time to confess: do you skip ahead when you read

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by jlai, Dec 1, 2010.

1. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

Japanfan : Wheel of time is one of them, but I usually reread all the series before I read the new one. I just finished the book just released. I wish we wouldn't have to wait at least one year for the last book of the series !!!!!!!!!!!!

You do have to remind yourself of the story anyway, so re reading all of the book is one way of doing so :)

And I am still WAITING for the Game of Thrones latest books. He is way too occupied with the show and I am getting MAD at him !

rjblue and (deleted member) like this.
  2. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Agreed. Also have a problem with Janny Wurtz and her Curse of the Mistwraith series; she is really dragging this out and once she had her main characters drink a longevity potion that meant they would both live to be at least 500 years old, I figured I might never see the end of the saga.

As for the original question, sometimes I peek ahead at the very end to see how things come out, especially if I fear the worst for some character I'm fond of, but if I'm seriously reading a book, I read the whole thing. I will, however, give up on a book fairly quickly if it isn't pulling me in, keeping my interest, etc.

3. John 3 17

John 3 17 Well-Known Member

ITA. As the tee shirt in the "Wireless" catalog said, "Too many books, too little time". We can't waste time when there are other books calling us!

-Bridget :)

4. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

I only read ahead if the book is boring. Inkheart was a difficult book to read in English (translated from German), so I read part of the last chapter just before giving up on the novel entirely. Glad I did - I ended up struggling through that book and the sequels were much better. Love the story itself.

5. Squibble

Squibble New Member

I haven't read the entire thread, just the last two posts. Sorry. What's the subject again? :confused:

6. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I almost always read the ending of a book or skip around. I get bored reading books because there are rarely any new concepts for a book.

Who-done-it: someone killed, 3-7 potential killers, 1-10 investigators, 2-10 potential next victims, plot line focused on why someone would kill the person. Discover the motive and murderer at the end of the story.
    Romance: young innocent woman caught in the confines of what society deems appropriate, and one who has intelligence/skills to do a "man's job" not wanting to be rescued but in the end finds her true love. Insert villian who is trying to come between princess and her prince

etc. So I will fast forward to the end to see if I like the ending and if so, then I will put the effort into reading. Rare exception: J.D. Robb series of "Death by...." Or Nora Epfron books

7. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

It seemed to me that the story-lines got lost in the last half of the series. We learned in something like Book 4 that Matt was to marry the Daughter of the Nine Moons, and then he finally met her in Book 9. I felt that Jorden had lost control of his multiple storylines and that the wheels within wheels were careening out of control.

Would it be different if I re-read the whole series consecutively?

I'm waiting on that one too - am wondering in fact if Martin will ever finish it. IIRC he said he was depressed and begged his audience's understanding.

That one I'll happily re-read in entirety, should it ever be finished.

8. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

He's depressed. OH COME ON.
    The guy has spent ALL LAST YEAR and all this year preparing the Game Of Thrones TV Show. And the books ? No of course he had no time to do so ....
    I am so mad at him !!!!!!!!!!!

As for WHEEL OF TIME, I kind of disagree. He maybe lost control of the pace of his telling of the story, wasting too much times on Rand, Elayne and the Aes Sedai in a big way, but it all kinds of fall into pieces with the last Sanderson books.

Is there any other cycle you can think of I should read ? I already have all the Eddings, McCaffrey, Zimmer Bradley, Hobbs, Herbert, Assimov, Tolkien, Silverberg, Van voigt etc.

9. Japanfan

You've probably read Goodkind's series? Unsatisfactory ending IMO, leaving major issues unresolved.

I also enjoy Melanie Rawn's two dragon trilogies: Dragon Prince, The Star Scroll, Sunrunner's Fire and Stronghold, The Dragon Token, and Skybowl. And Rawn has written two of another trilogy, Exiles, and I've been waiting at least five years for that. . .

And have you read Stephen Donaldson's Thomas Covenant Series? It's one of the best I've ever read, there are two trilogies (The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant and The Second Chronicles of Thomas Convent) and a final four-set work (The Last Chronicles) is in progress, two have been published. These series are so good that they merit a reread once every few years.

Also, I'd recommend the books of Juliet Marrilier if you like fantasy/historical fiction. Her books are all set around roughly around the time of Christ's birth in the UK. She has a rare gift as a storyteller and her books are just amazing reads.

10. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

Yay!The Wheel of Time series discussion.
    Yes, Jordan has so many details that read differently when you know how the character is going to develop in later books.
    Verin!, for example.
    And it's really fun to reread them along with Leigh Butler's reread blog. I did some major skipping around to follow story threads- especially Matt's- the first time I read the books. I liked the series the first time I read it, but I loved it the second time.

It really does. Brandon is doing a magnificent job.

That is what came to my mind first. I'd also recommend Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan series. Most of them are more like stand-alone books written in the same world, but the main characters are people I never tire of reading about.

11. mkats

mkats New Member

Speaking of authors who take forever to crank out the next one, I wonder when we'll finally see Book 6 of the Clan of the Cave Bear series...I think it's been 12 years or something since the last one?

12. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

Yes, I skip to the end. My philosophy is like that of Billy Crystal in When Harry Met Sally. I skip to find out how the book ends. That way if I die before I finish the book, I know what happened.

13. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

I always skip to the end. I don't like suspense or surprises, I love spoilers, and I prefer to know how things are going to end while I am going through it. The question for me is not whether I will skip to the end, but when :)

14. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

I use to before I got my Kindle which makes it hard to skip so many pages.

15. NancyNC

NancyNC Well-Known Member

I never read ahead in a book. But I don't mind being spoiled for TV and sometimes sports, depending on the circumstances.

16. Marlowe

Marlowe Well-Known Member

I used to when reading Stephen King... but my Kindle makes skipping ahead less attractive.

17. Japanfan

I didn't read past Book 4, which was a real disappointment after the first three. Nothing much happened and there were endless descriptions of pottery-making and basket weaving, and such.

Was the fifth any better?

18. mkats

mkats New Member

No. 5th was infinitely worse. I almost became a botanist, and yet I was sick of reading about datura.

But it did throw out some intriguing hints about what might happen in Book 6 - which is the only reason I want to read it :)

19. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

What? I went to the last page of this thread :shuffle:

20. Indra486

Indra486 Well-Known Member

Yes. Sometimes, depending on the book (like a series) and to get it out of the way, I flip to the last chapter and read it. Then I go back to the beginning and start as I should have properly. I did that with the last two HP books, Breaking Down (a random dramatic reading in the bookstore actually) and A Darkling Plain (Mortal Engines series).

The only time I ever regret doing so was with A Darkling Plain. For the other three I mentioned, I shrugged my shoulders. I read the HP books, despite not liking the epilogue. With Breaking Dawn, I just wanted a laugh. Now, with A Darkling Plain, I sat there like this :confused: for a good five minutes processing the end of the entire series. It wasn't the ending I expected but I should have given the nature of the series.

21. Evilynn

Evilynn ((Swedish skating dudes))

I never skip ahead. I feel like it's cheating. OTOH I can count the number of works of fiction I didn't finish on the fingers of one hand, so I've clearly got issues. :lol:

I'm not sure it was supposed to be mainly romantic? Niffenegger said her themes were "mutants, love, death, amputation, sex, and time". I was quite happy it wasn't mainly romance, and love it and the ending both. :)

I don't think it's the show so much as he just wrote himself into a corner. He originally planned to write 6 books with a 5 year gap (book time) between book 3 and 4. Then by book 3 he realized that didn't work, so he skipped the gap, which apparently wreaked havoc on his plots, especially the one concerning Daenerys. Judging by his not!blog he's making some progress on that, but it's still not resolved.

I'm wondering if he'll get a kick up the backside when he realizes the show (unless it gets cancelled) is going to outrun to books in terms of plot?

22. Andrushka

Andrushka Well-Known Member

Not usually.I did briefly when I was reading War and Peace and was bogged down in a boring bit,wanted to know if it would get any better.lol

23. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I read 3/4 of it and didn't get any of that, either. It was all very contrived under the guise of creative fantasy and the female character was manipulated. I tire easily of stories of weak females being manipulated by men.

24. kia_4EverOnIce

kia_4EverOnIce New Member

I skip when I'm reading book for researches (I just look for the data that interests me...), but when I read novels I try to avoid this (did it only with the last harry potter, because I hadn't time but wanted to know how it finished!)

25. shiningstar

shiningstar Active Member

My English Prof says she ALWAYS reads the ends of novels first. She says she is less interested in what happens and more interested in how and why it happens.

26. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

No, I never skip ahead, it would ruin the whole book for me.
    Especially a mystery. What would be the point if you know who did it ahead of time.

27. Evilynn

Evilynn ((Swedish skating dudes))

Did we read the same book? :lol: How could you not get any of those themes at all? Henry is a mutant. The time and love aspect runs through it all, both death and amputation are heavily foreshadowed in the book, and death is quite present
    even before the demise of Henry, with Clare's miscarriages
    even if I think most of the actual story touching those points are in the last quarter.

The chicken-or-the-egg thing with Clare doesn't totally work for me either (although I don't read her as particularly weak). He's supposed to orbit her life in particular because she is the most important person in his lifetime, but did she end up being that person because he popped up when she was a kid?

Erp. Sorry. Thread drift. :slinkaway

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  28. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

March. It's the last one. The title is The Painted Caves.

29. Nan

Nan Just me

I feel the same way, but it leads me to a different action.

If I'm getting a bit bogged down in a story, but I WANT to finish it, I sometimes go to the end and it often sparks more interest. I find I want to know HOW the story gets from where I am to where it ends.

30. znachki

znachki Active Member

I never skip to the end of a book, I like the journey too much. During Buffy Season 6 I was a real spoiler whore, but discovered that I didn't enjoy the show as much, so now I try to avoid spoilers in general.

I've only deliberately spoiled myself for a book once. I'd seen something about a big brouhaha because a character had been killed off, so I went to find out who. Mostly because I needed to be prepared in case. Turned out that it wasn't one of the characters I feared for, so all was good.

For the "too many books, too little time" crowd. Do what I do and follow Nancy Pearl's (librarian and action figure!) "Rule of 50". http://nancypearlbooks.wordpress.com/pearlisms/