Tiny Apartment in New York

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Aussie Willy, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

2. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Wow. Space saving is one thing but I would get major claustrophobia sleeping that close to the ceiling.

3. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

You can't imagine she has much of....a love life, with the bed being that close to the ceiling :p

4. Norlite

Norlite Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if I could do that, but it was interesting.

She has what she needs and seems happy there.

But wow, it's really small.

Yeah, I think I would have sacrificed some of the height of the closet (says the woman that needs a walk in and two other closets in her house.. lol ) to lower the bed a couple feet at least, and maybe built the closet out another couple feet to the side and built her sweater shelves along the side there.

Changing the sheets on that bed would be a nightmare too.

5. Nan

Nan Just me

I saw an episode of Internatinal Househunters within the last year (and a re-run just last week) of a young lady looking for a place in Paris and one of the apartments she looked at was very similar to this including the loft bed. If I remember correctly, it was the one she picked.

6. a56

a56 New Member

I think I saw that episode - the American Francophile from New Orleans, who was apartment hunting with her mom in Paris. I think it was about the same size (90 square feet?) and the ceilings were at a steep angle. Totally claustrophobic. This Manhattan apartment has higher ceilings and may be slightly less claustrophobic except for sleeping in the bed (like sleeping in a coffin with a bar rail on one side).

7. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

It's amazing what people will put up with when they want status! But if it's really her choice, that's fine.

8. emason

emason Well-Known Member

This is most likely an illegal conversion and not really an apartment because there is no kitchen. I think the toilet is also not oriented properly according to the building code.

Someone looking to make a quick buck took an existing structure and carved it up into apartments that really aren't legal, or at least that's what it looks like from the short look we got in the video.

I tried to look through the NYC building codes to check, but they are so difficult to read that I couldn't really get an answer.

9. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

she seems to like it but she said she also rents studio space for her shrinky dinks. i think i would rather rent one space and use it for both.

10. Cupid

Cupid Well-Known Member

I like the reader comment at the end:"crazy person alert" :lol:

11. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

It's really not that bad. People are adaptable.

12. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I just saw that again too. She did pick the one with the loft bed - I think it was similar to this except more space was devoted to the bathroom. I recall that she was hoping for 20 square meters, but she could only get about 16-18 sq meters and stay within her budget. Is that right? I think she paid about $160,000.

The really really tiny one she saw was about as wide as this one, but not nearly as long and with low ceilings. There was a little dormer window by the kitchenette (half fridge and hot plate), and she had to crouch down to get in and out of the window space and she hit her head on the ceiling getting out. She was 5'9". It was big enough for a bed, a side table and a small chair without any of the storage in this NY apartment. I think the bathroom was just a toilet and she had to share a shower down the hall. And the sale price was $100,000.

Nan and (deleted member) like this.
  13. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

I agree! It must be freeing, not being encumbered by lots of stuff...

14. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I'm really paranoid, so a small space works for more because I can see everything. However, that's just insane. If she feels good about it, then more power to her.

15. millyskate

millyskate Well-Known Member

I lived in a place of that size for three years. It was 20 square meters, but most of it was bathroom + corridor. It was not a nice experience.
    ETA: I was confused about the actual size... her flat is tiny. Yuck. It was bad enough with a flat double that size.

16. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Except she actually has tons of stuff - look at all the storage boxes and the clothes hanging in her 'closet'. There's actually a lot of stuff in that small space.

17. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

And the storage boxes and all the trappings of organizing that much stuff in that small of a space makes it look like someone's storage closet with a bed.

I don't think people need huge homes, but that's ridiculous.

18. genegri

genegri Active Member

It really isn't that bad. I could live in that room pretty comfortably. I have less stuff than she does. DH, on the other hand, would freak out.

The only change I would make is to have a thinner mattress so I can have a little more clearance over my head and face in that sleeping area. Assuming I was right that the big dark green thing I saw was all mattress.

19. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Compared to the average person, she hardly has any stuff at all. It just looks like a lot because it's in such a small place.

20. emason

emason Well-Known Member

You can't compare her to the average person; this is NY - she needs to be compared to the average NYer and the tons of small, quirky apartments that exist all throughout Manhattan. (If I had a dime for every Manhattan apartment I've seen that had a shower in the kitchen or built-by-the-tenant loft beds and closets because there was no other choice, I'd never have to work another day in my life.)

21. soxxy

soxxy Guest

That's an awfully convenient location in Manhattan. I could easily live there for that price.

22. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

O.k., take it easy... :drama: :drama: :drama:

23. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't have a problem living in a small apartment/house like this one, but I'm in agony just thinking about sleeping in a bed so close to the ceiling. :drama:

24. soxxy

soxxy Guest

I'd wear a helmet until I got used to it....;)

WindSpirit and (deleted member) like this.
  25. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

:lol: I agree!

26. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

This appartment was featured few days ago in one of the "remodeling" shows on HGTV (Home and Garden TV) in USA. I don't remember the name of the show, but it has a female host, located in NY with 2 female assistants.

Well...... at the time of the show this tiny appartment was occupied by the 2 assistants (a couple), and the Host renovated it...

Made the "upstairs bedroom" into "Aladdin's den" with Oriental flavor.
    Changed the ladder that leads up to a lighter version.
    Changed configuration of the closet in the hall-way.
    Installed a wall-bed/pull out bed
    Put mirrors on the side walls to visually expand the narrow guest area
    etc.....
    Looked comfy enough for 2 people...

(I could not find a video).

27. jamesy

jamesy wind up merchant

That was an episode of Dear Genevieve. (Genevieve Gorder, not our admin. :lol: ) Apparently the 2 don't live there full-time, but it was impressive how the apartment was changed to comfortably fit 2 people.

genevieve and (deleted member) like this.
  28. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but people seem really offended by this. Why? I wouldn't choose to live in that small of a space personally, but it obviously works for her. I don't get what the big deal is.

Of course, there is the legality issue on whether or not it fits building code. However, considering she volunteered to have her apartment featured in a nationally-circulated video/article, I guess there's no problem with it, or if there is, something may be done about it.

29. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I could live in a pretty small apt, but I couldn't sleep that close to the ceiling all the time.

30. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

When I lived in NY in the late 70s to early 90s, my friend lived for at least 10 years in an SRO (single room occupancy) with a shared bathroom down the hall and just a half fridge with an electric burner hotplate. It was tiny like the apartment in the video. She paid $90 a month. She loved it - her closet was under the bed loft and she had space for a desk and small sofa. She danced in Bway shows and went on tour a lot, then she worked in restaurants and went to design school in between shows so she was rarely home. She saved her $$ for all those years and then moved back to the Bay Area and had enough $$ for a down payment on a :kickass: water view house in Sausalito she bought with her boyfriend. Bought it for 400k, sold it years later for 2 million and has a huge spread in Kirkland, WA with another killer view. All on her savings from living small in NYC. Not bad.