They skated their hearts out

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by eleonorad, Oct 10, 2012.

1. eleonorad

eleonorad Active Member

I'm starting this thread just because yesterday I rewatched the dvds from the Olympics 2010 and I was wondering - which are your favourite performances (in competitions) in which you really felt like the skater was "skating his heart out" on the ice?
    I mean, it may not have been the best performance of the night, or of the skater, but for some reason it was a really important chance for the skater to achieve something - not a medal, more like a personal accomplishment - and he/she/they did it with their hearts.

I've always like this way of saying in english - is it correct, btw?

Anyways, these are mines:

Johnny Weir 2010 Olympic Free Program - I've never been a fan, but that program was the real highlight of his career and I couldn't help feeling excited for him - the music,the mistake on the spin, his final expression, it was like in a movie..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er2-MH2KnH8

Rochette SP & FP 2010 Olympics - no need to explain this..

Kostner 2010 Worlds Free Skate still the most overwhelming moment I've ever experienced since I like figure skating. Nice 2012 was a highlight as well, but it was not the same. That could have been the turning point of her career, she was so close to quitting after her second disappointing olympics (and she would have not given us those fantastic programs she did in the last 2 years) and the arena in Torino was PACKED, just like in 2006..I can hear myself screaming out loud right before the beginning of the step sequence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuS2ZV9x4u0

Hanyu 2012 Worlds Free Skate - I really felt that boy was giving EVERYTHING of himself on the ice. At one point we were all clapping and he was doing his step sequence and I had the feeling he must have felt so little in front of such a supporting crowd, and he also had a stupid fall of a transition, but still delivered a majestic performance.
    http://youtu.be/Q0RBtPX2bLI

These are just a few that I can think of right now..the most recent ones..what do YOU think?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  2. reut

reut Active Member

Well, for me it was definitely this skate:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r60nbaRqPQw

St├ęphane Lambiel's FS at Worlds 2007, after he had motivation problems that season and decided not to go to Euros, after disastrous short what a "come back" it was at free.

3. Zokko!

Zokko! Comansnala?

4. Shyjosie

Shyjosie Active Member

What comes to my mind first is this:
    Denkova/Staviski's FD Adagio, Olympic Games 2006. They had hoped to medal, the mistake they had made in the OD was a minor one compared to the common falling and tumbling, but the judges were merciless and let them drop far behind. Their free skate (last performance of the ice dancing event IIRC) was said to be the best program of that competition. They had given it their all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZXxJDU0iQQ

Here's another one from the same event:
    Fusar-Poli/Margaglio's FD Prince Of Egypt, Olympic Games 2006. They were the most famous victims of the OD's mess the previous day (don't know how many threads have been featuring comments on Barbara's desperate expression). Their free dance seems like an act of reconciliation with each other and their fate. They knew they couldn't win anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dNEZuTsShU

5. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

6. SmallFairy

SmallFairy Well-Known Member

7. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

John Carlow at World Pros in Landover in the early 80's.

He was invited as a relacement (probably because he happened to be in town). He was a one time US pewter medalist competing against Cousins, Tickner, and Cranston so there was little chance of medaling, but this performance got a standing ovation.

http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=/#/watch?v=RlzayLplRdM

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  8. Fure

Fure New Member

9. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Those that come immediately to mind:

Shen Zhao 2003 Worlds fp

Savchenko/ Szolkowy 2007 Europeans (plus they always give it everything they've got)

Davis/ White 2010 Olympics sd and fd; 2011 Worlds fd; 2011-2012 sd and fd practically every performance, especially at GPF, Nationals and Worlds

Rudy Galindo 1996 Nationals sp and fp

Todd Eldredge 1996 Worlds fp

Anissina/ Peizarat practically every time they took the ice

Johnny Weir 2004 U.S. Nats sp and fp; 2004 Worlds sp and fp; 2006 Olympics sp; 2010 Olympics sp and fp; 2004 TEB sp; 2008 Worlds sp; plus exhibitions galore, including Ave Maria, Heartbroken, My Way, Imagine, Fallen Angels Trio with Melissa and Denis, Nature Boy, and Poker Face

Michelle Kwan 1994 Worlds fp; 1995 Worlds fp; 1996 Worlds sp and fp; 1998 Nationals sp and fp; 1998 Olympics fp; 1998 Worlds Pro sp and fp; 2000 and 2001 Worlds fp; 2004 Nationals fp; 2002 Olympics exhibition, plus numerous other performances

Brian Boitano 1988 U.S. Nationals sp; 1988 Olympics fp (the most memorable but there are others)

Midori Ito 1988 Olympics fp; 1989 Worlds fp

Kurt Browning Singin' in the Rain, and Brick House

Paul Wylie Schindler's List, Miss Saigon, Carmina Burana, On the Waterfront

Pang/ Tong 2010 Olympics sp and fp

Certainly many other performances by the likes of Janet Lynn, Toller Cranston, John Curry, Robin Cousins, Gordeeva/ Grinkov, Christopher Bowman, et al.

10. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

11. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

12. lulu

lulu New Member

13. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Patrick Chan, 2011 Nationals LP: You've gotta remember the context. Simply speaking - we didn't know Chan could do THAT. His last clean LP was 2008 Canadian Nationals (probably). He had done a couple with pops and glitches, but most had falls. And this season seemed worse. Two four-fall competitions in a row; while he didn't fall at the GPF (and clearly deserved to win), it wasn't the kind of skater who want to win. And then he does this. Just holy cow. I love listening to the earbud commentary (even if it commits my least favourite sin - saying a program is clean after the final jump, as if falling on spins/footwork is impossible). Just the kind of purely amazing performance that defies belief.

Tanja Szewczenko, 1997 Champion Series Final, LP: Just an out of mind, out of body type skate from her. The sheer catharsis of the ending; the emotional utter letting go aspect just hits me.

14. carriemarie

carriemarie New Member

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  15. aftershocks

^^ Thanks for the memory! :saint:

It was like magic. They were where they had together dreamed so long of being ... on the biggest stage. They had no fear. They most definitely should have been scored much higher. However, the looks on their faces as they hit their final pose was better and more meaningful than any judges' approval.

:cheer:

16. bbkenn

bbkenn Well-Known Member

Virtue and Moir Olympic 2010 SD & FD. They were mesmerizing.

17. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Not the same level, but she skated the best she can, at Worlds, and her joy at the end was so refreshing. I love this program, I love this skater, too bad she was injured after :
    Ivana Reitmayerova 2009 Worlds LP :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOOCY7JJCAk

18. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

skateboy and (deleted member) like this.
  19. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Yuna's FS at 2008 Worlds. You just know how she's pouring all of her heart and energy to the performance. It's even heart-aching when you see her face right after music ends:(

20. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Yes they were!!!!

You posted before I had a chance to do it.......but those are two programs I can never forget.

21. shsocu

shsocu Active Member

22. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

How they didn't end up on the podium that year was a disgrace. But it sure did put them into the league of the top teams going into the next season and they've never let up since.

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  23. shiningstar

shiningstar Active Member

Idk - watching that video actually makes me realize how much they've improved! The performance was phenomenal but I had forgotten how hunched over Meryl would often be, or how poor the flow would sometimes be throughout their step sequences. Perhaps their performance of the program warranted a podium placement, but they have improved exponentially since that season and that is why they are on the podium now.

24. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

25. Piper

Piper Member

26. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

^ Their not being on the World podium in 2009 was a travesty!

Midori Ito - 1988 Olympics free skate - just brilliant - if there hadn't been compulsory figures back then, I don't doubt that she would have been on the podium.

Todd E. @ 2002 Olympics - the free skate to "Lord of the Rings." Sadly, he was out of medal contention after the SP, but his free skate was phenomenal (I don't care about/obsess over quads).

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  27. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NWQmpaw6TU

28. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

Elaine Zayak - 1994 Nationals FS
    Ryan Jahnke - 2003 Worlds QR

29. lulu

lulu New Member

When you consider the fact that Zayak had not skated in eligible competition since 1984, it makes her 4th place finish at nationals even more impressive.

30. aftershocks

ITA Ryan Jahnke, and Todd's final Olympic performance!