The worst "jump the shark" moments in TV

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by ilovepaydays, Oct 14, 2012.

1. lulu

lulu New Member

Another one: The Office, after Michael left.

2. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I watched Friends for Phoebe, Joey, and Chandler. The other three bored me more often than they made me laugh, and I absolutely think that Kudrow, Leblanc, and Perry were the most talented cast members.

3. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Yeah, reruns can be informative...apparently in first-runs, I stopped watching "The Cosby Show" before Cousin Pam showed up...eek. Though the show had a long, good run before that.

4. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

Seee I disagree with Joey and Rachel hitching up. That show was going really downhill until that happened and resurrected the show for a few more years. Not saying what happened afterwards was any good. But I really don't see it as a "jump the shark" moment. I mean there is only so many times you can play Rachel and Ross off/on again.

5. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

I don't remember watching them, but I can tell you not to bother with boxed set of "F-Troop," and that as great as Larry Hagman was in "I Dream of Jeannie," three or four episodes is about I could take before I became comatose with boredom.

6. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Friends never really had a big JTS for me because I loved the show, and still watch the reruns every day. But it had one little moment where it almost reached that level for me. And that is when "Erica" let Monica and Chandler adopt her baby. Erica was never believable for me in that she was supposed to be some knocked up teenager who wanted to give her baby a better life ... yet she looked like she was 30 years old! She looked like she should be friends with the Gang yet she was supposed to be some 17-19 year old. She was way to old for that part.

7. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

I think the Erica storyline was quickly thought up to give Monica and Chandler a happy ending as the series wound up it's long run. The closest the series got to a JTS moment for me was when the storyline went to Monica and Chandler's infertility which didn't belong in a show that was always so comical.

8. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

I think I can honestly say that the only show that did not have a JTS moment was MASH. Quality episodes the entire run.

9. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

For me, it was Ross, Pheobe, and Chandler, Ross being the most talented comedy actor ever! His impressions were just amazing, make me laugh everytime, and never get old.

Even though IMO they jumped the shark in the scenes in Barbados(OMG do you remember the scene where Ross caught Rachel and Joey kissing in their apartment and how he reacted? That was genius acting!) where Rachel and Joey hooked up, I still never miss its reruns. That's how much I love this show.

10. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Totally agree and would add the original Law & Order to that list. I loved the whole series and thought it was should not have been cancelled.

11. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I never thought Battlestar Galactica jumped the shark. Quality show from start to finish.

12. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

How about The Waltons when John Boy left? I mean, he was the narrator and lead for heaven's sake. And wasn't Mary Ellen quite the trainwreck. She gets pregnant, then decides to marry a doctor, then he dies in the war, then she decides to go to med school, and the baby was forgotten. And god, we're talking about LHOP and all those kids. I don't believe John or Olivia Walton ever knew exactly how many kids they had. I sure didn't.

13. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I agree with whoever mentioned Ghost Sex on Grey's Anatomy. The linked article about Cordelia Chase was interesting - someone should write an essay about The Assassination of Izzy Stevens, because that character started great and between Ghost Sex and Gizzy, was rendered so awful that I cheered when she got cancer...and then :rolleyes: that she didn't get killed off

14. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I adore M*A*S*H, but it did get awfully preachy in the last season or so. And it was never quite the same after Radar left. Still, I have to agree that it never QUITE made it over that shark. And the series finale was a gem.

15. Alixana

Alixana Definitely NOT a sonogram

Just to clarify, Mary Ellen got married first, then got pregnant, and the baby grows into a toddler and is around for a lot of episodes throughout the rest of the series. (I've spent a lot of time at my parents' lately .. they're big fans so I've had to watch the whole series again). And just to put your mind at ease .. 7 kids ;).

I definitely prefer the Waltons to LHOP. Less preachy imo and no Michael Landon. Although I agree that it was a very different show after JB left.

16. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

This! All my favorite episodes are Ross centric ones. My favorites being the one where he tries to charm Greg Kinnear for that grant, the one where he tried to bribe ugly naked guy for his apartment, the one where he buys a couch for his building without an elevator and the one where Bruce Willis plays his girlfriend's father. :rofl:

17. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Best Ross ep IMO was the one with the leather pants - his hysterics in a date's bathroom still have me :rofl: at the thought. "Now the lotion and baby powder have formed some sort of paste!!" :lol:

18. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

The Waltons used to drive my grandpa berserk. He grew up in a big family during the Depression, and he would complain that they were getting it all wrong. :) (The Waltons were fabulously wealthy compared to his family, for one thing!)

19. Alixana

Alixana Definitely NOT a sonogram

That's tv for you! :D

20. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

Monica and Phoebe were ruined in the latter years of Friends imo. Monica's worst traits (the competitiveness and shrillness) were exaggerated to a ridiculous degree. She was no longer a character, but a collection of quirks. Phoebe just got really mean imo. Her treatment of Chandler went beyond just busting his chops. Rachel wasn't always nice to Chandler, but it never felt malicious like with the later years Phoebe.

Joey was almost headed in that territory too. There were times when his dimness were getting to be a bit much, but I think the writers ended up reigning that in.

21. stanhope

stanhope Active Member

Young and the Restless - I never forgave the writers for making Billy & Mac related so I stopped watching. Then in a few years, they weren't related? What?! Stop playing with my mind!

Friends - agreed, they never had a JTS moment, really. Love every episode. PIVOT is legendary, but my favorite friend, by far, is Chandler. Everything he says kills me.

22. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

I have never rewatched the MASH finale because I'm afraid it will diminish my memory of just how amazing it was.

And in my perspective, Friends jumped the shark 1) when Phoebe stopped singing at the coffeehouse and 2) Rachel got promoted from an assistant to an executive overnight.

23. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

OMG, just thinking about that episode cracks me up, LOL :lol:

I agree that Friends had a few possible JTS moments but I don't think it ever went completely over it. I loved that show pretty much from start to finish and still watch the reruns when I'm home. :)

24. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I still :rofl: when I read a book in which a character is wearing leather pants and this is supposed to be all sexy and masculine. All I can think of is Ross' battle with his pants in the bathroom.

I do think that the quality of that show declined sharply in the final few seasons; the cast was still good, but the material they were given wasn't as strong. I'm not sure there's a single JTS moment, though.

25. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

There was also the Aussie guy - they kept switching up who he really is, not sure where they landed but I'm sure they're not done with him either. But the final straw for me was when they made Jill Katherine's daughter, and then a couple of years later undid that storyline too. They are two of the original characters with the longest storylines, and they basically rewrote history to make that work, then rewrote it again when a new set of writers came in.

26. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Does anyone remember The Nanny?

I think their JTS moment was pretty clear - Fran & Mr. Sheffield hooking up in the second-to-last season (I think that was the time frame)

27. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

To me, it was when "he took back the thing."

28. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Amen, to that; and to the comments about MASH.

29. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

to quote 30 Rock "but it was a tent pole. A TENT POLE."

30. Bunny Hop

Bunny Hop Perpetually learning Dutch Waltz

I actually stopped watching about a season and a half before that, by which time they had changed Brennan's character so much, by exaggerating some of her traits, that she became either a Vulcan, or borderline autistic, in a way which would mean she shouldn't actually be able to function in normal society, let along write best selling novels. It strained my credulity beyond reasonable belief.
    LOL. I never watched this on its first run, but have got really into it on repeats, even though some of the plots are ridiculous. I missed a few episodes a couple of weeks back and never did find out how the police officer who was crippled with a bullet in his back miraculously recovered. One day he was in a wheelchair, and then a few episodes later he was not only walking but snogging his sergeant. Then he inexplicably decided to let someone die and went to prison for manslaughter. And now you tell me I have the police station blowing up to look forward to (reminds me of The Bill - Sun Hill Police Station was blown up about three times over the course of the series, if I remember correctly).
    ^This! I loved the 'Little House' books and thought the TV series was a huge lost opportunity. I always thought the opening should say "Based on names in the books by Laura Ingalls Wilder".
    Maybe not, but I would love to have seen a show based more faithfully on the books, or even Laura's real life.
    I was wondering how long it would be before someone mentioned 'House'! For me, its Jump the Shark moment was when House and Cuddy got together. I would have said it was when the original team left, but there were still some pretty good eps after that, in particular the one where Amber died.

Anyway, I'll throw another Aussie show into the mix - A Country Practice. Never the same after Molly died.

I also mentioned The Bill above. That would also be when they turned it into a soap opera. It stopped being about police work, and everyone started having love triangles. I gave up well before the end.