The2012 Tony Nominations are up. Here is the link.

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by essence_of_soy, May 1, 2012.

1. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

2. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

Newsies sure got a lot of nominations; I guess that's really good for them!

And yay for Hugh Jackman getting a special Tony, lol. Love that guy.

3. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

Once deserves every single one of those 11 nominations. If you can see the show, you should go. It's beautiful!

4. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

Even though she's getting a special award, a little "ouch" for Bernadette Peters being the only one of the 4 leads in Follies to not get nominated. However, having seen the show, while she was lovely, hers was the weakest performance of those 4 leads. So happy for Jan Maxwell, she was amazing.

5. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I agree! Once was amazing.

I'm also excited for Jan Maxwell. She was great in Follies! This is her fifth Tony nomination, I believe, so I hope she can actually take the prize home.

6. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I'm dying to go see this. I've heard nothing but good things.

Newsies was really fun. I enjoyed it a lot so I'm glad to see it got recognition.

7. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

Leap of Faith gets a Best Musical nod, but nothing else. :rofl: I'm hearing folks at the St. James are already running for cover, fearful of Raul Esparza's wrath.

I saw the show in LA and actually enjoyed it. From the description of the changes, it sounds like they actually made it worse when the overhauled it. It's a shame, because there are some good songs, the cast is excellent, and with some actual thought about the changes, the show could have been good. The producers rushed it to Broadway to take advantage of a weak field of musicals this year, but that was a huge mistake.

FYI, I still thought Esparza would get a nod. I'm not a big fan of his normally, but I thought he was great in the LA production.

8. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

She was great, but I'm on team Cristin Milioti.

9. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

He's a douche, and not very talented. It occurred to me that this musical is probably where they got the idea for Heaven Help Us in Smash. Same composers, yes?

10. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I assume Once is based on the movie of the same name? That was one of the worst movies I have ever seen but maybe it translates to the stage a lot better?

11. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Yes it is.
    :lol: I wouldn't count on that for you -- if you hated the movie as much as you seem to have, you likely wouldn't care much for the musical either, although perhaps you wouldn't judge it to be one of the worst you had ever seen. :p On the other hand, since I like the former very much, I think that chances of my liking the stage incarnation are quite high.

12. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

I was surprised it even got a Best Musical nod since the reviews have not been to kind.

I think Esparza is better in regular plays than musicals.

13. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Is Neil Patrick Harris really hosting again, or is that just something they haven't updated since last year? I hope so -- he completely made the show for me last year.

In the nominations, has anyone seen Cynthia Nixon in Wit? I'm having a hard time picturing anyone other than Emma Thompson in the role ... but Nixon has some serious acting talent so I guess I'm not too surprised at the nom.

14. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

No. Marc Shaiman composes the score for Smash. Alan Menken composed Leap of Faith. I saw Leap of Faith in Los Angeles. It was horrible. The same problems that plagued it in LA are the same problems plaguing it in NY. Seems the powers that be didn't listen to any of the constructive criticism so it's hard to feel sorry for them.

15. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Ricky Martin was rooooooooobbed!!!! :drama:

:huh: I didn't even want to see that movie....and ended up loving it!

16. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

I'm glad "Newsies" :)cheer: Jeremy Jordan!) and "Nice Work..." got a lot of noms! :cheer: I'm seeing both in June and can't wait!

Also, great to see Laura Osnes get a Lead Actress nom for the short-lived "Bonnie & Clyde." :cheer2: I didn't see it, but I heard she was sensational, and her songs are amazing, especially this one. :swoon:

17. screech

screech Well-Known Member

Why, oh why do the Tonys have to be on the same night as the season premiere of True Blood?

And yay Newsies! Haven't seen the show, but the original movie was one of my favourites growing up, and I still listen to the songs all the time. Christian Bale!!!

18. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

No. He was HORRIBLE!!!

19. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

Once! :cheer:

The :cheer: is purely based on the film as I've not seen the stage version. ;)

20. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Judging by the clips on YouTube, no.

If anything, the audience is being robbed by having to watch him in that role...

21. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

I think it's safe to say PeterG is being sarcastic again. Hopefully.

22. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

About Ricky Martin or about Once? :shuffle:

23. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Sorry, I hadn't heard anything about his performance in Evita. But I enjoyed him in Glee... :shuffle:

No sarcasm at all! (Is that possible for PeterG???) I'm not even sure how I ended up seeing Once (the movie). It totally took me by surprise because I expected to really not like it. I think I saw it because everybody else kept talking about it and I gave in. Glad I did! :cheer2:

24. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

At first I thought this was the singer Jeremy Jordan who performed a few times on the original Beverly Hills 90210 :eek:

25. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I have yet to see any part of her performance, but given her rep, I'm surprised Elena Roger did not get a nomination.

I knew Bernadette wasn't nominated on Monday, because of the Isabelle Stevenson Award. But still, yay for her! And Jan Maxwell! Sorry Elaine Paige was not nominated.

Jessie Mueller! Nice to see that On A Clear Day got SOMETHING.

Once again, two of the noms for score are musicals and the other two are plays. In theory, this should not disappoint me as much as it does, but it does. I just wish there were more musicals nominated in that category.

Not that I mind, because I like him and all, but what exactly did Hugh Jackman do to get a special Tony? Is it for his show that he did? Why doesn't wikipedia say that?

No Tyne Daly nomination? Or Matthew Broderick?

26. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

ESosa nominated for best costumes. The Project Runway ESosa?

Natasha Katz is nominated twice for lighting. She is an old friend of mine. and she's fantastic!!!!!! Go Natasha!