Themi and Rena Sochi 2014

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by tplaxl, Sep 7, 2012.

1. tplaxl

tplaxl New Member

and you're being a jerk. :)

2. tplaxl

tplaxl New Member

entitled to an opinion, as are you, but people don't need to get crazy. Hopefully skaters do avoid reading these since people seem hell bent on knocking them all the time.

3. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Actually people are not knocking the skaters down - they are knocking you down for starting what appears to be quite a ridiculous thread.

4. tplaxl

tplaxl New Member

Is that so? I could swear that I see the words "sub par" "ship has sailed " in posts that are not exactly flattering comments. Who the heck are you people to say what someone is or isn't capable of at their ages? Just a question.....

Thank you all for being the authority of deciding when someone is finished! So thoughtful and kind of you.

5. Aussie Willy

Oh and thank you for being such an authority on delusional pair partnerships. You have provided us with so much entertainment.

6. tplaxl

tplaxl New Member

You're very welcome. That's half the fun.

7. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Come on, it's not as if the U.S. does not have some promising young pairs teams, along with new pairings that have the potential to place well. Some of the problems historically have been that it has seemed difficult for U.S. pairs to stay together and grow together for the long haul (e.g., like Tai and Randy were able to do in a different era).

Another problem, IMO, is that U.S. pairs are often rated below other pairs teams internationally when they are actually on a par with or perform better than those other pairs during international events. Case in point: the fantastic way Evora/ Ladwig skated at the 2010 Olympics but still were placed below Canadian pairs who DID NOT perform well. Currently, I do think the top Canadian pairs are a bit better than our U.S. pairs, at least for the moment.

In any case, even when Tai and Randy were competing, they were often rated behind second and third place Russian pairs teams -- and I think Tai and Randy were much better than the lower ranked Russians, which eventually was recognized by the international judges. The U.S. traditionally does not have a long history of excellence in the pairs discipline, however the same was true in ice dance, but fortunately that has changed. I think it can change for U.S. pairs as well, with hard work, greater effort, better coaching and attention to detail, as well as sticking together.

8. tplaxl

tplaxl New Member

I can agree with that to a point. The last time we had 3 teams at Worlds was I think 1997?

9. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

With the combined placings of Ina / Zimmermann and Scott / Dulebohn at Worlds in Nagano in 2002, I believe the US had three pairs competing in Washington DC.

10. tplaxl

tplaxl New Member

You are correct. I looked it up and we had 3 spots at the 2003 World Championships, where we lost the additional spot during after that championship. We had I/B, S/D, and O/L representing us finishing 9, 10, and 16th.

11. apollo13

apollo13 Member

I saw him and Lindsay Davis compete a few years ago at Nationals. Themi fell on the SBS triple loop IIRC.

12. tplaxl

tplaxl New Member

Does that label him as inconsistent? I remember the missed triple loop and I believe there was one missed at Nationals while skating with Naomi? If we're comparing skater to skater, and someone writing that he's a "sub par" I would compare the records of what was landed(without being downgraded) against the other athletes. That is how I would measure it. You could also add in all other competitions to get a better guage, but the comparisons would probably be similiar.

13. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

I believe USFS allows a one-time reinstatement application by an ineligible ("pro") athlete. So if Leftheris really wants to return to competition, he just needs to find a suitable and willing partner for next season and put in the work, like all the other current U.S. pairs are doing.

14. apollo13

apollo13 Member

And Lindsay landed hers IIRC.

15. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Since I was the one who used the term, I would like you to not only defend his skating skills but his record against the men who have won bronze at the last few Worlds and Olympics and you tell me me if he is still not 'sub par'? Tikhonov, Szolkovy, Davidson, Zhao, Tong, Smirnov, and Tran. Do you still think he has a shot at Olympic bronze looking at the past and future skaters? Get serious? I'm all for skaters and their dreams but Olympics bronze with a woman in her 30s who missed 2010 with a great partner, only in a bad made for TV movie.

16. tplaxl

tplaxl New Member

I don't need to defend the comment. Go back and watch every competition that is recorded and available he's in and you can see it for yourself. Tough competitor and comparably as strong as the men you listed. A vast majority of the mistakes in his competitions were made by the other partner. FYI, the bronze medal is won by two people in pairs, not one, right? That would mean that both people had to skate pretty well.
    Did you just say John Baldwin was great partner?! Any idea of how many SBS triple jumps John turned into doubles?

17. tplaxl

tplaxl New Member

Rena's success was greatly held back by John also. That is why I made the suggestion for someone to get these two strong competitors to give it a go. Of course it's far fetched and not likely! Both people probably don't want to compete again, but to say if they were at their best they wouldn't be competitve isn't fair. BOTH, are very strong driven athletes.

18. Aussie Willy

But it is not their dream. It is a strange dream tplaxl has conjured up for goodness knows what reason. Don't even see the point in arguing it or justifying it as it just ain't going to happen.

19. tplaxl

tplaxl New Member

Not a dream, just a hope. A hope for two deserving athletes who never reached their full potential. Is it so wrong to want that for them and suggest it?

20. Aussie Willy

But it is never going to happen!!!

21. flipforsynchro

flipforsynchro New Member

^michal brezina will never get a olympic gold but I still mention hope for it at every opportunity :D there's nothing wrong with hoping and dreaming

22. Aussie Willy

I think that is more likely than what was being proposed here.

23. tplaxl

tplaxl New Member

You really just aren't a very good person are you? Hopefully I never meet you. The negativity that surrounds you is disturbing and toxic.

24. apollo13

apollo13 Member

Yeah always blame the girl... Most if not all of falls in throw jumps are because the guy doesn't know how to throw...

25. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

And the delusion that surrounds you is disturbing as well. Seriously. :rolleyes:

26. tplaxl

tplaxl New Member

Hmm, Where did I say it was based on just the throws? I've seen a lot of competitions where it was the SBS jumps that were missed by partners. I definitely was not referring to just throws if you interpreted it that way.

27. tplaxl

tplaxl New Member

Guess your dating Aussie Willy? :lol:

28. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Guess again, chuckles.

29. flipforsynchro

flipforsynchro New Member

There are plenty of mistakes that girls make that have nothing to do with the guy (and there are also a lot that do have to do with him). And in some cases, it it always the girl. In others, it's always the guy.

30. Aussie Willy

No I just don't take things too seriously. But if you haven't realised by now you are being baited then I am not sure how you get by in life generally.

ITA

Kasey and (deleted member) like this.