Thrill Seekers...

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by nubka, May 7, 2010.

1. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Ok., adventure lovers, if you had to choose one, would you rather:

A. Climb Mount Everest

B. Go down to the Titanic in one of those tiny submarines

I'm terrified of heights, so I guess I'd go to the Titanic (I'd need some mega-valium to get me through it, though!)

My hubby said he would take Mount Everest - :scream: :scream:

2. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

I would totally go down to the Titanic (how tiny are we talkin'?)

Wouldn't do Everest because I'm nowhere near in shape :lol:

3. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I realize I'm statistically FAR more likely to survive the sub, but being claustrophobic and having seen a movie depict an explorer sub imploding, (thank you for that among your many other sucks, 'Raise The Titanic') I'm not sure Everest wouldn't be more tempting. The view would definitely be better.

4. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

Titanic! That would be one of my life's dreams come true.

5. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

6. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Bump! Come on, everybody... :D

7. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

Titanic. Water soothes my fears. That other thread with the video of that crazy hike didn't freak me out too badly because most of the heights were over water, which for some reason I find less frightening.

8. KatieC

KatieC Going in circles

Possibly because if you fall into water you can live - if you fall into the ground, you won't?

I like to breath - which you can't do easily climbing Everest, but have no desire to travel underwater. Is there a flying option?

9. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Good question! Would you be be up for a trip to the Moon? I would never do that - waaaaaaay to chicken!

10. KatieC

KatieC Going in circles

Yeah, that one I would probably do! :D

11. The Village Idiot

The Village Idiot Demon Barber

Assuming I actually had skills and climbing Mt Everest wasn't completely stupid (as it would be for me now, a nonclimber with no experience, etc), I would absolutely climb Mt. Everest. Sitting in a sub, while cool, is just too passive.

12. Gypsy

Gypsy Watching the Leaves Change!

Go down to the Titanic

I am so drawn to the water, it would be a dream come true!

13. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

Going down to the Titanic sounds like a “thrill” but it’s actually a “torture” and an expensive “torture”.

The wreck is 12,620 ft under water. The vessels which can reach the wreck are military submarines or MIR Russian high-tech small sub (for explorations).

US and other western military subs are not for “private rent”. Old Russian military full-size subs are for rent, but they want $250,000 USD + expenses, etc…..

MIR is cheaper, but it is a small “egg-like” structure, where you sit in a small cabin with knees up to your shoulders and can’t stand up once you get in.

It takes min. 30 minutes for departure preps (while you’re already sitting), and 2 hrs. 40 minutes to reach the wreck, if there are no currents or other shifts. Same time on the way up. So you spend 6-7 hours crouched up, and you don’t get to see much of the “wreck” except the “outline far in the distance”. MIR is light compared to submarines, and will not drift close to the wreck in order not to be tangled into the wreck by the current and get stuck. All you see, with full projectors on, is dark carcass of “something”.

Everest is not much better, especially if one smokes or has blood pressure issues. But at least you're not "crouched up", although there are plenty other discomforts.

If people want high altitude thrills - go up Angel Falls on DC-3, or land on top of the Auyantepui Mesa in a helicopter.
    http://www.worldart.com.au/images/angekl-falls-waterfalls-landscape-photography-natu1.jpg
    http://www.romartraveler.com/ROMAR07/Romar07Pages/SouthAmerica/Venez_Pix/LTA-Arekuna.gif

Or Victoria Falls
    http://takeoffafrica.com/upload/557/vic_falls.jpg

If you want to "submerge", go "Underwater Cave Diving" in Mexico, in the under-water cave labyrinth Sistema Nohoch Nah Chich.
    http://gallery.cavedivinggirl.com/Underwater

14. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

15. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

I'm not a thrill-seeker at all, but if forced to make a choice, I think that I would choose Everest over the Titanic. I love the water (and have been scuba diving in the Bahamas), but I wouldn't want to have more than two miles of the stuff over my head -- thinking of the pressure and the darkness and the cold Atlantic going to see the remains of what was the tomb for so many is unnerving. Whereas I understand that freezing to death can be like going to sleep -- and if I didn't die, the view WOULD be ever so much better. But I guess I'd really choose neither. ;)

16. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Yeah, again, the movie "Raise the Titanic" pretty much killed the idea of tourism dives for me. It includes a graphic depiction of a mini-sub imploding. That would be a horrible, horrible way to die.