Timothy Goebel 2006

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by arakwafan2006, Jun 22, 2011.

1. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

Hello,

I am sorry if this is the wrong thread but i was wondering if anyone had clips of Tim Goebel's 2006 nationals short and long. I believe that was the year he worked with Tatiana Tarasova. I loved the night on bald mountain free. It was actually his best in my mind.

Thanks

2. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I love Tim Goebel as a person, but he was looking heavy that year.

3. Nan

Nan Just me

So I guess that means you don't have any clips.

4. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

And do you know him personnaly ? :cool:

5. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Classy

:blah:

Sparks and (deleted member) like this.
  6. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I meant his skating looked heavy. I wasn't referring to his waistline. And yes I know him through my best friend.

7. Nan

Nan Just me

So perhaps you CAN get a clip from him for arakwafan2006.

8. arakwafan2006

Took the words right out of my mouth.

I still cant believe that his last year of skating is nowhere to be found on Youtube. AHHHHHHHHHH.

9. arakwafan2006

I actually thought that tarasova lightened him up. Jazzy short and character themed long. Well, he was protraying a demon lol. Tarasova has dark tastes and i love it.

Did anyone else notice how both Tim and Evan copy Michelle Kwan to T? From her music choices, to her coach, Lori. Evan of course went couture/high fashion. Michelle might have left her mark on more men than women in the sport. Just an observation.

10. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

That is a great observation. It's funny but none of the American women look obviously influenced by her skating, but we know she inspired them. Tim and Evan do seem like they really emulated her in ways!

I feel, though I don't have real concrete detail to point to, Kwan had influence on the style of Arakawa and Suguri. The styles they developed are not so much reminiscent of prior Japanese skaters. Suguri seemed to want to capture something of Kwan or represent Kwanism. I think Salome is imprinted in some way in the style Arakawa tried to exhibit. I suspect Kwan influenced the Japanese ladies' basic ideas of presentation, particularly when they were first developing into a power.

11. pollyanna

pollyanna Don't blink

I guess not. ;)

But someone else does......

Goebel 2006 SP

Goebel 2006 LP

12. steve skater

steve skater Member

Was gonna upload them, but looks like someone else already did!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  13. Nan

Nan Just me

14. arakwafan2006

i think i love you! WOW. Thanks for this so much. Tarasova really tried to give him a fresh look. I love that when tatiana choreographs for skaters, she really pushes them. The only thing is that it falls short at times (steps/energy) because from what i read, NO ONE trains your program like Tatiana. The skaters that she works with every day seem like they know their programs like the back of their hands. Timothy was a guy who dancing wise had two left feet. This program though even gave him energy though. Great work Tatiana. ( i was referencing the short.)

What killed Tim was the new scoring system, especially in the spins. The inside sit spin was not attractive. Of course, leaving Frank (who fired who?) was not a good move for him. The axel technique he learned was flawed but frank knew how to make it consistent. Audrey W. probably looked at changing it and that along with a whole new scoring system just was a little too much for an old school, olDER injured slater to do.

BTW, i do wish that Tim took a page from Kwan on his costuming. This thing he wore for the free skate looks dreadful. I could just imaging what Michael Kors and Nina Garcia would say.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  15. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Is he dead?

I think it was more that the 6.0 system gave him the benefit of the doubt with it's emphasis on the jumps. He was a stiff skater and compared to skaters like Lambiel, Weir and Buttle they showed up his lack of pliability and natural musicality.

That is not to say that I didn't like Tim as a skater. I really enjoyed his 2002 Olympics performances. But you do have to call it as you see it.

16. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Tim pretty much lost his quads and his 3A after 2002. He no longer had the weapons that put him head and shoulders above most of his competitors. It wasn't the IJS that did in his career but the lost of his technical abilities.

The programs that TT gave Tim and Evan were craps. They wasted their money on her.

17. arakwafan2006

T

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  18. arakwafan2006

I KNOW!!!! It even kept Evan from winning his world title that year. Terrible decision. Oh and Dick Button sounded like he just wanted to puke at the sight of Tim's short program. wast-o- dollars...:rolleyes:

19. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Really?? Didn't he come close to Plush with a silver medal at '03 Worlds, skating an SP and LP w/ Quads? Some have argued here on this board that he actually outskated Plush there...

20. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

AFAIR, Tim's 2003 programs at Worlds were both great. During the GP in the 03/04, he was 2nd at NHK to Jeff Buttle., went and at some point after the LP, (the gala?) tripped over his skate guards and reinjued himself. He showed up at TEB in a neck brace, looking like a turtle, and didn't skate.

After that, it was pretty much down hill, with a brief flurry of excellence, skating his 2005 US Nationals SP in honor of Angela Nikodinov's mother, who had just died in a car wreck in which Angela was injured, and was therefore unable to skate.

http://www.goldenskate.com/2005/01/goebel-mounts-a-comeback-at-us-nationals/

He dropped to second in the LP
    http://www.goldenskate.com/2005/01/weir-wins-with-perfect-scores/

21. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

I was there and thought Tim should have won.

22. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Yes, so did I--but I was on the non-judge side of the rink. Plush's program was entirely judge-centric, so if you were not on the judge's side, he looked far worse than he did from a camera on the judge's side.

In fact, I made a kind of parlor game out of it with my friends-tell me who you think should have won World Men's 2003 and I'll tell you which side of the rink you sat on.

23. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Perhaps. I sat on one of the ends.

24. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Did you conveniently forget that Lori Nichol reworked Evan's LP by the time Nationals and Worlds rolled around? And I don't exactly recall Dick Button jumping over his seat with joy at the sight of Tim painfully trying to show us that he had rhythm in that SP either. The program was simply busy. So I take your one :rolleyes: and give you 2 X:rolleyes:.

25. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

You're right. I forgot about 2003.

26. arakwafan2006

Did you conveniently forget that the program didnt look so reworked? oh wait... except the footwork was sluggish and too hard for Evan. He couldnt pull it off. Sorta like his stagnant Olympic one. And since i am 30 I wont subscribe to your petty multiplication of eye roll game. It was cute though

27. centerpt1

centerpt1 Active Member

I was there, too-and thought Tim should have won......but I was on the non judge side.....interesting

28. casken

casken Well-Known Member

I was never a fan of Tim's skating, but that program, and performance, were really remarkable. I remember just being so taken aback by it all.

If you told me I would be genuinely moved by Tim Geobel's skating, and while skating to Rachmaninoff on top of that, I would said that you were nuts. :lol:

I searched a bit but couldn't find it online though. Too bad.

29. pollyanna

pollyanna Don't blink

30. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

But maybe he lost his jumps by practicing a lot more spins and choreography. ;)