Time Magazine's Breastfeeding Cover

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by skipaway, May 10, 2012.

1. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

All I can say is, Wow.

Current Time Magazine

2. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

Of course Time would have to choose a mother who actually looks like a model. :lol:

I would be nice if they actually let me read the article associated with the cover. I've been curious whether a woman can do attachment parent and hold down a full time job outside of the home. It just doesn't seem possible...

I was able to read the following column, which accompanied the cover story and is rather interesting:

http://ideas.time.com/2012/05/10/the-science-behind-dr-sears-does-it-stand-up/

3. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

Not sure what all goes into attachment parenting, but extended breastfeeding isn't difficult to do with a full-time job because by the time the baby is older, s/he is typically only nursing in the morning and/or evening.

FWIW, I breastfed both my babies for a good amount of time with no bottles, and worked full-time outside the home.

4. skategal

skategal Bunny slave

Co-sleeping/family bed should also be compatible with full-time work outside the home.

5. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

Not having read the article, I am reacting strictly to contents of posts here, and therefore...ATTACHMENT PARENT? Does that include umbilical cord still being intact? :eek:

6. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

Attachment Parenting

7. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

8. Prancer

9. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

It is also compatible with a very high percentage of the remaining sudden infant deaths. :scream:
    http://www.medscape.org/viewarticle/762302

10. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

Your article won't open for me, but aren't most infant deaths related to co-sleeping because of alcohol/drug impairment on the part of the parent?
    http://www.medpagetoday.com/Pediatrics/GeneralPediatrics/16428

11. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

It seems like the latest thing to make parents feel guilty about if they don't choose to do this.
    I'd be worried about un-healthy parent/child relationships later in life, as well.

12. susan6

susan6 Well-Known Member

We've had some local ads warning parents to not have their babies sleep in the same bed, that putting them in an empty/uncluttered crib is safer. Given the co-sleeping trend, I thought it was kind of weird.

13. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Now ubering Machida's hair

SIDS: I find it interesting that the advice is regional - except sleeping on the back, which seems to be the number 1 prevention against SIDS. In the US they advice to have the baby sleep in an empty crib, using sleepsacks etc. In Denmark everyone uses down comforters (ugh I hate sheets and have my importet comforters!) including babies. On the other hand, they advice that the room the baby sleeps in is cool, around 16 degrees C. (about 60 F).

I also think it might be more normal in Denmark to have the infant sleep in your bed (comforters and all), but I am not sure.

Attachement parenting: I think of it more as a gradual thing, and a reaction to the seperation/Cry it out/independence trend - baby is supposed to be able to sleep by itslef by 6months, not get fed on demand anymore, and so forth.
    Personally, I feel most parents would do something in between - whatever works for you. I find it odd when people get 'married' to an idea - families are different.

14. DFJ

DFJ Well-Known Member

Call me selfish but I quite liked having some time to myself at the end of the day. My kids never slept with me and they grew up to be normal, healthy children (and adults).

My girlfiend's daughter had the most beautiful 9-month old little girl. She was crying early one morning so her mom brought her to bed with her and they both fell back to sleep. When mom woke up, her baby girl had died. Horrific story. Nothing could revive her. Now her mom still lives with the horrible thought that she may have smothered her daughter. Nothing anyone said to her could make her feel differently. No thanks...babies are fine in their own space.

15. Hannahclear

Hannahclear Well-Known Member

I hate Dr. Sears with the fire of a thousand suns. That damn Baby Book really messed with my head when I was in a very new and unfamiliar mental space.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  16. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Well...she probably did. That's not unheard of and why there are ad campaigns telling parents to put babies in cribs where they belong.

I don't know, the page Prancer linked to sounds like a recipe for spoiled kids who think the world revolves around them.

17. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

This woman's boobs aren't big enough to have a significant amount of milk. Why is she still doing it?

18. Prancer

There were parents trying to make me feel guilty about not doing this 18 years ago.

Nothing unusual in that. People try to make parents feel guilty for everything.

I think most new parents are scared half to death and thus get very caught up in doing things the right way; some of them don't get over it. And thanks to Freud, we all believe that parenting determines destiny, so heaven forfend that a parent do it the wrong way.

19. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I remember being scared to death as a new mom and being terrified of not doing things "the right way" whatever that means. I was worried about not producing enough milk, about my son being hungry, about changing his diaper every time he nursed (not sure where I got that idea) about him feeling fussy and me thinking I ate something that made him that way, this is after I eschewed all cabbage, broccoli, onions, caffeine and refined sugar from my diet. :yikes:

Thankfully, it got better, it had to. :lol: And Freud is very old school. Modern child development classes don't emphasize Freud nearly as much and some not at all.

20. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

All I can say is that someone felt compelled to have their photo on a major magazine cover with their 3 year old stuck orally to their left tit. I mean, who the hell would do that? The fact that she's so young and modelish make me go....right! Why not the Mom-next-door?

I have no problem if someone wants to breastfeed their kid until they shove him down the aisle to meet his bride. It's none of my business. But that cover smacks of sensationalism. Barf! Wasn't there something like this on Game of Thrones? Little weevil of a kid and a vicious mother... (maybe that's my problem...)

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  21. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

I hope you are joking?

My breast only hit a B cup for about 24 hours when my milk first came in. For most of the time I was breastfeeding, I was a small A. And breastfeeding had no effect on the appearance of my breasts, they still look mostly the same at 50 as they did at 25. My daughter gained over a pound a week on my milk, and my 11 lb son stayed above the 100th percentile and outgrew his infant seat at 4 months. The size of the breast indicates how much fat surrounds the milk glands and ducts, not the amount of milk they can produce.

From the way this was talked about on the news, I was expecting an older looking child.

I slept with all three of my kids. It started when the nurse brought my first baby to me, on the first night of being a mom. We fell asleep while she was nursing, and woke up 5 hours later. I thought "This is great!" and never tried to make her stay in her crib in the middle of the night. I got lots of sleep with my infants.

eta- I also breastfed the two younger ones until they were around 2, and I worked after they were 6 months old without any problems with adequate milk supply.

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  22. Prancer

It's not about studying Freud per se, but rather about how we have all embraced and internalized psychology, often without a whole lot of knowledge or understanding.

23. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

24. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Size of the breast is no indication of milk supply.

How many of you think that kid is not 3? He looks older to me somehow.

Ridiculously sensationalistic cover. And I'm right there with all of you who are :rolleyes: at the fact that the mom is absolutely gorgeous and slim (and probably well rested and in great shape from 2 hours a day at the gym and custom-made organic vegetarian diet, courtesy of the live-in help).

25. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Milk ducts and milk-producing cells grow during pregnancy, even if you started out with a small cup size. In a lactating woman, breasts engorge with milk. These do not look engorged with anything.

If you say she has an ample milk supply, where do you suppose she keeps it? If she produces a lot, she'd have to nurse very frequently to empty because her storage isn't that big. So there goes your theory of being in a gym for 2 hours a day.

26. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

That boy looks a lot older than my 3 year old. Maybe he's closer to 4?

27. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Isn't that what some posters said, that he is approaching 4?

I have never heard of scoreless athletics that Karina's article mentioned. Has anyone?

28. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Now ubering Machida's hair

While my breasts are bigge than hers, even was before I nursed, they don't look that small to me.

I am so happy I didn't read any parenting books, but followed my peditrician's basic advice and my instincts. Worked out well. Only thing that terrified me was SIDS - movement sensing baby alarm kept me sane.

I agree that there is a lot of pressure on you to 'do the right thing'. I still think as long as you feed, clothe, put a roof over you kids head and don't hit/abuse them everything else is gravy.

I'm not sleeping with my kid in my bed on most days, but if someone else are, it is their issue.

29. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

my godson's t ball league is scoreless until a certain age. he's in first grade, not sure when the scoring starts. there are trophies anyway.

30. Prancer

It's usually right around third grade.

I know someone who may--MAY--have worn an A cup when she was breastfeeding. She didn't have any trouble feeding her child at all. She's got a chest like an ironing board normally; it didn't look much different.

But by the time kids are three or four, it's more of a comfort and bonding thing and doesn't require a lot of milk, or so I hear. Not my thing, but it doesn't freak me out that people do it. I don't see any reason to care one way or another.