time to confess: do you skip ahead when you read

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by jlai, Dec 1, 2010.

1. jlai

jlai Title-less

I must admit I skip to the end in, like, every book. I feel :eek: for being such a bad reader but resistance is futile.

2. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Yes, sometimes if I feel like the ending is heading towards an eyerolling ending. I'm glad I skipped to the end of the Time Traveler's Wife. Stopped reading it after I read the ending :p

3. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

I do too. (I also read spoilers for TV shows and movies. Self-control: I do not have it.) I tend to reread books I really like anyhow, so knowing the ending isn't a dealbreaker for me.

KatieC and (deleted member) like this.
  4. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I'm so happy someone else is saying they put that book down. I did the same thing. What I did get through, I found creepy. I felt like he was manipulating a child then teenager and the relationship was wrong on many levels. Not romantic.

What I have learned is if I am wanting to skip ahead, it's not a very good book and I might as well just give up reading it. This is new. I used to be the person who finished any book I started no matter how dreary and boring I found it to be. I have only liberated myself from that in the last few years and it is refreshing.

5. Nekatiivi

Nekatiivi Well-Known Member

Yes, especially if the book is bad. Most of the time I never pick it up again... But I do read my favorite books many times.

6. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

Yes, I almost always look at the end of the book. I can't help it.

7. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I definitely did in graduate school. When I had to get through a 500 page book in a night, I would have to skim and skip quite a bit.

8. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Sometimes I do early on in the book, sometimes I check when much later just to see if my predicted ending is likely. Most often than not, I don't check endings but the fact that I do some of the time is something that has developed in my reading in say, about the last 5 or so years. I never used to check endings prior to that.
    Good question.

9. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

nope! as any followers of reality competition threads know, I hate being spoiled :lol:

I do occasionally flip forward to see how many pages until the end of a chapter (I often read before falling asleep) but I try to not read even a single word while doing it :p

10. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Same here. I don't often reread books (I have way too many for that) so I don't care for spoilers.

11. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I would typically skip all over a book when I was a kid. Finally made myself break the habit. Although at times, if I hit a boring patch, I'll flip just a little ahead to see if things are going to liven up again. :)

12. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I don't read ahead, but I love to be spoiled when it comes to movies, tv or sports.

13. BelleBway

BelleBway a monkey stole my title

Never. I used to as a pre-teen/teen... back when I went through a tragic period during which school made reading not enjoyable for me. :drama: (Loved reading when I was young... but then being forced to read and take stupid multiple choice tests came close to killing that love)

Sometimes I don't even read the back of the book because I want to be surprised. (I usually read it when I originally decide to read the book, but by the time I actually read it, I've usually forgotten some of the details :shuffle:)

Same here- I read a lot in bed at night, but at other times I may have something to do and need to decide if I have enough time to finish the chapter.

14. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I frequently sneak a peak ahead because I love being spoiled but rarely skip altogether.

15. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I do re-read books sometimes - even whodunnits! - but the first time I don't want to know where the story is heading. There are books I've been interested in and decided not to read because someone told me the ending - same thing with movies.

16. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I always skip ahead. Mostly to see if I'd figured the plot correctly. Sadly, I usually do as plotting has given way to character development in fiction. It seems very few writers can actually do both.

17. musicgurl

musicgurl I know a place...

I always skip ahead. I've done it since I started reading Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys novels when I was around 6 or 7. I never got out of the habit. I'm also very fond of spoilers. In movies, tv shows, and figure skating. I find I actually enjoy skating more when I know the results. Less stressing about how my favourites are doing lol.

18. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

I only skip ahead occasionally. If it's very late in the evening (1-2 am), I'll skip to the back in an attempt to make myself stop reading. If it's a bad book, I'll read the ending and skip the middle.

I read 3/4 of A Fine Balance, but then when it seemed like all the characters I'd grown to care about were about to have very bad things happen to them, I read the last few chapters and put the book aside because I couldn't bear to read it anymore.

19. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

If you mean any king of writing, then yes, I skip if it contains the information I already know (in news articles or tech materials).

In creative literature, or opinions, or commentary – NEVER! Whatever is written there has a purpose and intends to create an effect. You can’t get a full picture if you don’t read it all.

It’s not about “the ending”.

Writing is an art form, and every word is a brush-stroke and an element of that art work.

20. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

All the time. I read the beginning of a book, then I skip to the end, and if it's a book I'm enjoying I go back and read the middle.

21. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I skip ahead when there are multiple story lines and the author switches from one to the other at a critical moment. Then I flip the pages to find where the storyline is picked up and see what happened next.

22. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

I must admit that for just about every book I read I do read the last couple of pages first. My Kindle has kept me from doing that--go figure. But I hate being spoiled in my reality shows.

23. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

It depends on how interesting the book is. If the book manages to draw me in right from the beginning, than I keep reading straight through. If it starts out a little meh, I'll skip ahead to see if it gets better and is worth continuing to read.

Or, if there are multiple storylines going on, I'll skip ahead and read about just the ones that interested me. I find when there is more than one main character, the story for at least one of them tends to be a little dull.

24. talldrink

talldrink New Member

I NEVER do. Not because I feel it's wrong or anything, but it just doesn't occur to me. I like the process of reading and uncovering the story!

25. mkats

mkats New Member

Only once, ever, when I was reading "My Sister's Keeper" :p

I don't like being spoiled with books/stories/movies... I do however read all spoilers for TV shows and skating events.

26. KatieC

KatieC Going in circles

I've never read the end before I got there. But I find lately I'm much more prone to giving up part way through if I'm bored or irritated. When I was young I plowed through to the bitter end. Reread books all the time, even sometimes going back to children's books. If they improve my mood, or take me away from cares or worries, why not?

27. John 3 17

John 3 17 Well-Known Member

Only if a book starts to go badly. Then, I skip to the end to see if it's worth slogging through the middle. Thankfully, this hardly ever happens to me.

-Bridget

28. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

Since I re read all my books several time (mainly because there's the new book coming out and I need to re read the 12 volumes before), I sometimes jump to the end to see how it's ending :)

29. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I ALWAYS skip to the end! :lol: Well my method is, I read the beginning, then read the end, then read the middle in random pieces. It's rather Memento-like. I like the mental exercise of piecing everything together.

Discovering Catch-22 in middle school was fantastic, because the book did the jumping for me, while my classmates were absolutely dumbfounded. :rofl:

30. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Do you refer to Robert Jordan/Brandon Sanderson's "Wheel of Time" series?

I don't know if I could do all 12 again, or if it would be different reading them continuously as opposed to waiting two years between books.