The worst "jump the shark" moments in TV

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by ilovepaydays, Oct 14, 2012.

1. ilovepaydays

ilovepaydays Well-Known Member

I hope this turns into a :lol: thread!

What were the worst (or best, depending on how you look at it) "jump the shark" moments in TV? If you haven't heard of the term before, "jump the shark" describes the moment in a television show when it begins a decline in quality that is beyond recovery.

Here of some examples of mine. Feel free to comment and add to these as you wish!

Gilmore Girls: April - I get that they needed something to cause a conflict in Lorelai's and Luke's engagement, but did it have to be with the most annoying girl ever?
    How I Met Your Mother: What exactly is so great about Ted? It's like he is this AWESOME guy and the WHOLE reason why he is not married yet is that the perfect woman hasn't come around. I've thought he was a jerk. At least Barney is honest about who he is.
    Sex and the City: When it became evident how self-absorbed Carrie was.
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer: When they brought Buffy back after she died.
    7th Heaven: Day One - :lol:. I would say when those twins were born.
    Six Feet Under: When Brenda just wouldn't go away.
    The Office: They should have had Jim and Pam get together at the end of the series.
    Roseanne: When the show stopped being about a working class family and started being about how great all the women were and the men were the most incapable people around.

So, what's yours? :D

2. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Jumping the shark is an actual identifyable moment (traced back to the Happy Days episode where the Fonz actually jumped a shark in a vacation episode, for anyone who doesn't know) from which the show never recovered creatively, so it doesn't sound like HIMYM would qualify for your list - you just don't like the main character :lol:

For Roseanne, I'd say it was when they won the lottery.

Moonlighting - when Dave & Maddie got together (many shows end up with their main characters pairing up as their Jump The Shark moment)

3. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

A long-running show jumped the shark whenever Ted McGinley joined the cast :lol:.

4. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

The musical was after that, so I'll forgive them.

Speaking of Whedon shows, even though they had some really good episodes in season 5, Angel jumped the shark when Cordelia left to become a higher power/being/whatever - the beginning of what Jennifer Crusie later called The Assassination of Cordelia Chase.

I'm tempted to say that the original 90210 jumped the shark when they made David Silver cool, but it may have happened earlier than that :D

Lost jumped the shark for me when the Others started getting more screen time in season 3.

5. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I think the term Jump the Shark has "jumped the shark." I find far too many people get way too giddy way too prematurely for an on-going show that they can't wait see "jump the shark."

6. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

For me it was Downton Abbey. I originally enjoyed the series but when when what's his name made a move to get up from his wheelchair after having been paralyzed for life for merely one episode I realized that he and Lady Mary and their tedious relationship were never going to go away. That was it for me.

7. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

Glee: when Rachel and Finn got engaged and/or when Sue Sylvester got pregnant. :blah: Never have I gone from loving a show to not caring a bit so fast.

8. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

The original "Dallas" - the "return" of Bobby Ewing.

9. lulu

lulu New Member

THIS. The show had so many moments of brilliance-John Goodman is a superb actor, but even he couldn't save the show at that point. Also, wtf did they do to Laurie Metcalf's character? Her Jackie started off as a very real person: smart, but suffering from chronic low self-esteem and bad relationships; towards the end her character was reduced to a Gillian caricature. :yikes:

I loved the JTS website, so much snark, but ever since the site was sold to T.V. guide, it's gone way downhill, you may even say that it jumped the shark. :eek:

10. escaflowne9282

escaflowne9282 Well-Known Member

"Is this because I'm a lesbian?"

11. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

Ha ha! That sums up just about any soap when a character is brought back from the dead. Then you know they are out of ideas.

12. lulu

lulu New Member

I absolutely loved Glee for the first couple of seasons. I pretty much stopped watching it now, there wasn't a single moment or story arc that caused me to stop watching, I just got bored with the show.

Here's another one:
    Good Times: When James Evans died

There is also the Bone the Fish website, which is similar to the old JTS site, except not nearly as popular.

13. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Pretty much when Mulder "found" his sister on "The X-Files", and it had nothing to do with aliens or anything. Though it could be just about any time after season 6 or so. I LOVED the first few seasons, it got a bit stretched for plot, and then it just got BAD. (Of course it turns out that's because the writers really DIDN'T have any sort of long-term plotting or planning, WERE making it up as they went, and were clearly running out of ideas.)

14. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

That was SO out of left field, utterly from nowhere and so totally irrelevant!! We burst out laughing at that one. (For the clueless: The original Law & Order; the blonde ADA gets fired by the DA, and that's her question. . . )

15. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

This FTW!!!!! That was laughably bad, and the show was all downhill from that moment. Ironically, in the seasons following that, I couldn't believe how much I actually missed the Rohmbot.

16. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

Mad About You: When they had the baby. That show was always one of my favorites but the baby totally killed the show for me. They probably could have made it work (Friends did a pretty good job with Emma) but it just didn't work out.

17. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I've been watching the reruns on A&E on the weekends and this did throw me for a loop.

For me L&O: Special Victims jumped the shark when Kathy Stabler got pregnant and when Sister Peg got killed. Then when Chris Meloni left, I was DONE!

ITA about Good Times. With John Amos' departure, some of the show's masculine dignity went with it. It became the JJ show. And I can't stand Jimmy Walker. Then Esther "Where's My Neck" Rolle (that was for Southpaw) left the show and they married her character off. Then she changed her mind and came back, and they brought her back, minus the husband with NO explanation as to why the character came back.

18. lulu

lulu New Member

Not to mention, he could actually act, unlike his T.V. son. :shuffle: I always have a soft spot in my heart for Gordy the Weatherman as well. :)

19. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Ha, I remember that episode ran during the 2005 US Nats. We were like "wait, what??? what did she say? was that part of the episode? huh??".

I don't think that was a JTS moment, though, since it was the last scene of a character who was leaving and nothing about the show referenced it again.

20. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

:rofl: I only ever watched L&O in reruns, but when I randomly caught that episode on TNT I definitely lol'd.

I was OB.SESSED with The X-Files, but definitely lost it during season 6. That was the first season not filmed in Vancouver, too. There wasn't one moment for me (maybe when they switched from Fridays to Sundays), but just a slow fade away during season 6 then I didn't watch the rest.

21. duane

duane New Member

IMO Dallas temporarily jumped the ship when Donna Reed took over as Miss Ellie and then they killed Bobby. I think the show got good again when they brought Bobby and Bel Geddes back, but then permanently jumped the shark when Pam left.

22. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

Buffy jumped the shark soon after she went off to college. Willow became completely insufferable, the whole Riley Finn thing sucked, and Xander, who was my favorite, became even more of a loser than ever. Adding Dawn to the mix didn't help, either.

David Silver becoming cool on 90210 was a shark jumping moment, but I can't remember if that was before or after Andrea Zuckerberg had a baby, which is an automatic shark jump.

23. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

Actually, I think that they often make it clear that Ted is kind of a dork and sometimes a jerk. That is the entire point of the episode where the chick he dumped twice on her birthday kicks his ass. And there is the moment when he finds out that his friends use the phrase "pull a ted" for doing something impulsive and incredibly stupid. They all make fun of him for being pretentious like in the episode where they crash the snooty cocktail party and the entire thing with the college girlfriend Karen.

As for jumping the shark, I submit The West Wing:

Season 5 when Leo McGarry has a heart attack in the trees at Camp David and no one can find him for hours. Because, you know, there is no cell service or security at Camp David and it is highly likely that the Secret Service would completely lose the President's Chief of Staff there (or anywhere else when he is accompanying the president).

24. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

Buffy never jumped the shark! Never ever ever ever ever ever!!! :)

25. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

Lost jumped the shark around season 5 with the time travel. I never really got what was going on after that, and when they went to two alternate realities it was :huh:

But I watched it to the finale anyway. :shuffle:

ER JTS when both Clooney and Margulies were gone.

26. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

ok but maybe the shark leapt a little when dawn summers came to be. then they could have easily eliminated her once they sorted out that she was the key, yada yada. BUT THEY LET HER LIVE.

27. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

I would agree that Buffy never jumped the shark but she did wade into shark infested territory at times. I didn't like the Finn stuff -- thought he was too tall for her and it bugged me. I know, I know, but sometimes it's the little things that bug me.

I also didn't enjoy all the banging she did with Spike. Sex with him just few ewwwwww.

I still can't get over Angel leaving. I sooooooooooo wanted those two crazy kids to make it.

Speaking of Angel -- never pictured him with Cordy, still don't like that idea.

Oh, and here's a question for someone/anyone. Why is Buffy still in reruns on the WB but I've never seen Angel in reruns let alone years later. I enjoy/ed both shows. Secretly, I love to see someone mash their intro music together somehow and then see someone skate to it -- preferably a dance couple. A slayer and a vampire with a soul. Hmmm?

28. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

Angel is on TNT in the morning, 5am.

29. walei

walei Well-Known Member

:respec:

30. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

Buffy was still great til the end, but I preferred the simpler times at Sunnydale high, when the library was sort of the heart of the show and Giles was still on. Going off to college changed the dynamic and totally left Xander hanging.

I really wish Druscilla had killed off the whiny Willow so we could be spared the whole witch nonsense, and that Dru had stayed around much longer.

The less said about Dawn the better.