Time Travel Movies

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Vash01, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I'm not sure all of my selections count:
    1. Altered States
    2. Pleasantville
    3. Groundhog Day
    4. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (love, love, love the director)
    5. Star Trek: First Contact
    6. A Christmas Carol
    7. Frequency
    8. Peggy Sue Got Married
    9. Back To The Future
    10. Timeline
  2. triple_toe

triple_toe Well-Known Member

:cheer: I absolutely adore this movie! I think the cinematography is beautiful, and the use of music is fantastic. The "At Last" scene, when they are driving up to Lover's Lane is just stunning. :swoon: I also love the timing of the "Take Five" scene where Tobey Macguire (sp?) is describing the books. Sigh. Plus, William H. Macy is perfect in his role. Love him.
  3. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

4. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

Pleasantville I don't think is a genius movie, but I love it... Oh, I so love it....:D

Peggy Sue Got Married is a very profound movie, I always thought.... Love it!
  5. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Pleasantville was a great movie. How come I've never heard of Peggy Sue Got Married? I might Netflix it if hubby lets me into the queue.
  6. Tinami Amori

If your grand-parents passed away (I hope not yet).... you might cry watching this move.
  7. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

I love 12 Monkeys and Pleasantville too. :respec:

The thing I remember most from Back to the Future is Michael J Fox in his underwear. I was 11 at the time I saw it. :shuffle:
  8. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

12 Monkeys demonstrated to me that Brad Pitt is not just another Hollywood pretty boy but a talented actor.

I only have one grandparent left.
  9. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Active Member

What was the name of the movie about the guy from World War II who is discovered and awoken by a boy and is still the age he was when he disappeared then ages suddenly at the end of the movie? I think it had Jamie Lee Curtis and Mel Gibson in it. That is kind of time travelish.

And are you talking Grandparents and Peggy Sue in the 50's - oh my you are young. My parents are too old for that time-period let alone my grandparents.
  10. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

Just be prepared for a real douchey accent from Nicholas Cage. You have been warned.
  11. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I remember when Siskel and Ebert absolutely went gaga over Kathleen Turner's reaction when she answered the phone: And I have to admit...at that moment she went from looking like a woman in a teenagers garb to a teenager. Fine acting.
  12. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

The Philadelphia Experiment! A time travel movie that is based on a "true" story.

IMDB voters don't rate it very high (6.1) but I remember liking it a lot.

If you haven't seen Back to the Future, you are missing one of Michael J. Fox's most charming movies.
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  13. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

ITA. I hated Nicholas Cage's character in that movie - I wanted to send him for speech therapy.

As a dedicated Quantum Leap fan, rumor has it that they're making a movie, but the producers don't want Scott Bakula or Dean Stockwell to reprise their roles. The fans, of course, started a online protest petition.

Back to the Future is always my first choice. God bless Michael J. Fox - he was wonderful in those movies. We just watched the marathon on TV last week, even though we own the collectors' DVDs. We constantly quote lines from the trilogy of BTTF.

Somewhere in Time is my second choice.

However, let's not forget about Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_&_Ted's_Excellent_Adventure
  14. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

I used to love Quantum Leap! TPTB are probably conceiving it as a big action film with lots of high-speed chases and explosions.:blah: Sam and Al are a little old for that kind of thing now. Isn't Dean Stockwell like 80? Maybe they can appear as mentors to the next generation of leapers.

Bill and Ted is kind of a guilty pleasure for me. When I saw it on TV, I was pleasantly surprised. It was much more clever than the stupid theatrical trailers had made it look. It's still ridiculous (in an amusing way.):)
  15. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Not sure if this qualifies but Momento with Guy Pierce. The film would not have worked if it didn't keep backtracking on itself.

Another vote for Back to the Future. All three are really good. And love Groundhog Day.

I will put a vote in for Blackadder's Christmas Carol.
  16. triple_toe

triple_toe Well-Known Member

Blackadder's Back and Forth too! :inavoid:
  17. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

We watch Groundhog Day every Groundhog Day in our house. I gave it to DH for Valentine's Day last year. I love the whole "learn to play the piano expertly, one day at a time" story arc.
  18. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

What about Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure? :lol:

ETA: :eek: FigureSpins beat me to it :lol:
  19. emason

emason Well-Known Member

From an earlier era, one I don't think anyone has mentioned: Portrait of Jennie with Jennifer Jones and Joseph Cotton.
  20. skatefan

skatefan Well-Known Member

Forever Young - lovely movie.

I loved The Lake House, The Time Machine (2002) with its fabulous soundtrack, Terminator series, Thrill Seekers (Casper van Dien), the ending of the first Planet of the Apes - love it :shuffle: The Two Worlds of Jennie Logan (Lindsay Wagner and Marc Singer).
  21. Norlite

Norlite New Member

I know I saw it, in the theatre, when it first came out but I honestly have almost no recollection of the movie at all. I guess that's how much it impressed me. I might watch it again sometime to see if it does anything for me now.

And weird that people like the Lakehouse. I also saw that when it first came out and honestly thought it was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. I remember posting that right here as soon as I returned home, I was so :rolleyes: over it. I've since seen it in TV and it didn't seem as bad as when I first saw it. Not to say it was now good or anything.
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  22. emason

emason Well-Known Member

I like The Lake House also, but timing is everything. I'd had a long, crummy week at work and I needed a piece of total inconsequential fluff to cheer me up and distract me.
  23. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Add my votes for Pleasantville (funny, didn't really think of it as "time travel" before this thread but I guess it is, kinda), Peggy Sue Got Married, and Frequency, all superb. The Time Bandits was lots of silly fun. I also liked The Lake House more than I thought I would. And I even liked The Time Traveller's Wife -- probably because I went in with rock-bottom low expectations.

The tv-movie adaptation of A Wrinkle in Time was pretty bad, but I mention it just to plug the excellent book on which it was based.

Doctor Who -- particularly "NuWho" -- is the time travel TV series by which all others are judged. There were also some great time-travel episodes of Star Trek, particularly "Trials & Tribble-ations" (DS9), the series finale of Voyager, and "Tapestry" (TNG) -- others too but those are the ones off the top of my head.
  24. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

Re - Peggy Sue Got Married - not a great movie, a good one with some nice moments.
    My fav - Peggy Sue is in math class (algebra I think), and when the teacher asks her a question, she states she knows for a fact she will never need to know it. hee hee

Loved Somewhere in Time (C Reeve and J Seymour). Also loved Timeline - the book - will have to check out the movie.
  25. Flatfoote

Flatfoote Active Member

Interesting, until reading the original post, I never thought of Somewhere in Time as a time travel movie, although of course I know the plot very well, and of course it involves time travel. I always catagorized it as a romance movie. Its on my short list of all time favorite movies ever, and that says a lot since I'm not all that enamoured with romance movies. Thanks to the OP, I can now think of it as a time travel movie. LOL. But I do think it is THE best/most romantic movie I've ever seen.
  26. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Active Member

I loved the Philadelphia Experiment! I think it was mostly because of Michael Pare's excellent deep voice - gave me shivers.

and thank you Skatefan for id-ing Forever Young
  27. nlyoung

nlyoung Active Member

It's not technically "time travel", but Sliding Doors was a great alternate reality time line movie.
  28. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Well if we're opening that door (sorry), I'd say Me Myself I with Rachel Griffiths is a much better example.
  29. Aussie Willy

Has anyone seen Dreamship Surprise? A time travel film with a couch as a time machine.

It is a German film which is a take off of Star Wars and Star Trek and is hilarious. The crew of the ship are all gay. The problem when I saw it on DVD was the copy my friend got didn't have English subtitles. The thing was we could still understand what happened anyway. Funny thing was the songs were all sung in English.
  30. Tinami Amori

It is not a cinematographic masterpiece, but it has a lot of interesting “movie trivia” elements, such it being a rather unusual genre for Francis Ford Coppola; one of the first acting roles in a famous director’s movies for Jim Carey and Helen Hunt; the time traveler being a woman and “female perspective”, etc.

On the other note: Can “History of the World I and II” be classified as “Time travel movies”? The main characters do abruptly leave one historic time period and pop up in the other…. going forward….

Same question for “Logan’s Run”… The hero leaves his world and comes out in Washington DC, some post world holocaust event, when everything is in ruins… Relevant to our times it’s future…..
  31. Aussie Willy

Ooo yes I think so.

It's good to be the king!
  32. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

Count da Money: Sire, the peasants are revolting.

Da King: I'll say. They stink on ice!
  33. Andrushka

Andrushka New Member

I like Timeline because of Gerard Butler with his full Scottish accent.
  34. pilgrimsoul

pilgrimsoul Active Member

Aaaaagh!! History of The World Part I is one of my top 5 favorite comedies! LOL at the guy hawking plumbing in Rome: "It's amazing, it's astounding, get on the bandwagon - pipe the shit RIGHT out of your HOUSE!"

It must also be said that Madeline Kahn was a scream as Empress Nympho! God, that woman was hilarious.
  35. Aussie Willy

Love Madeline Kahn. Yes No No No No No No Yes.

I also liked Spike Milligan as the father freeing the birds.

And can't forget Hilter on Ice.