Time hasn't slowed down figure skating's Mr. Nicks

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

A pre-Worlds Orange County Register article about Coach John Nicks, who turns 83 this month: http://www.ocregister.com/sports/nicks-346526-skating-olympic.html
    (Note: Nicks is no longer Courtney Hicks' primary coach -- see this thread (starting with post #25) for today's official announcement.)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  2. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

He has been a "treasure" for US skaters/skating.
    More power to him!

bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Sylvia

The Professional Skaters Association's EDI Award for 2012 Coach of the Year was awarded to John Nicks last night - article: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120525&content_id=32206844&vkey=ice_news

4. skatesindreams

A most deserved honor!

5. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Definitely a well-deserved honor for one of the legends of our sport. :40beers:

6. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

He brought her to the top, she had the goods, but she needed someone to bring it out.

7. query5

query5 New Member

congratulations to Mr. Nicks on winning the Coach of the year award. well deserved honor

8. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

Very well deserved.

It would be nice to see him work with Patrick Chan. I mean who else is worthy?

9. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Bravo, Mr. Nicks! Well deserved! :respec:

And I don't care what Ashley says, I love his hair. :lol:

10. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Way to go, Mr. Nicks! Well deserved! :encore:

11. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Wonderful and deserved honor, which is mentioned to be John Nicks' second (but what year did he win it the first time?) Great accomplishment and very inspiring the work he and Ashley achieved together. What a great sense of humor, and what an elegant gentleman! BTW, Nicks was interviewed by manleywoman on episode #15 of her skatecast.

I really don't see Nicks taking on anymore top level skaters at this point. His work with Ashley has been serendipity and it was she who sought him out and promised to do everything he said.

Besides, Patrick already has more than enough skating insiders in his corner, especially the judges. :p

12. Sylvia

Mr. Nicks last won won the Coach of the Year award in 1991.

Leah Keiser (12th in her senior debut at 2012 US Nationals) recently switched to him.

13. aftershocks

^^ Thanks Sylvia (that must have been for his work in pairs?)

Nicks is amazing, but again I thought he was paring back a bit with taking on a lot of skaters, especially top level ones where lots of travel is involved. I don't think it was easy for Ashley to get him as a coach. He was working with Marley/ Brubaker for awhile, and then handed off those coaching duties to Meno and Sand.

14. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

One of the things I liked about Rise is that it really showcased Nicks' deadpan humor and unique style. He's a legend in the sport - congrats on his win!

15. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Congrats to Mr. Nicks! Well deserved honor!

16. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

I will always have great respect for Mr. Nicks for his help with the US FS team after the 1961 tragedy.

17. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

You do make two great points. I think that it was Sasha that brought him out of retirement ( i seem to remember him sayin he was doing a lot of fishing before she called him to prep her for nationals) in 2010. John Nicks does not need any more accolades however i could see him coaching a mens champion. Patrick seems to know his weaknesses and seems willing to do whatever it takes to fix them. John could most likely help. Just a thought. I would imagine that Patrick would give John respect from day one since John most likely could care less about apeasing patrick. The combination i think would be great.

18. aftershocks

I don't see anything wrong with the coaching combination, but conversely I don't think Patrick needs Nicks, he needs the judges to respect the fact that he (Chan) is not perfect every time out. Patrick deserves to be given scores in line with the level of his performances, so that he will have a better measure of his actual accomplishments and areas where he needs to improve. In any case, why would Patrick need to be "appeased"?

19. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I don't think Chan is interested in a coach to whom he had to listen without question. He's been there, done that.

20. aftershocks

Ah, yeah but it might help Patrick to listen to someone with Nicks' experience. Unfortunately, as a result of always winning (per ISU judges' scoring), Chan may feel like "he's been there, done that." In reality, he still has a lot to learn. In comparison to Dai Takahashi's career and accomplishments (particularly on a personal and growth level), Chan has been nowhere* (despite 2 World championships, one of course achieved controversially). His BAD if Chan needs someone to "appease" him.

Tempest in a teapot in any case, as I doubt Nicks has time in his pared-down schedule. Isn't it true that Nicks is working now mostly with younger skaters and with skaters who are trying to make it to the next level? Chan is ironically already at the "next level," but without a compass.

* Or, maybe he's been to quad & SS heaven more often than his mortal ego can bear.

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  21. skatesindreams

Whether all of us like it or not, the judging system as it exists, is about maximizing points in the most efficient way possible.
    As long as Patrick has a team which can help him accomplish that, he'll be fine.

He's proven himself capable thus far!

22. Sylvia

I'm pretty sure Mr. Nicks will not be coaching Patrick Chan. ;)

Back on topic... I believe Mr. Nicks may still be involved in helping out with Marley/Brubaker even though Todd Sand and Jenni Meno are their primary coaches now.

Leah Keiser still has Christa Fassi listed as her secondary coach in her profile, so I assume she could travel with Keiser if she receives a JGP assignment, for example, and Mr. Nicks is not available.

ETA this excerpt from the April 12, 2012 IceNetwork article about Courtney Hicks switching to Ken Congemi as her primary coach:

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  23. aftershocks

Most certainly. Patrick will be just fine, no matter how the cookie crumbles. And he definitely has no need to worry about maximizing points -- for that he needs no compass. It's been proven by the judges' scoring time and time again. When it comes to improving his artistry and musical interpretation, well, it certainly helps Chan to have Kathy Johnson and Jeff Buttle on his team.

I agree with you Sylvia that Nicks is not on Chan's radar as far as a coach, nor do I feel that Chan is in Nicks sights either. :) Obviously, just a fanciful notion brought forward way OT.

24. Dilng

Dilng Well-Known Member

He reminds me of my Grandfather, who was from West Bridgeford Nottingham, England. His sense of humor is the same. :)I really like him and he always seems to work so well with his students. Congratulations he definitely deserves the win!:)

25. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Thanks for the shoutout! :) Here's a link to the interview. He's a very interesting guy.

26. Steve

Steve New Member

Congrats!! to a rare and gifted individual.