Theatre company name - for anti-homophbia play based around Jamie Hubley

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by The Accordion, Dec 6, 2013.

1. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

Hello! I don't know if anyone can help but I thought I would give it a shot since the level of knowledge and creativity at FSU is generally pretty darn high!

A couple years ago I wrote an anti-homophobia play for high schools. It includes interviews with high school students and is based partly on Jamie Hubley - the boy from Ottawa who committed suicide after being mercilessly bullied for being gay in 2011. We have toured the play to schools around Vancouver Island and a bit in Vancouver, as well as for adults and school staffs and we are touring more to Vancouver this year.

This spring we are planning to enter a Drama festival - and that means we need a theatre company name and I seem to be a bit stuck finding the right one. It is a joint project between the Community Justice Centre here and the high school where I teach.

Anyhow -it's kind of a shot in the dark but I thought I would check the FSU brains to see if anyone had any ideas. Some of the elements of the play are

The story follows a girl in high school who ends up doing her leadership project on homophobia after reading about Jamie Hubley. She interviews students about their attitudes and gets involved with GSA and planning an assembly. Along the way she loses a friend and ends up getting called names herself and also meets a new friend who comes out to her. There are also statistics shared throughout the play about BC, Canadian, and North American high school experiences around homophobia - but it isn't quite as dry as it might sound.

Anyhow - any ideas at all would be appreciated.

2. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

A suggestion "Justice for Jamie".
    Another direction - since Jamie's ancestral roots were in Nova Scotia and you're on the BC coast, you might work in something like "Coast to Coast" or "Coastal" or "Maritime"

Good for you for having done this. Good luck!

3. The Accordion

Thanks for the reply victorskid - I hadn't thought about that angle. I actually forgot his Dad's family came from Nova Scotia - though he mentioned it!

ftr I DO know how to spell homophobia - that's embarrassing.

Some of the titles that have come up so far are

a. Flying Squirrel Theatre (Jamie wanted to be remembered as a flying squirrel)
    b. Plastic School Chairs Productions (our set and Jamie's for one of his videos)
    c. Be the Change Productions (too righteous?)
    d. Live the Change Theatre Company (as above?)
    e. Tiny Changes Theatre Company (Some of my students seem to like this one)
    f. CatchmeBlondie Productions (Jamie's Youtube poster name)
    g. Bending beats breaking Productions
    h. Your words Theatre

4. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

Will your group be performing other plays? If so, what type? This may affect what group name you wish to use.

5. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

yes please!

6. The Accordion

Nope - just this one and just for this festival. So it shouldn't really be a big deal but for some reason in my head it seems to be. Thanks for the responses everyone!

7. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

a. Flying Squirrel Theatre (Jamie wanted to be remembered as a flying squirrel) If he wanted to be remembered that way, what better name could there be?
    b. Plastic School Chairs Productions (our set and Jamie's for one of his videos) Cute, but cumbersome.
    c. Be the Change Productions (too righteous?) :yikes: Way too righteous. :scream:
    d. Live the Change Theatre Company (as above?) As above. :fragile:
    e. Tiny Changes Theatre Company (Some of my students seem to like this one) Not bad. :shuffle:
    f. CatchmeBlondie Productions (Jamie's Youtube poster name) It's too much of an inside reference that doesn't stand on its own.
    g. Bending beats breaking Productions It doesn't sound right.
    h. Your words Theatre :huh:

In other words, "a." Definitely "a."

8. The Accordion

Thanks - I appreciate the honest answers to the suggestions!

9. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I vote for Flying Squirrel!

10. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

Based on your possibilities, I too vote for A :)

11. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

Flying Squirrel

12. The Accordion

I am still open to other suggestions!

Thanks everyone! You have confirmed what I thought! :) Thanks tons.

13. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I vote for A too.

14. chantilly

chantilly Active Member

I like Plastic School Chairs. I like it because if this is a company you plan on continuing with it in the same vein as now, i.e touring schools about issues related to bullying then I think this suits the company in perpetuity.

Flying squirrel is cute but it is an homage to one person and one story. But still a nice idea.

I also like the popular Tiny Changes.

I don't think I have any suitable names. I once wanted to start a theatre company here in Vancouver called Friends of Dorothy. It's mandate was plays with a LGTB connection. Either written by, performed by or containing themes of the LGBT community. But it never happened. I am not sure if it works for you though. But I applaud your efforts and goals.

If you ever need help, I have a background in theatre and this sounds like an awesome project.

15. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I suspect that this may become more than a "one shot deal"; so this is my choice, as well.

16. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I like Flying Squirrel because from a marketing point-of-view, it's catchy and memorable. Plus, I don't see a problem with playing homage to one person and one story but then being able to continue touring with company.

17. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I agree, you can pay homage to one person with the title but the title will not be obvious in meaning to most people. Most people will have absolutely no clue who Flying Squirrel was named after. They will just think of it as a neat and very memorable name. Which means that the name will work for now and in the future, even when you have moved on to completely different plays and inspirations.