Tiger Woods... Thread 2

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Aceon6, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

As suggested, I'm opening a new thread so we can continue to engage in our second favorite sport.

The golf media is now starting to write in depth on the situation. One of the best golf writers, Jaime Diaz, has a very well written analysis up at Golf Digest. It's worth a read if you're interested in the "why" of it all.

Interestingly, Golf.com seems to be ignoring the whole thing.

2. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Someone asked in the previous thread about STDs and whether Tiger's kids really could have been exposed to them. Unfortunately, several STDs, such as chlamydia, gonorrhea, hepatitis B, and syphilis, can be passed to the child in the womb during pregnancy, and can sometimes cause birth defects or other conditions. But some are treatable during pregnancy, if the doctor knows to test for them.

3. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

Interesting link. And if his parents lived in separate homes for most of his life, I think that's a big clue as to where he learned to not value or honor the commitment of marriage.

4. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Pregnant women are routinely tested for most STDs including HIV when the pregnancy is first confirmed. However, in this case an infection could have occurred later in the pregnancy (I really hope this was not the case) while the test is done only once in the beginning.

5. talulabell

talulabell New Member

Interesting article. Quotage:

This has been my question since everything was just rumors! Does he think that email and text messages are wisps of smoke that just disappear after you send them??? I mean, it's not like he chose "classy" discreet women to have flings with. He chose reality stars and cocktail waitresses who wanted to be actresses. Was he looking to be blasted of that pedestal?

6. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Maybe he was. Subconsciously, perhaps.

7. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I think most people who lie expect and on some level want the lie to be discovered. Otherwise they'd do a better job of it. But that's just me.

8. laurenjm

laurenjm New Member

This I did not know, s'plains loads!

9. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

Well, interesting read. However, I have trouble coming up with too much sympathy re the pressure he might have been feeling.
    And, I do not think it takes super human discipline to keep your marriage vows. This isn't some guy who was unhappy in his marriage and sought solace somewhere else...this is a guy who went out and did what he wanted because he could. Because he was Tiger Woods.

I also say shame on all those people who lied to cover up for him. He would probably be a lot better off (as would his children and wife) if he had had to pay the consequences of his actions at each juncture of the road.

10. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

His wife is absolutely, stunningly gorgeous. I guess that adds to :confused: factor. His kids are adorable too, I can't imagine throwing all that away.

11. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Also, contracting STDs such as herpes during pregnancy is more dangerous for the fetus than if the mother had the STD a few months prior to getting pregnant. Something to do with passing on antibodies.

12. laurenjm

laurenjm New Member

Because its not about that, its not about commitment, its not about having 2 children and a beautiful wife its far more insidious and selfish!

13. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Are you talking about her modeling photos or just pictures of her doing her normal routines stuff? She's no Marmaduke but she's no Giselle Bunchen either.

14. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

I don't think it matters what she looks like. He made a promise to her-a vow on his honor and his word-to be faithful as part of the marriage vows. Beauty has nothing to do with one's word or one's honor.

I can understand the pressures of his celebrity, and his living in a bubble for most of his life. Had Tiger simply had an affair of the heart with someone he fell in love with, I could forgive him. It happens. THIS is cringe-worthy. Multiple women, multiple cheap and tawdry affairs. (Wow-I sound Victorian!) Nope. He's lower than gully dirt.

Here's an interesting game: Whos' the lowest morally - Tiger Wood or Michael Vick? Multiple concubines or killing innocent animals? I'll say Tiger is one step up from Vick in the original sin department as he didn't kill anything sentient, but Vick has repented and I'm apt to give him a chance. Tiger has also repented, but it sounded a lot more like the "Oh S*** I got caught" type of sorry.

AxelAnnie and (deleted member) like this.
  15. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Do we know this to be true? While traditional vows include a promise to be faithful, they very well may have written their own vows or gone with something non-traditional that may not have included a promise to be faithful. I think it's pretty clear that he betrayed her trust, but whether there were explicit vows involved we don't know.

I'm not. :mad:

16. laurenjm

laurenjm New Member

Isn't amazing how things do not change through history, gosh, its like reading the history of King Edward VIII in some ways! :lol:

I think I forgiveness for this will come in time from most, of course it depends on how he repents and apologizes, right now it damage control and silence.

Michael Vick too did terrible things to animals but no less excusable and for now he appears to have accepted his punishment, paid his debt according to the law with no complaints and is trying to repent his sin and move on with his life, the outcome remains to be seen.

Tiger has a looooooooooooooong road to go!

17. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I think Tiger's going to have it harder. For some, Vick's conviction and jail time, suspension from the NFL, plus the apology that seems to be heartfelt, put him in the "debt to society paid" category.

Tiger's not going to jail, so I think it will be harder for some to say he's atoned, even if he handles the inevitable divorce well.

18. Holley Calmes

Now one of the tabloids (Star?) is saying his NYC mistress is pregnant. Of course, that could be just hogwash, but it does open a whole can of worms. I mean, the man had UNPROTECTED sex with all these women. What did he think might happen? The tabloid is saying the woman has told friends that if she is pregnant, she's "set for life." Maybe it isn't true. But the possibility for any of these women is out there. Thank goodness for DNA.

Of course, you realize I don't REALLY read those magazines....not really. I look at them some times to admire the red carpet couture....:lol:

19. laurenjm

laurenjm New Member

This reminds me of our mechanic at our company, I guess as the story goes he had a one night stand 14 years ago and through facebook the woman, who he didn't know at all until that night, found him on facebook and sued him after 14 years for child support and WON it, through DNA. She is married and has had 2 other children by 2 husbands besides this kid.

But they couldn't convict OJ! hahahaha!

So if this is true about a child, well watch out Tiger your "nest egg" is going to be substantially liquidated!

20. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

When your net worth is over several billions, what's a couple of mills here and there?

21. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

Yes, because it's much more understandable when men cheat on ugly women. They have a good reason.

Like they say, when you see someone absolutely stunningly gorgeous, you know that someone, somewhere is tired of that person's crap.

Not that any of this is Elin's fault. But really, how long do you think you can look at a person before you don't see them any more? And if you have a guy whose entire emotion toward a woman is based on her looks, how faithful do you think someone that shallow is going to be?

22. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

I was about to quote a slightly different version of that saying...:shuffle:

Prancer and (deleted member) like this.
  23. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

i don't think it matters at all IF I forgive him. What would matter is if Elin forgives him - but that is her decision and hers alone. But then I am not a golf fan.

24. skatemommy

Elin never seemed to have her own agenda. She seemed content being wife and mom and supporting her husband which in my eyes made her even more beautiful. She could have tried to get her family on staff but they also seem very independant. She could of used Tiger's fame and $ to advance her own causes which she did not do. Plus I used to think Tiger is quite hot so it could go both ways...

25. Prancer

Again, it's not her fault Tiger cheated on her. But you're basically saying that you know nothing about her, but from seeing her pictures and video clips, you've leaped to a few conclusions about her.

Hence the reason I didn't use the word "woman" in what I said.

26. skatemommy

If I thought Papa Earl handpicked Elin and arranged the whole thing than I might agree. But Tiger did this all of his own choosing. He chose to mess up Elin's life and his children. So no psycho babble is going to explain why he put them at risk... sorry.

27. Holley Calmes

Let's not leave out the women who chose to date and sleep with a man they knew was married. I'm sure his fame and money (sorry-he does nothing for me in the looks department, but that's just me) "bought" them. They aren't 4exactly innocent either. Do I fault them as much as him? Actually, yes I do.

28. skatemommy

But the peeps that are saying that because I said Elin is beautiful are saying that El Tigre had enough of beauty and went over to scum. Well one of his cocktail waitresses didn't even know who we was at the time. Flame me all you want...

29. Prancer

Agree with what exactly? This?

I said you don't know anything about Elin and have no reason to idealize her. In what way does that mean that Tiger didn't make his choices and has to take responsibility for them?

30. Holley Calmes

I'm not faulting you skatemommy. No verbal Rubik's Cubes from me. Merry Christmas!