Thousands of Birds and Fish dead in Arkansas

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Carmen Ovsiannikov, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Carmen Ovsiannikov Well-Known Member

Rex and (deleted member) like this.
  2. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

:eek: This is so strange. Poor birds. :(

3. Sassafras

Sassafras Well-Known Member

That was the first thing I thought:eek:

4. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

5. Auntie

Auntie New Member

Very weird.

I'm still ticked about the crappy Flash Forward ending.

6. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

Why didn't anyone on the ground get hurt from hail?

7. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

WORD!!!!!!!

8. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

They were protected from the birds.

9. Andrushka

Andrushka New Member

That was a severe weather day for Arkansas with 3 deaths in the state from a long track tornado before dawn,then most of the state was under a Tornado watch for the entire day-night.And where there are tornado risks there is usually hail.

10. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I was watching some of the next day coverage and kept laughing when the onsite reporter kept referring to Cincinnati, OH and the studio anchor kept trying to correct her that she was in Cincinnati, AR where the tornado did quite a lot of damage.

11. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

I looked at a map, and the two occurrences were about 50 miles apart it looked like. I was wondering if the birds ate the fish and died. Who knows. Very strange.

12. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

In my newspaper today, on page 2 is a big story about how the world is gonna end on May 21 this year .... and on page 3 is a big story about thousands of birds droppin' dead from the sky and thousands of fishies floatin' dead in the river. Coincidence? he he. :p

13. Andrushka

Andrushka New Member

Yes,I found that quite amusing as well.I think alot of news reports sounded pretty confused the next day lol At one point on the Weather Channel they zoomed in on Ohio and I turned to someone and said "Wasn't that tornado in Arkansas?" and then they went back down to Arkansas.lol

I personally blame the strange deaths on the weather,it could've been lightening or hail that night.I was in Memphis and it was lightening like crazy and the wind was pretty bad.One zap of lightening could've killed all those birds at once,same with the fish. I don't buy into the end of days stuff.

14. skatemommy

The news today said the birds had severe hemorrages and internal trauma and also that there were fireworks being lit. If a severe downdraft can take an airliner out of the sky, it could cause this kind of damage in a flock of birds. No theory on the fish...

15. moojja

moojja Active Member

I read it was only one specie of fish, so it seems unlikely to be hail or fireworks in the lake, then different fishes from different species would be dead. It is strange and disturbing.

16. skatemommy

This is getting weird...500 more birds in Louisiana

"Four days after an estimated 4,000 to 5,000 red-winged blackbirds fell from the sky in Beebe, Ark., about 500 more dead birds were found lying lifeless on a quarter-mile-long stretch of highway in Pointe Coupee Parish in Louisiana.

The birds, red-winged blackbirds and starlings, were discovered on Monday, Baton Rouge's The Advocate reported. Biologists will send some of the birds to labs in Georgia and Wisconsin to conduct necropsies and tests to determine the cause of death."

17. Andrushka

Andrushka New Member

Now,it's weird.There hasn't been any severe weather down that way.hmmm

18. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I thought the end of the world was scheduled for 2012. :confused: I hope I get to go to Nationals first.

19. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

I live in Arkansas near the stretch of river where the fish died. The fish were mostly drum, and I don't think they've determined what killed them. Our statewide newspaper today reported that they think perhaps the birds had been roosting and were frightened by loud noises during the night, maybe New Year's Eve fireworks, and flew very low, crashing into things in the dark. Several loud booms were reported shortly before the birds started falling. Apparently not all the birds that fell died; one man reported that many that landed in his yard were able to fly away later on. The dead ones had trauma consistent with flying into objects. I'll look for a link to the article.

ETA: That particular complete story isn't available without registering, but there are lots of others on most of the news sites.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  20. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

And what about the birds that dropped dead on the highway in Louisiana?

21. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

Technically, May 21 is supposed to be the Rapture, which only means the end for us heathens.

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  22. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

I hope I get to have my wedding first.. I'll be annoyed if I put time and energy into planning it and the world ends before it happens :angryfire :lol:

Oh wait.. the end for us might be May 21st.. which means we've bought all this baby stuff to only be able to use it for a month and a half. Fantastic lol!

23. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston Well-Known Member

When I was in college, hundreds of birds came to roost one January in a small wooded area near one of the on-campus cafeterias. It was freaky, not to mention loud and also gross what with all the bird poop everywhere. Then one day, the birds started dropping dead. In a few days, that whole area of campus was awash in rotting carcass smell. I never heard what caused all of this, but it was a long time ago and apparently the world is still going strong.

If the world ends in May, I will be seriously mad because I really want to get through all of my gold ice dances. Pooh.

24. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

deleted

25. Aussie Willy

Oh poo - I will have only moved into my new unit a couple of months prior. No chance to see the garden grow.

26. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

Well, finally an expert weighs in on the bird and fishkill....:rolleyes:

Expert

27. Aussie Willy

:lol:

Loved how they got the movie promo in at the end.

28. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

They found a few hundred dead birds in my area of Louisiana! :eek:

29. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

They also found a "carpet of dead fish" in New Zealand. Very odd indeed.

30. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I hope this results in Flashforward being brought back.
    :slinkaway