The worst "jump the shark" moments in TV

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by ilovepaydays, Oct 14, 2012.

1. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I think "Sex and the City" jumped the shark when they made Baryshnikov's character such a train wreck that Big seemed better by comparison.

"Days of Our Lives" jumped the shark with the "Marlena Possessed by the Devil" storyline. It didn't even have the comic relief of the Cassadines threatening to freeze the Earth if the Earth didn't pay a giant ransom or the :glamor: of Elizabeth Taylor as a Cassadine.

2. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I don't even watch the show, but I'm pretty sure the general consensus was that Grey's Anatomy jumped the shark when Izzie started seeing that dead guy (Denny?) all over the place. I remember everyone I knew crabbing about it, and then they all stopped watching the show.

3. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

I loved House until it turned into a show with a soap opera feel after Amber died. Blah.

4. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

I much preferred the Russian to Whiney Berger in Sex and the City. :slinkaway

And Carrie's character was pretty much self-centred from the start of the series. That was the point innit.

I actually preferred the final series to the weird half series they did when SJP got preggers. Although I'm willing to forgive any TV show where a scene begins with "I'm dating a guy with the funkiest tasting
    spunk
    ." :lol:

DaveRocks and (deleted member) like this.
  5. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

House jumped the shark when they ditched the original three fellows IMO.

I'm desperately, desperately, desperately hoping that House Husbands doesn't jump the shark. But I fear it will. The numer of times per episode Justin makes me facepalm and go "Don't do that! It won't help!" is steadily increasing and the introduction of Kane's "clucky" side and Tom's reluctance to go along with that is potentially shark-inducing (especially when not two episodes ago Tom was freaking out about raising his niece and only just come to terms with parenting HER, let alone another baby).

6. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Friends. When Joey and Rachel fell for each other.

7. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I finally gave up on "House" after House told Cuddy that he was so happy with her that he didn't care whether he was a good doctor any more. I didn't mind that they were together or that he was happy -- what I minded was the idea that House could ever stop caring about being a good doctor, no matter what happened. That was the very core of who he was, and to even suggest otherwise meant that the shark was well and truly jumped.

I did come back for the series finale, though, just for old times' sake.

8. Rogue

Rogue Sexy Superhero

Ruining Dr. McDreamy's hand is also a rehash of Dr. Burke's ruined hand in the earlier seasons, when Christina was covering for him until George found out.

9. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

But the Berger plot served to give us the episode where he broke up with her on a Post-It, which I thought was :lol: when she encounters Bergers friends in a bar.

And thinking about it, Sex & the City never really jumped the shark IMO. They had some cringeworthy moments, but all shows do. They never tanked to the point that it continued to decline (the Sex in the City 2 movie notwithstanding). Samantha's reveal of breast cancer in the cab ride to Carrie was one of the more effective and powerful scenes in the entire series, and that came in the final season.

10. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

I think the worse I ever saw was when Mork and Mindy had a baby and it was a 60 or 70 year old Johnathon Winters.
    Of course the show was cancelled after that season.
    I wonder why.:D

11. duane

duane New Member

To go back some years:

Three Stooges
    Still hilarious after Curly left, but after Shemp left, all of the Curly-knockoffs (especially Curly Joe)--ugh!

Our Gang/Little Rascals
    When the kids got too old, they were replaced. But fortunately, they were replaced with equally talented kids. But when the series moved to MGM, not only did the series change to being preachy, annoying goodness, but annoying kids (Froggy, Micky, Janet to name a few) with little acting talent were added.

Leave It To Beaver
    Duh. Once the Beav got older and his voice changed, the show lost its appeal.

Bewitched
    Dick Sergent was no Dick York.

I Dream of Jeannie
    When Tony and Jeannie got married.

All In The Family
    When Gloria and Mike moved out of the house and had a kid.

Moonlighting
    When the two characters finally got together. But the sexual tension between the Willis/Shepard characters is what made the show.

I agree with the posts that Golden Girls didn't have a shark moment! Hilarious from beginning to end! Same with Gilligan's Island (but it didn't stay on long enough).

12. lulu

lulu New Member

ITA about Leave it to Beaver. When the entire premise of your show is based upon the antics of cute little kid and his interaction with his family & world around him, then you're going to be SOL once said kid is no longer little or cute.

13. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

Shemp didn't leave the act in the 1950's (as opposed to the 1930's, when he got tired of Ted Healy's drunken binges) - he died from IIRC a heart attack.

14. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

For me, it started going downhill in Season 3 when the David Morse character was trying to take House down. I watched Season 4 and part of 5, then stopped.

15. duane

duane New Member

Yes, and Curly had a stoke

16. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Totally agree with everyone about Roseanne. The Lottery was definitely the straw that broke the camel's back for me. The first few after that were meh-to-okay, but I tanked on that show once it got so ridiculous after they won. Then turned in for the finale and was like WTF?!!

I watch the old Roseanne reruns all the time, and those first few seasons up until about the 1994 season are hysterical. Then the show started to turn bitter and lost me little by little as it went on.

17. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Another one: when some eville person made it snow in Port Charles in July on General Hospital in the early 80s. Before that, it was your typical soap, but it tried to venture into James Bond territory and got really weird.

The soap I watched for about 30 years on and off was the Young and the Restless - I could always catch up somehow, and there was a period a few years ago when it was really character focused and quite good IMO. Then they had a series of changes in producers and writers, and kept reversing storylines and overhauling characters until you didn't know them any more.

For me, it wasn't a jump the shark moment as much as a piling up of sharks that I could no longer climb over - too many plastic surgeries to look like other characters, too many invalid or doctored DNA tests, too many people suddenly being related (and then unrelated with the next round of writers), too many characters doing a complete turnaround and becoming different people, too much history and past storylines completely ignored.

18. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

Another trip to long ago TV land, I Love Lucy I think jumped the shark when they moved to the country.

I always preferred Shemp to any Curly. And Moonlighting is the best example I can think of for this topic. I loved that show. Everyone wanted Dave and Maddie to get together, but it killed the show.

I never found anything funny in Gilligan's Island, not even when I was a kid, and have never understood its popularity.

A couple of other shows that never seemed to lose their spark for me were the old Dick Van Dyke Show and later the Mary Tyler Moore Show.

19. Alixana

Alixana who is on vacation!!

Word .. I mean, how many times could you play the "I love you so I'll lock you in my basement till you fall in love with me" card? :rolleyes:

20. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

The Brady Bunch - when cousin Olivier joined the cast.

Charlie Angel - when Shelley Hack joined.

Three's Company - when Jennily Harrison joined.

21. lulu

lulu New Member

Agree about I Love Lucy. Of course, given the state of the Ball-Arnaz marriage at the time, it is perhaps not unexpected that it would have repercussions on the quality of the show.

22. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

Roseanne-- Didn't she win the lottery in the final season? I stopped watching then. The show totally changed.

Friends-- I loved Ross/Rachel, thought they had alot of history and affection. Then she hooked up with JOEY???? Or did she hook up with Chandler? I think it was Joey being I vaguely remember him telling Rachel in his stupid way that he was in love with her. That's when I stopped watching it regularly.

Diff'rent Strokes-- As per typical JTS rules, they brought on a quasi superadorable, totally annoying younger actor. Remember that red headed kid with the bad bowl cut? Goodbye! Also, the show was becoming a freak show. No one is mentioning that little Arnold is now 15 y/o and still 4 feet tall and playing for little boy laughs. They tried to tackle important messages but did it horrendously (80s Acid Rain and Kimberly's hair turns green, Arnold and Kimberly get kidnapped and the show STILL kept the laugh track on even when they are being held captive...wtf? The show lost its way, and when Dana Plato actually did get pregnant, they fired her, instead of incorporating this as another PSA. Such hypocrites)

The Facts of Life-- Well, realistically the girls had to leave Eastland someday. But weren't Tootie and Natalie two years behind Jo and Blair? Yet they still all decided to live together when Jo and Blair graduated? And 'Edna's Edibles'? Yep, that was the show's JTS moment. Then the next season we get aunt Cloris Leachman and that annoying Astin kid.

America's Next Top Model-- The show is not producing the next top model, but the bitchery and competition was fun for me to watch. Then enter Tootie Carparts, who ended up winning over Chantal. Tootie (we called her that because her makeover gave her a bowl cut weave that was supposed to be more Louise Brooks, but turned into a bad hair moment from a 1983 Tootie on TFOL.) was regularly given preferential treatment by Tyra, and then it's found out she modeled on Tyra's show previously, attending Tyra's T-Zone camp for young black girls, actually had a national Wendy's commercial which should have disqualified her. Uggh. I sort of watched after that, but Tootie Carparts was the JTS moment on that show. Haha someone agrees with me, because here is a hilarious YT clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9AdELoBNi0

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  23. lulu

lulu New Member

I've only seen clips of the Elizabeth Taylor era GH on youtube, but I much prefer Elizabeth Taylor and the eville Cassadines to the show today. For me, the show jumped the shark after Jason kidnapped baby Michael and General Hospital became the Sonny & Jason hour.

Not only did she win the lottery, she also battled a group of women hating terrorists as well in an episode titled "Roseambo" :p

The show was *so* good in its first few years, I still remember the backyard bbq scene where Bonnie Bramlett belted "You've really got a hold on me" or the hilarious scene where a grieving Jackie has to tell a hard of hearing relative that Jackie's father just passed away: http://youtu.be/ZPFyHMC8xbI
    It is still for me, one of the funniest scenes on t.v. :rofl:

I *think* they also had a laugh track on the episode where Dudley & Arnold are almost sexually assulted by the camera store owner.

24. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I was watching a rerun the other day and wondered why we were supposed to believe that parents (with the exception of Jo's) who pay for a fancy prep school would suddenly think it was great for their daughters to attend a no name tiny college and live behind a deli/bakery where they would work.

25. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Watching re-runs or getting the DVD's for old times' sake is the quickest way to learn that some of your favorite shows from childhood had jumped the shark before they started :wuzrobbed

26. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Oh my gosh, the green hair episode. :rofl: And there was one about cigarettes too, that ended with some guy lighting up yet again because he just couldn't stop. Good times.

27. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

That was Joey that Rachel tried to hook up with. They never actually did. Chandler married Monica.

Friends had its up and down moments, but I'd say its worst season was season 9. That was the whole Joey/Rachel debacle. Weirdly enough, once everyone decided season 10 would be the last, that's when it started getting good again.

28. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

I must be the only one who liked Joey/Rachel.

I loathed Ross/Rachel though. I thought they brought out the absolute worst in each other.

I didn't want them to get together or anything, but I always enjoyed the (few and far between) Ross/Phoebe scenes.

29. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Does this mean I shouldn't go looking for Crusader Rabbit and Rags the Tiger?

30. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

Anyone watch The Finder? I thought that show jumped the shark even before it got on the air. The original cast and situation as shown on Bones was different and better - the British girlfriend was a much better actress and her character seemed quite eccentric and a good fit with his quirks.

Then the show premiered - his quirkiness seemed much turned down, the British girlfriend who provided much of the edginess was gone, and the 2 actresses they added to the cast were nowhere near as good, and their characters nowhere near as interesting.

I think if they had stayed with the original concept the show would have done better.