Time Travel Movies

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Vash01, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I recently saw the movie 'Somewhere in time' and loved it. Actually I had seen it years earlier and liked it a lot, but this time I enjoyed it more, noticing a lot of details that I missed the first time. The music (by John Barry) in it has been my favorite for years.

That made me wonder about time travel movies. This movie was heavily criticized, from what I heard, for the time travel concept. However, other time travel movies have been made and been successful to various extents.

The others I can think of are:

Kate & Leopold (I liked this)

Time traveler's wife (did not like at all)

Back to the future (did not see, but I have heard about it)

There are movies that are shown out of sequence, but I don't consider them time travel movies. I am sure there are more time travel movies, but I can't think of any. Netflix had a list but I was not familiar with any of those- obviously not famous.
  2. Kevin C

Kevin C New Member

Some that I've seen:

Timecrimes (Spanish film, originally titled Los cronocrímenes). A good movie.

Terminator films (1&2 were excellent, 3 was mediocre, I didn't watch 4 because the reviews were so bad).

Donnie Darko - another excellent movie.

Happy Accidents and Deja Vu - both mediocre. I can't remember much of either movie, which is not a good thing.

Peggy Sue Got Married - entertaining.
  3. Kevin C

Kevin C New Member

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  4. kia_4EverOnIce

kia_4EverOnIce New Member

Kate & Leopold is one of my favourites!

Timeline (from Crichton's book, never seen the film, but I liked the book)
  5. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Two versions of The Time Machine based on the H.G. Wells novel.
  6. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Never heard of Happy Accidents.

I liked Deja Vu more than Donnie Darko, which was too confusing for me.
  7. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Some good ones at allmovie.com (which has links to genres of movies with similar themes):

All Movie Time Travel Films

...we forgot to mention Planet Of The Apes! I LOVED that one as a kid! :cheer2:

I think we are coming up with a much better list than this one: :lol:

Top 10 Time Travel Movies

I LOVED "Deja Vu". But then I think anything with Denzel Washington in it is always 100% entertaining.

Deja Vu Trailer - also starring Val Kilmer, James Caviezel, Adam Goldberg, Bruce Greenwood, Matt Craven, Elle Fanning and Paula Patton ("Precious")...directed by Tony Scott

Timeline was decent. But not as good as Deja Vu... :D

Timeline trailer - starring Paul Walker, Gerard Butler, Michael Sheen, Billy Connolly, David Thewlis and....Matt Craven (does he only do time-travel movies??) ;)

ETA: Lots listed at Wiki!

Wikipedia's Time Travel Movie List
    Eden and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I've had the dvd for Time after Time in my "to watch" pile for months. Maybe I'll finally get to it this weekend

There is also an animated Japanese film I just saw a few weeks ago about a school girl who can jump back brief periods of time and her two friends, but I can't recall the name of it now.
  9. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

The butterfly effect - starring Ashton Kutcher and Amy Smart.

3D Animation - Meet the Robinsons

Japanese Anime (There are actually many series with time travel theme/element, but these two are the ones I can think of that are standalone movies. Probably not what you're looking for though :shuffle:)
    Akira
    Toki o Kakeru Shoujo
  10. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

So that's two recommendations for Deja Vu against Kevin C's opposite opinion.

But just a heads-up that the time travel is only a matter of a few days, not between different eras. It's primarily a thriller.
  11. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Active Member

Off the top

Frequency with Dennis Quaid and I think the name was TimeCop? with Jean-Claude Van Damme.
  12. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Me too! Let's see...Hugh Jackman in late Victorian garb and riding a horse....who else was in the movie??? No, I know Meg Ryan was in it, but I don't think I looked at anyone besides the pulchritudinous Mr. Jackman. Hugh is so much prettier than Meg! (Especially in that movie-she looked terrible and her potty mouth did nothing for her, either.)
  13. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I loved Frequency!
  14. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I didn't like Kate & Leopold as a movie, though I really liked Hugh Jackman in it. But Meg Ryan was pretty bad, and I think she had the single worst haircut I've ever seen in a movie.

The Time Machine (2002) was pretty bad, but I remember it had one gorgeous shot of the crumbled-up moon in the sky. I think that one shot was pretty nearly the only good thing in it!

Oh, and I loved Frequency too.
  15. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

Just want to add my endorsements for Deja Vu, Frequency, and The Butterfly Effect.

And you've gotta see Back to the Future. Time travel aside, it's just a classic.
  16. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Wasn't the message of "Kate & Leopold" that a woman is nothing without a man? Or that the only good male on the planet is one that existed hundreds upon hundreds of years ago? I saw this movie years ago with my best female friend, and while we thought it was a well-done movie with a likeable cast, the overall them really put us off...
  17. kia_4EverOnIce

kia_4EverOnIce New Member

yeah, maybe the message is a bit of a Disney for grown up girls, let's say Cinderella-updated? But from a female POV I saw Hugh Jackman...and then yeah, there was also the film, nice story, ... :D
  18. triple_toe

triple_toe Well-Known Member

I also thought Donnie Darko was excellent. But completely not like Kate and Leopold or Back to the Future :lol:. But if you want something darker and more creepy, it can't be beat.
  19. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

12 Monkeys! AMAAZING movie
  20. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Was Meg ever any good, really, in anything? Maybe as the officer's wife in Top Gun...

I didn't mind it; the concept of it I found fascinating; the improvements in F/X helped to realize the fantasticism of Wells' vision, much more so than the 60s version with Rod Taylor (but Taylor was :smokin:; I admit to a crush on him). Guy Pearce looked so sickly in the film; IIRC, there were rumors of an eating disorder.
  21. triple_toe

How dare you? :mitchell: Meg was a rom-com queen before she screwed up her face, You've Got Mail is my favorite fluffy movie EVAH! Have you no appreciation for modern American cinema? :drama:
  22. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

:lol: no, I guess I don't :D!!!
  23. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

I heard on the radio a couple of days ago that Meg Ryan and John Mellencamp are now dating. I don't know why they strike me as a :huh: type of couple, but they do.

Time Bandits.
  24. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Quick John, RUN! :scream: Leave skid marks if ya have to, but GET OUTTA THERE!!!
  25. skategal

skategal Well-Known Member

'Hot Tub Time Machine.'

What about '13 Going on 30?' Does that count as a time travel movie? That was a good one too.
  26. triple_toe

Rex, next you're going to say that you don't like my Sandy! :eek: Who, to stay relevant to the thread, also starred in a pseudo-time travel movie, along with Keanu Reeves and a mailbox.
    Out of the two, the mailbox was not only the better actor, but also had more chemistry with Sandra :eek:
    My mind is completely blank on the name of the film, though.
  27. Southpaw

The Lake House :cheer:
  28. Amy L

Amy L Well-Known Member

I didn't like The Butterfly Effect, I thought is was so hilariously bad that I actually got the giggle fits during the last scene (thankfully I was at home and not in a movie theatre!)

Kate & Leopold was all right, but some of it was a little weird
    if elevators were never invented, how come there were still elevator shafts???

I loved Donnie Darko, but get the Director's Cut instead of the cinematic version of the film. The Director's Cut makes it easier to follow the plot.
  29. triple_toe

YES! That was it. It's a fun movie to watch when you want a bit of light entertainment. I thought the twist about
    the accident at the beginning
    was pretty obvious, and a little too easily fixed, but Sandy was delightful and charming as always, and there were definitely some cute moments. YMMV, but I thought that although it's a drama, it was fairly easy to watch and not too heavy. :)
  30. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Another vote for Twelve Monkeys. Really interesting and Brad Pitt in a non-pulchritudinous role. I mean, the guy can't be anything but pulchritudinous (thanks HC, love that word), but he actually ACTS in this movie.

Lost in Austen. Pretty silly but a few priceless moments, especially if you're fond of the 1995 BBC adaptation of Pride & Prejudice.
  31. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I love Sandra Bullock. Sandra is my GURL!!!!
  32. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

My fave Meg Ryan films:

Body Of Proof
    In The Cut
    In The Land Of Women
    City Of Angels

I hear she's been in comedies as well as dramas. ;)

Still haven't seen "Courage Under Fire" or "The Doors" yet...
  33. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Oh yes!! One of the trippiest movies I've ever seen and Brad Pitt was at his best - completely stepped out of his comfort zone. The end of the movie was just brilliant.
  34. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

35. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

Sandra was in The Lake House? Oh, that's who that dark haired woman was with my Keanu.
  36. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Would The Strange Case of Benjamin Button count as a time machine movie?
  37. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

You mean Proof of Life, dear.
  38. Southpaw

Oh, how can I forget this classic? Sleeper.

And along the same lines, Austin Powers.
  39. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

I like these...

- Solaris (Classic Russian Science fiction by famous film-maker Tarkovsky)
    - Window to Paris (a great comedy about Soviet family discovering a hole in the wall which leads to the streets of Paris.
    - Ivan Vasilievich is Changing Careers (Russian comedy with dancing and singing)
    - French LieutenantÂ’s Woman (classic novel)
    - Kin dzha dzha
    - Lost in Austen (currently on US-TV on PBS)
    - Dr. Who
  40. Amy L

Amy L Well-Known Member

Oooh, I love Doctor Who. But since it's a TV show that's been on for 50 years (with a 15 year break starting in the 90s), the thought of "catching up" with it is daunting. I'd recommend starting with the 2005 "reboot" and seeing how that goes. It's a British TV show about an alien who travels through time and space. Netflix has all the seasons, or you could catch reruns on PBS, SyFy, or BBC America. The new season is supposed to debut this spring.