The worst "jump the shark" moments in TV

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by ilovepaydays, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Rogue

Rogue Sexy Superhero

Married With Children tried it too. It didn't work out, so the next season the kid was never mentioned except for being a face on a milk carton in the first episode.

2. lulu

lulu New Member

:rofl: Seven, right?

3. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

Eureka - time travel was cute, but screwed up the cool Eureka vibe when they returned.
    Warehouse 13 - time travel season now in session. Absurd and confusing.
    Kyle XY - Introducing Jessie as the female (slightly damaged) evil superhuman counterpart and the evil secret organizations. (Zzyzx and Madacorp)
    Heroes - the time-travel season was absurd,* but the war among the gifted killed the show.
    The 4400 - the war between the two gifted camps.
    Alphas - the war between the two gifted camps. (this season)

NBC keeps trying to use the same damn formula - introduce characters with superpowers, let the audience really enjoy their adventures to Do Good, then create a comparable superpowered-group working against them. If you screw up the plotline and get stuck, write in a time-travel arc to jump the shark and reset. Never works, but keeps lazy showrunners employed.

*This, from a huge Quantum Leap fan. Time travel doesn't solve bad writing/planning.

4. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

America's next top model, when Janice Dickinson left the judging panel. She was the best thing about this show :drama:

5. ilovepaydays

ilovepaydays Well-Known Member

WOW! I am so glad people are enjoying this thread! :)

Degrassi: Totally agreeing with people who have said that the Next Generation went downhill when the kids stopped being "normal" and turned into celebrity-wannabes. The show was also good when there were fewer characters. There were a couple of seasons where they had what seemed like TONS of characters. I do think that the Lakehurst kids made things worse.

Buffy: I also think they executed the whole Willow and witchcraft thing terribly.

Some more points about Sex and the City: Wasn't the show's original idea that you can still have a great life in your 30s if you are still single? It felt like at the end of the series, they were trying too hard to wrap things up with all of them being "settled down." Plus, I always felt that Aidan was way out of Carrie's league, especially after she cheated on him with Big. She really could have been better after he took her back.

And I LOVED Kyle XY when the series first started but Jessi was a bit much.

6. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate New Member

Seinfeld - when they write the show about nothing. I continued to watch but that was the turning point.

7. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

Havent' read the whole thread. Jump the shark moments are specific plotlines, not general. ITA about Gilmore Girls. Ironically the way April was dressed with that oversized bike helmet, should could have literally jumped over a shark.

Sex in the City - More specifically, it jumped the shark when she met "The Russian" IMO.

Roseanne: Again, more specifically, when the Connors "won" the lottery (although it was all a dream). That was one of the worst jump the shark moments ever.

8. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

Yup, ITA, although I do love the show (have the entire show on DVD). Also... the whole "Mary/Adam Kendall" scenario had absolutely no connection to the reality of the real Mary Ingalls' life. They also made it seem like Mary only went away to the blind school for a few months. IIRC she attended the school for something like 8 years, and after that she lived at home with family for the rest of her life. However, I *do* get it that this was the way to show (because LHOTP was an "issues" show in so many episodes) that people who are blind can work and live independently.

I remember reading somewhere how Michael Landon defended the show's storylines and the liberties they took by saying that, had they followed the books exactly, the show would not have lasted anywhere nearly as long as it did.

Besides, anyone who does a little research into the real LIW's life would find that she herself took liberties in writing the books. She was only 2-3 years old when they lived in Indian Territory (1869-1870), for example, but in the book Little House on the Prairie she makes it seem like she was 6-7 years old.

There used to be a website called the LHOTP Nit-picker's Guild, which dissected every single episode for errors in continuity, straying from the fact's of LIW's life, etc. etc. I don't think it's online anymore, but it was an interesting read.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  9. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

A couple of others not mentioned:

Charmed - I really think it died when Phoebe went evil for a time with Cole. I actually felt it declined with the death of Prue, but it was interesting for a little while when they found Paige. But then it went off the rails.

ALIAS! This was such an awesome show for the first two seasons. Even the start of Season 3 was interesting when Sydney "lost" 3 years of her memory. But then it slid out of control with it's relentless (and seemingly pointless) obsession with the Rambaldi device. I stayed with it until the end, but couldn't care less about the mythology at that point.

Veronica Mars - again, good overall the first two seasons. But lost something when she went to college.

10. pollyanna

pollyanna Don't blink

Oh gawd yes, this was so not like Cordelia at all. I always figured it was Whedon's revenge on Charisma Carpenter for getting preggers.

But I forgave him as soon as I saw season five's Smile Time episode. Never have I laughed so hard than at the sight of muppet Angel and Spike going at it. :rofl:

And although I didn't really like it much when Buffy was brought back to life, I do agree that Buffy's The Body and Once More with Feeling were two of the best BtVS episodes ever. They nicely complement once another too, with Once More with Feeling full of and The Body completely devoid of music.

11. Karina1974

FYI the real Almanzo was born in 1857, and the real LIW was born in 1867, and they married in 1885. So the age difference was actually correct.

12. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

It's not a "jump the shark" thing exactly, but I HATED how the GG writers engaged in character assassination every time they decided they wanted to rid themselves of a character. Dean started out nice and ended up awful. (Not to mention that he started out smart and then they deliberately, majorly dumbed him down to look bad next to Jess!) Anna started out nice and ended up a raging, er, witch. Chris -- despite some huge weaknesses -- was being really nice and thoughtful to Lorelai, and then suddenly bailed on her when her father was sick. It was the quintessential example of lazy, careless writing, and they did it again and again and again.

13. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

But they had already decided to end the show I think...but yeah, it was pretty much exhausted by then. The show is entertaining in re-runs, but OMG, Carrie was a selfish cow. LOL, I got so angry with her when she bullied Charlotte into lending her the money to put a down payment on her condo. All those years she pissed her money away on Manolo Blahniks and Jimmy Choos...and she laid a serious guilt trip on Charlotte.

14. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I agree with Roseanne JTS after they won the lottery, or at least continuing after it, it should have been the series finale.

I hated what happened to Jackie's personality, Gilligan is great name for her.

Michael Landon should have also been nominated at some point, why he got snubbed is beyond me.

There really wasn't anything they could have done about Laura and Almonzo, there was an age difference. I hated the whole Nancy adoption but I did really like the show.

Nope! Fabulous from start to finish! The Golden Palace spin off OTOH......:slinkaway

She didn't become a mess and went from one of my favorites to one I liked the least.

15. Karina1974

Oh GOD, I can NOT watch that part of the episode where he is doing the vomiting of what looks like milk (IDK, it's some white fluid).:scream::scream::scream: :eek::eek::eek:

16. Karina1974

That was Michael Landon's decision. According to Melissa Gilbert's autobiography, NBC cancelled the show and did not even tell him they were going to cancel it, never talked to him about it before making the decision. So the blowing up the town was his feck-you to the network he had been on since Bonanza premiered in 1959.

17. lulu

lulu New Member

Roseanne tried to remedy the lottery fiasco to some extent by the series finale, by saying that Dan actually did pass away from heart attack and the family did not actually win the lottery; but after Dan's "death" she wrote a book about the family where he cheated on her, because his death felt like a betrayal and as part of the book's plots, she had her family win the lottery. I think if she had left the series finale with that explanation, it would of been fine. It would have also been way to acknowledge that the last few seasons of the show strayed away from the show's roots. Unfortunately, she also added that Becky was really with David, and Darlene was really with Mark. Which made even less sense than the entire Conners win the lottery plot. Oh, yes the mother wasn't a lesbian, but the sister was.

ITA. The Golden Girls was brilliant. I've never seen The Golden Palace though.
    I think Designing Women JTS when Suzanne & Charlene left the show, I never could stand their replacements. Not to mention, Suzanne was the best thing about the show. We wouldn't have Julia's infamous "the lights when out in Georgia" speech without her. :p

18. Twizzler

Twizzler Well-Known Member

Slightly off topic, but are there YouTube clips from Little House when Christopher Bowman was on it? I used to watch that show religiously, but can't remember when he was on or the character he played.

A ??? JTS moment happened on Felicity when Keri Russell cut her hair. The ratings plummeted. It wasn't a writing issue, but the show never recovered after that. Used to love that show.

19. lulu

lulu New Member

Per IMBD, he played "Benjamin" for two episodes. I know Bowman was a child actor before he skated, but I had no idea he was on LHOTP

20. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

IMDB is your friend :) Two eps/two different characters are listed, which should help you track down any video: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0101303/

21. triple_toe

triple_toe Well-Known Member

I actually think the last season of The Golden Girls had some of the best episodes. The murder mystery weekend, the hurricane with Stan's monkey as a Dorothy substitute, when Dorothy dates a fake Beatle, and the whole Leslie Nielson plot line were all fab to name a few.

Easily the best jump the shark moment is this one :rofl::
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jm6B31HKBw

22. lulu

lulu New Member

23. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I'm not sure the show "Roseanne" jumped the shark in any one episode (at least not by Michiruwater's strict definition), but Roseanne herself did when she married Tom Arnold. She changed from a snarky observer of life to someone who wanted to rescue people from their low self-esteem (which was the reason for all bad choices in life). Hence Darlene became dark and depressed, Dan lost his job, Jackie went from being spontaneous to neurotic, Becky hooked up with a loser etc.

In the beginning they were all competent working-class and proud.

I guess this is a long way of saying Roseanne lost her sense of humor when she married Tom.

24. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

Frasier - When Daphne and Niles got married. Although the last season of Frasier was pretty good.

25. Moto Guzzi

Moto Guzzi Well-Known Member

He could have fired the Greenbush twins who played Carrie, hired a replacement who could actually act, made Grace a few years older, and then featured Carrie and Grace in the storylines instead of bringing in all the new kids.

I stopped watching Rosanne the last year or so it was on because Rosanne was mean and bitchy instead of funny.

26. Karina1974

IIRC, he was in the episode where Mary and Adam get married, as one of their blind school students. I don't remember that his character had any speaking lines, but he is listed in the credits at the end of the episode.

I'm just finishing up watching my tapes of that show (taped the re-runs off of WE). Season 3 always makes me :confused: because there is almost no focus on her going to class or anything. That show had some continuity issues too - Ben was supposed to be taking a fifth year for pre-med (because he doesn't decide until the beginning of senior year that he wants to be a doctor!), so why do they show him graduating?? Also, he gets Lauren pregnant around Thanksgiving (the episode after the Thanksgiving one), yet she gives birth at the same time as graduation, which would make her baby about 3 months premature. And the whole time-travel thing at the end was crazy as well...

That said, I really ID'ed with that show when it first ran, because I was in college, and spending time in NYC, both for fieldwork for classes and for social reasons (yeah, a guy :)).

27. Karina1974

There you go. If you read the books, after Mary goes blind, the sisterly relationship is centered a lot more on Laura and Carrie, with Mary sort of in the background with Grace.

The only storyline that really centered on Carrie on the show (other than "Little Girl Lost" with the valient rescue when she fell down a mine shaft) was "The Godsister" with her imaginary friend Alyssa.

One thing I always think is interesting is how the two Melissas (Anderson and Gilbert) never really hit it off, whereas Gilbert and Alison Arngrim (Nellie) were besties by the end of their first day on the set. :D I want to read Arngrim's memoir Confessions of a Prairie Bitch.

28. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

That's what was most striking about Sex and the City to me - the complete caricatures the women turned into by season 5. The first 3 seasons were much more nuanced.

Alias did lose it somewhere in the middle of season 3, but actually got me back in season 4. Although they did take the WAY EASY way out by making Lauren a baddie. Season 5 was kind of ludicrous but everyone knew it was the last one, so I just tolerated it through to see the Sydney/Vaughn relationship tied up. The cliffhanger at the end of season 2, though ... :eek:

From this thread, it sounds like maybe it shouldn't have lasted as long as it did. :shuffle:

29. Karina1974

Yeah, I tend to agree with that. :shuffle: I prefer the earlier seasons by far, when the show centered on the Ingalls family.

Another JTS moment would be bringing in the Carter family for Season 9 (LH: A New Beginning), although when John Carter and Almanzo head out for the Grange convention (IIRC it was supposed to be in San Francisco) and end up staying in a Japanese hotel (amongst other mishaps on their trip)... the culture shock that ensued made for a funny episode.

30. lulu

lulu New Member

I thought these were some of Roseanne's strongest plots. I appreciated how they actually integrated Darlene's depression into the plot for the entire season and not just a one-episode plot twist, where by the next episode Darlene is happy and her depression is completely forgotten about. Contrast this to other shows: Rose Nylund's one episode addiction to painkillers on The Golden Girls, or Jessie Spano's one episode addiction to sleeping pills AKA "I'm so excited, I'm so excited, I'm so....SCARED!" episode on Saved By The Bell. ;)

Sara Gilbert, Laurie Metcalf and John Goodman were by far the strongest actors on the show (I liked Leon as well).

I thought the show started to go downhill after baby Gerry was born, but didn't actually JTS until the lottery season.

Her book is quite good, I would definitely recommend it. She went through some absolutely horrific experiences, including being sexually abused by her own brother. :( She also has a lot of insights into the LHOTP cast. I can't remember much detail, except Melissa Sue Anderson comes across as a bitch, but that might partially be explained by the fact that MSA's mother was a stage mother from hell.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012