Member

At restaurants, I'll leave a tip that is 15-20% of the bill. IMO, it's not that hard to figure out what the tip should be. Take 10% of the bill then double it for a 20% tip.

I usually leave a 20% tip at nail salons.

At hair salons I tip anywhere from 10% to 20% depending on how pleased I am with the end result and how much I can afford. I'm ashamed to admit that I didn't even know you were supposed to tip hair stylists until I was well into my thirties.:slinkaway

My opinions on tipping restaurant servers are colored by the following:
    1) I've done it myself so I know how hard it can be to do a good job and how measly is the base pay.

2) I lived for in college towns for over 20 years so I'm used to restaurants where most of the servers are college students. Waiting tables is how they help fund their education. Since I'm a big supporter of the idea that everyone who wants to attend college and meets the academic requirements should be able to do so, I'm inclined to be generous to them when I patronize these establishments.

21. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

Regarding minimum wage for servers, different states have different laws. In California, for instance, minimum wage is mandatory before tips are added.

22. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

I worked for tips many years ago, so I always treat the server with respect and tip generously.

23. IceJunkie

IceJunkie Well-Known Member

I've waited tables on and off over the past four years, and I can tell you, waiters (at least in the US) make crap. We make 2.13 an hour. I wish more people knew this. So basically, I feel like 10% is acceptable if the waiter did a shitty job, 15% if it was slightly below average and 20% is standard, and 25% is for excellent service.

24. milanessa

:rolleyes:

http://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm#foot1

25. WindSpirit

WindSpirit OmnipresentAdmeanistrator

Is a hair stylist an euphemism for the person who washes your hair? Because I was really surprised to find out you are supposed to tip that person, too. Which I find absolutely ridiculous. If they have an extra person sweeping the floor, should I tip them too? That would be 4 people already. And the owner now even if they did nothing? Haha.

I'm a pretty good tipper at restaurants.

I've been tipping my hairdresser 50% lately. Mainly because she doesn't charge me much and she does everything herself. I'm dreading finding another one, because I am not going to tip every single person at a salon that crosses my path. I'm paying for my haircut and I'm tipping the person who cuts my hair. If they have someone to just wash people's hair, sorry. I'm not going to tip someone for washing my hair.

26. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

Me too. I served and bartended during undergrad. I had a lot of regulars who tipped me well and in general, I made really good money. However, I certainly had my share of bad tips and extremely rude customers. I try my best to be as low maintenance as possible. I live in a city with several colleges and I always tip generously because, like Civic, I know that many of these servers are putting themselves through college, but also because I certainly benefitted fromt he generosity of others when I was serving in Nashville. Oliver and I consistently get waited on by students of ours at local restaurants. Someone on Rate My Professor once said that not only was a I good teacher, I was a good tipper :). I tend to be really understanding when people are having a bad night.

I probably tip hairdressers, massage therapists, and aestheticians more than most. I feel like I have to trust a person to let them touch my hair and/or my body. I'm a loyalist, so if I find someone I like, I stick with them. I feel more inclined then to tip very generously.

27. jlai

jlai Title-less

I normally tip the 15% that is expected; more if the waiter goes out of his/her way to be nice; and less if the service is not up to par.

One time I asked for a virgin pena colada, and I specified the virgin part. The waiter served it, and I asked again, "Is this virgin?" and he said yes. I drank it and felt tipsy for quite some time. That time I didn't tip at all.

28. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

Well, normally when you pay for a service the total cost to you is included in the price. I presume dentists in the US don't ask for a tip after they've given you fillings for the service of doing so. :lol:

I'll tip when I'm in the US because it's part of the social etiquette, but I think it's an annoying and confusing practice. How much? To whom? When? Pay your staff a decent wage and pass the cost on to your customers in higher prices innit. How much a person earns shouldn't be dependent on whether a customer is generous or not.

No tipping in Japan and the level of customer service is overall the best I've experienced anywhere in the world. And I find the general standard of food service in France much better than the US. Just saying. :shuffle:

29. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Why am I NOT surprised? :lol: :rolleyes:

30. mag

mag Well-Known Member

I tip where tipping is customary, but... It drives me nut when people travel and don't follow the customs of the place they visit. Many years ago I was traveling in New Zealand. Back then all the tourist brochures made it very clear that tipping WAS NOT part of the culture. I'm not sure now, but back then I know that many North American tourists did tip and it was causing problems for the locals.

I also don't think that owners should be tipped, but it can be difficult if the tip options is on the credit card reader. Pressing no makes me feel cheap, so I usually end up leaving a tip.