Tim Samaras:Storm Chaser star and meteorological pioneer killed in a Tornado

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Andrushka, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Andrushka

Andrushka Well-Known Member

Tim Samaras who was on Storm Chasers and who was one of the best scientifically minded storm chasers I know of,was killed in the El Reno tornado Friday with his son Paul and his chase partner Carl Young.That's the same tornado that caught Mike Bettes off guard.It was a really unstable,unpredictable tornado,so I do not at all blame Tim for his shocking death.He was known for his caution. He'll be missed.
    http://www.weather.com/video/tim-samaras-tornado-pioneer-37106

Storm Chaser communities tribute to them
    https://twitter.com/TWCMikeBettes/status/341273967383941121/photo/1

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  2. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

I saw a picture of their vehicle...it was just totally ripped apart. :(

3. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Didn't he go to the Mythbusters to check out one of his new tank storm chasing vehicle to make sure it was good to take into this kind of weather? I know one of the Storm Chasers did that, but could have sworn it was him.

Regardless, what happened on Friday took so many off guard and seeing just how jammed the roads were and...

Such a loss to the Community, but even more to their Families and Friends. They were out there hoping to learn how to keep this very thing from happening to someone else. What a crying damn shame. :(

4. shan

shan Well-Known Member

How very sad. :(

5. Andrushka

That was Reed Timmer,they tested the Dominator,the original one I think.They did a redo on some things over the Winter to prepare for the storm season.Reed was on the same tornado as Tim and Mike Bettes but he filmed it from afar.(I've been a Skywarn spotter for 14 yrs.I follow all these guys on twitter and some of them me) Mike Bettes vehicle was destroyed but I hadn't seen Tim's vehicle yet,not sure i want to.He drove a big truck.

6. dardar1126

That's why I didn't post a link; I figured people could find it on the Internet if they wanted to see it.

7. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

And thank you for that Dardar. I don't want to see it either and as you said, those that wish to, can find easily through Google.

Also thanks for all that info Andruska.

8. Andrushka

I just read an article a chaser posted a bit ago.Tim was found in his car,still buckled up,his son and Carl weren't.I also read that the tornado suddenly changed directions causing this tragedy. Samaras was known for being very,very safe,so we all figured something such as that must have happened. They are currently searching for his camera in that area.

9. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

10. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

I couldn't believe it when I saw the news on my weather channel app this afternoon. This is so sad. My heart goes out to the friends and loved ones of Mr. Tim Samaras, his son Paul, and Mr. Carl Young. To me, tornado chasers, not the tourists/thrill seeker kind, but the ones who are out there trying to gather scientific data, and learn more from these storms in order to develop better warning systems are true heroes and that is how Tim, Paul, and Carl died. RIP. :(

I've always been both terrified and fascinated by these storms. I've never seen one in person (and hope I never do) but since I was a child I've occasionally had tornado nightmares. Still do every now and then. I think it's from watching "The Wizard of Oz" when I was around 5 or 6 on one of the film's tv runs. I loved the movie "Twister" and I believe that's when I first heard about tornado chasers. I didn't know such an occupation (professional and amateur) existed but to this day I enjoy watching (and learning) from the tornado chasers on the Weather Channel and Discovery.

Agreed. My mom, brother, and sister-in-law once saw a very small tornado on the road, heading their way, while they were driving through North Carolina on their way to their homes in Philadelphia. I asked my mom about it again today. She said there were no other cars on the road. Just them and this small tornado. From her description, it was an F0 or EF0, no wider than two telephone poles but it was still a scary site as it was heading straight for them, and could have flipped their car or at least pushed it aside had it hit them head on. She said my brother drove far to the side of the road to try to avoid it. My mom said that all they could do was pray. It was coming way faster than their car could drive. At the last moment, before it got to them, it veered off into the woods opposite them. My mom said that, as scary as that incident was, she couldn't even begin to wrap her mind around a tornado far more powerful like the Midwest gets, such as an F3 or F5.

eta: I just read this heartfelt tribute from Tim's brother Jim:

"It truly is sad that we lost my great brother Tim and his great son, Paul. Our hearts also go out to the Carl Young family as well as they are feeling the same feelings we are today," he wrote.

"Our hearts also go out to the Carl Young family as well, as they are feeling the same feelings we are today," he added. "They all unfortunately passed away but doing what they LOVED. Chasing tornadoes. I look at it that he is in the 'big tornado in the sky...'"
    http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=810813&ocid=ansent11

'I look at it that he is in the 'big tornado in the sky...'

I like that.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  11. KCC

KCC Active Member

Lots of info and descriptions of Tim's work, but Paul is usually only described as Tim's son. Surely Paul had an important job to do and was highly trained, too. Even if Paul was not as famous as his dad, I think he deserves a few more words than most articles are giving him. RIP to all victims of these terrible storms.

12. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

A terrible tragedy and great loss.
    Scientifically based storm-chasers do critical research and put themselves in danger, to keep the rest of us safe.
    Thank you, all.

13. Simone411

Simone411 Just Flip-Flopping Around

I had seen the news on The Weather Channel yesterday. My condolences to Tim and Paul's family and loved ones.

14. Andrushka

His dad gave him credit as a great videographer.In the storm community,Paul is equally mourned,it's just his dad was a hero to those of us in the storm community for his research and inventions and he was just unequaled in his sixth sense about the storms.

15. dardar1126

When I was little, I too had tornado dreams...also because of The Wizard of Oz film; to this day I remember at least two of them! :eek:

16. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I have relatives who are highly amateur storm chasers as in "ooh, tornado warning, let's get in the car and drive there for kicks". I hope the fact that even trained professionals with scientific understanding of storms and more info than the local radio station playing in the car are vulnerable to the worst will deter them. But I doubt it.

17. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

^^^
    ITA!

18. Andrushka

People who do that,have been part of the problem,safety wise, here lately.There have been dozens and dozens of chasers of the "Oh look a tornado warning!" variety clogging up the roads and putting themselves in danger here lately and blocking the scientific and skywarn type chasers/spotters who report to the NWS from being able to report or reach the storms. I can chase but since I've had kids,I choose not to till they are grown up. But alot of the professional chasers have been really complaining a lot lately of the dozens of followers putting themselves in danger when there's a job to be done.

19. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

I think that's, in part, due to the publicity they get. Since they aren't professionals sometimes they take bigger risks for that "once in a lifetime" video without understanding the risks and, no matter the disclaimers, media outlets release that amateur footage. They get kicks out that and don't think about the problems they can cause.

20. Andrushka

totally agree

21. dardar1126

22. Andrushka

This has already been brought up on the Oklahoma thread. The tornado that killed Tim Samaras was a historical tornado.It went from approx 1 mile to 2.6 in 30 seconds,it had 296 mph winds and the mini tornadoes around it were traveling at 150 mph It is now the largest tornado on record.It explains a lot about why Tim Samaras was caught off guard.It's also frightening to know that something this freaky can happen. here's some links regarding it.
    http://kfor.com/2013/06/04/update-el-reno-union-city-tornado-widest-tornado-on-record/

The Chasers location overlaid with the tornado's path
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVUHdCGqiSI&feature=youtu.be

Video of the monster tornado
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPYVzhSEgAI

And the guestbook for Tim Samaras,you can light a candle for him.
    http://www.tributes.com/obituary/guestbook/95929900?pane=candle#guestbook_area