This 17 Year-Old Girl Needs a Helping Hand...

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by nubka, May 26, 2012.

1. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

This made me so sad reading this. Her parents suddenly divorced and left the kids. Now this 17 year-old girl is working two jobs, and trying to make good grades at school. Sometimes she misses school because of her jobs. How awful that she had to spend a night in jail, and be slapped with a fine for truancy. :( :(

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ailed-truancy--Works-jobs-support-family.html

If you scroll down to the comments, someone has listed the address of her workplace, for those that might want to help her with expenses.

2. bek

bek Guest

Her parents are the ones who should be jailed.

3. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Where's Social Services?

4. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

What in the world? The law cited says she needs parental consent to skip school, but both parents have skipped out? Yes they should be jailed. And why has a guardian not been appointed?

5. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

why is the older brother in college still depending on his younger sister for support?

But this girl is clearly working hard, and I'm sure this exposure wil help her get the assistance she needs.

6. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

Sorry, but this sounds like a scam to me. It is the Daily Mail after all.

7. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

8. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Doesn't sound like a scam to me but not everything adds up. The Mail story says her younger sister is living with relatives, CBS Atlanta says Tran is supporting her. Where is Diane living?

9. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

I read/heard somewhere earlier that she's living with one of her bosses from work. I'll try to find the source again and post a link.

And who knows. Perhaps the relatives that took in the sister aren't particularly well off and need Diane to contribute financially to the care of her sister, or maybe Diane just feels obligated to do so.

10. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

One thing that struck me is that it says she is supporting her 2 siblings but then it says her brother is in college & her sister is with relatives. It sounds like she is supporting herself, which would be hard for a kid. But there is no way she is making Texas A&M possible for her brother even if he has a scholarship. The living expenses plus lab fees & books would be way more than a minimum wage person could afford. He must have student loans for that or maybe he's working too.

And what adult relatives would require a 17 yr old to send them money for her sister? I believe she may be sending her sister money for clothes & other needs but I doubt she's supporting her.

Some of the details are iffy like she stays up till 7am studying. Does she sleep from 7am to 8am & then go to school at 8:30? And why would she stay up so late? Dry cleaners close at 7pm here in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

Sometimes when kids get abandoned they don't tell anyone for fear they will be separated. But all 3 kids are living apart anyway so that doesn't make sense. The article doesn't say she's living with her boss, but her relatives apparently know what's going on. What really makes me wonder is why would a British rag be the one to break the story? (Apparently the other newpaper is just copying it.) It just doesn't add up.

11. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

It sounds strange to me that she would go to jail for truancy. Unless things have changed, in most states you are only legally required to attend school up until age 16. I can see the school requiring notes from parents to keep them involved, but if the parents don't want to be involved, what is the point? It is legal for a 17 year old to live on their own (foster children are emancipated at that age).

12. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

I don't believe this is a scam. Texas is a world unto itself, especially with Rick Perry as guvner. Texas is only about the letter of the law, and not the spirit of the law. Perry was just raked over the coals because he refused to consider stopping the execution of an INNOCENT man. DNA cleared him. Barry Scheck of the Innocence Project was heavily involved. Perry was just like "Well, in Texas we have laws and we stick to them. He was found guilty and that's all I need to know". So, no, this is Texas we are talking about. However, I thought once you turn 16 or 17 you can drop out of school. Was it that she continued to stay in school the grounds for truancy? It wasn't like she just skipped to smoke dope and drink with her friends. Maybe she should have worked out a schedule with the school district where she'd get credit for having a FULL time and part time job, I know when I was in HS they did that for those needing to work. Very sad, but Texas is still backasswards. Not surprising in the least.

13. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

Thanks for denigrating my state. Where are you from so I can have equal time? Rick Perry is not representative of the people I know. I agree he is an inbred redneck idiot but not all Texans are like that. And if Texas is so backassward, why do students come here from all over the US to go to medical schools?

This kid may have been abandoned by her parents but the rest of the story sounds fishy. It just doesn't add up.

14. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate Active Member

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...-thrown-jail-missing-school-article-1.1085027

Here is a video. It's not that unusual of a situation - my son has known many 17-18 year olds in high school who have had family leave them. Sometimes they are left with relatives who don't want them so they find other couches to sleep on. We are talking honors kids - good kids - it's the families who have problems.

it is very important for them to declare abandonment - their families won't fill out college financial aid paperwork or supply tax info.

Many kids are in college with my son who sleep in cars or in rooms unnoticed by school security. They get up and shower in the gym. They get money for aid and books but not much else.

15. LuckyCharm

Kind of. In Texas, you can't legally drop out until 18, and if you remain in public school after turning 18, you're still subject to truancy laws until you graduate of officially withdraw. There are some exceptions where at 16 one can withdraw and do a GED or job training program, but that usually requires the consent of a parent/guardian or some other special circumstance. In any case, they have to go through all the paperwork and process. They can't just stop showing up.

16. brina

brina Well-Known Member

Well, that would be because in Texas, grades from more than 10 years old are not factored in to medical school applications.

EDIT: I would like to clarify that I'm sure the medical schools there are good.

17. Alex Forrest

I live in Texas and have for almost 30 years.

Funny you would mention medical schools in Texas. A close friend of mind is an Assistant Professor in OB/GYN at one of those universities. She was asked to speak to high school students in one of the cities with the highest teen pregnancy and gonorrhea/chlamydia rates in the state and probably the country. She prepared a powerpoint on teen pregnancy and STI's and safer sex and birth control. The school was horrified and told her she could only speak about abstinence as the only way to cut down on these matters. My friend said "What in the world? Don't you want to help these young girls? As a physician, it is my responsibility to educate them". No sale. Her lecturing circuit lasted only one appearance. I'm surprised Rick Perry hasn't tried to change the curricula for med students. I think I know of what I am speaking.

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  18. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

I understand that the parents abandoned the kids-- why aren't they in jail for that and for not paying support for their kids?

19. LuckyCharm

I think and even more pertinent question is "Where the hell are they anyway?" None of the articles I've seen mention that, except to say that they "moved away." That's probably the strangest thing of all.

20. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Now ubering Machida's hair

Regardless of her situation - Texas sends kids to JAIL for missing school? WTF?

Like kids who have a lot of trouble in school needs a criminal record on top of it - way to set young people up for failure!

21. Alex Forrest

It is Texas. The letter of the law and not the spirit of the law. I wish she could afford an attorney and have the case moved to SA, Austin, Dallas, or Houston. A jury would dismiss it. What is the purpose of giving an honors student whose parents abandoned her a criminal record, when all she was trying to do was work to keep afloat? It sounds unbelievable, but like I said, Texas is a backassward state. Fortunately the four big cities lean more moderate and usually go blue during elections. The rest is just hicksville and I think the only television channel they get is Faux News.

22. milanessa

I'm pretty sure that she can overcome a criminal record under these circumstances. College? Jobs? Just provide the news reports and they'll probably overlook it. Not to say what happened to her is right and she's probably still having a rough time but the criminal record is probably not a factor in her future.

23. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

Diane lives in Montgomery County which is where Houston is located. And BTW the Dail Mail which is where this story originated is Faux News. There are too many discrepancies in this story to just blindly swallow every detail. Starting with her older brother who is allowing her to be the main breadwinner for him. Yeah, that sounds real plausible for a young man who is bright enough to get into Texas A&M. :rolleyes:

24. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

Plenty of smart people pull scams to get/stay ahead. Maybe he's bright and a bit of a jerk, who knows?

25. Rogue

Rogue Sexy Superhero

And maybe he is bright enough to realize that he will flunk out of A&M if he is working fulltime, but will be able to find a great job and support both of his sisters if he graduates with good grades. In return for his sister helping him get through university now, he'll be able to return the favor and get her through university later.

26. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

Yup. It's not at all uncommon in immigrant families for siblings to be expected to help support other siblings in college. The sibling in college is supposed to focus on studying and getting top grades, so that after graduation, the favor can be returned.

It is unusual, however, for the parents to completely duck out on responsibility.

While the story may first been reported in The Daily Mail, it's also been covered by local news and at least partially confirmed. There probably is more to the story than what is being reported; there usually is. But that doesn't mean the basic facts are wrong.

27. milanessa

Is it an immigrant family? Seems strange that so many details are lacking since this is such a news story. It was covered on CNN this morning but nothing more than was in the original report.

28. Alex Forrest

Well, the story was picked up by the local news KHOU. They even interviewed the judge, who would be anyone's worst nightmare if you showed up in front of him. Basically his feeling is "You did the crime, do the time". He put absolutely no thought behind the case, and even said something like "If she goes free why shouldn't everyone else then?". Well, she's keeping up her grades, is WORKING to stay afloat, and is not just skipping to drink or smoke weed with her friends. Maybe as a JUDGE, he should judge the situation and realize that 'crime' does not always equal punishment. But it's just Texas. Crime equals mandatory punishment. The one good thing is that this story has caught on, she is getting donations, and hopefully this will help her, more than jail time and a criminal record. The judge is exactly what you would expect. He's stupid, uses no logic, and is just a good ole boy. It probably doesn't help Miss Tran that she's a minority, that doesn't go over very well in these parts either.

Also, taf, Houston is in Harris County. Montgomery County is Conroe area which is north of Houston, and very redneck.

ETA: More investigation into this matter. The 'judge' is only a high school graduate. He was simply elected as a justice of the peace in 2003. Apparently that works fine and dandy in Willis Texas. Typical Texas. He was interviewed by local news and he came across as clueless and stupid, which made me look into his education, since he didn't seem to have a grasp of the law or logic. So of course, no law school, no college. Amazing.

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  29. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I have a few questions about the story and it does seem like there is much, much more to the story. I'm not saying that there isn't a bit of truth in the story, but it seems rather outrageous to be completely true

Isn't the age of majority in Texas age 18? And that if she was living at home without adult/parental supervision, the CPS services would become aware of the situation as soon as the story went live. And while she could conceivable be an emancipated minor, being responsible for her sibs is not allowed under the law as I understand it. Disclaimer - I am not a lawyer, nor am I well versed in the laws of majority.

If the parents did leave without any contact or leaving an adult supervising the family, the family would be in foster care as soon as the abandonment was discovered.

If the teen is working 2 jobs just to make ends meet - someone (friends or others) had to know that she was working to pay the bills, etc. I can not imagine that she would be able to hide the fact that her parents have gone AWOL leaving her to cope with the family situation.

Wouldn't her arrest records be sealed at the time that she is 18 and therefore not be disclosed, especially for such a minor infraction? The minor infraction should not affect entrance into colleges or even medical school.

It is feasible that the school was making a point when asking the "judge" to administer the sentence to the highest level. But even at that someone should have done an investigation and make serious attempts to reach parents. At that time they should have discovered the lack of parent presence in this teen's life and deal with that situation prior to the sentence for truancy.

Yes - Texas is known for some of it's harsh punishment and carrying out the laws to the fullest extent, but to say "it happened in Texas, would have never happened in any other state is a bit :rolleyes:" We do not know the whole story here.

30. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston Well-Known Member

Drunks or addicts. Not saying that these people are either, but this sort of thing happened to a friend of mine when she was in high school. Not all adults are mature and responsible and this is not unheard of.