The worlds most and least emotional countries

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by BlueRidge, Nov 29, 2012.

1. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

2. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

I wonder what the other questions were?

3. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Maybe how often they cried? Or lost their tempers -- or even threw things? They would have had to ask about negative emotions, too, otherwise the middle east wouldn't likely have been in the higher end of the emotionality range and they wouldn't have been able to say from the survey that:

4. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

I am glad to have "proof" that Americans are so emotional, because I get tired of us being characterized as fake, shallow phonies. :mad: I think we're a buncha sentimental saps myself.

5. BlueRidge

6. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

Not surprised by those results.

7. skatingfan5

These are the questions that are listed in the article BR linked, but surely these can't be all of them to be able to rate "most/least" emotional countries! :confused:

Did you feel well-rested yesterday?
    Where you treated with respect all day yesterday?
    Did you smile or laugh a lot yesterday?
    Did you learn or do something interesting yesterday?
    Did you experience the following feelings during a lot of the day yesterday?
    How about (enjoyment, physical pain, worry, sadness, stress, anger)?

Not sure that all of the above really are a measure of how "emotional" a person/country is (i.e. feeling well-rested is a good thing, but I'm not sure how that correlates to being emotional or unemotional. Ditto for "learning something interesting" -- I view that as a positive thing, but not necessarily related to how emotional or not I might be).

8. BlueRidge

What questions would you ask if you wanted to determine if people were emotional or unemotional?

9. skatingfan5

I don't think that I would want to determine if people (in general) were emotional or unemotional (as in sampling 1000 people per country to get some sort of average measure of something that I thought corresponded to emotional level). :shuffle: I suppose there is some value/utility in being able to determine if a country is more or less "emotional" but no one ever really deals with an entire country as an aggregate, do they? Individuals are always going to be unique and vary from whatever the national average is.

But that's just my bias -- statistics were never my thing -- in my psychology courses, I always was more interested in individual case studies than reading about experiments with 100s of subjects and 1000s of data points. (I often seemed to find exceptions that made "true/false" questions impossible to answer, too. :lol:)

10. BlueRidge

Well, what would you consider indicators of whether an individual is emotional or unemotional?

11. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

Many years ago--like too many for the research to be valid and I don't even remember the specific sources I used--I wrote my thesis on American cultural responses to the irony of (mostly) Swift and I had quite a bit of research about American sentimentalism--and yes, that was exactly the conclusion, that we are sentimental saps in comparison with most cultures.

But that varies a lot by time period, too.

I kind of laughed at the part about how responses vary in African countries. Country and culture are two completely different things in most of Africa, so it would follow that they would find variance like that. And is anyone surprised that the Middle East is grim? What would we expect it to be? But I wonder what that would be historically?

And what does all this mean?

12. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

That's why they keep airing the Sarah McLachlan ASPCA commercials. They apparently work! :p

13. BlueRidge

:rofl:

PRlady has to leave the room whenever they come on!

14. skatingfan5

I'm not sure, because some people who are not very expressive (i.e., don't laugh or cry easily) aren't necessarily "unemotional" (although some may be). I think a lot probably depends on how one is defining the term "emotional" -- do they really mean expressive? I really haven't answered your question, have I? Sorry about that but maybe I can't.

I either leave the room or turn the channel -- I can't bear to watch those ASPCA commercials.

15. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

So does Badams...

16. BlueRidge

I sit there and roll my eyes at how emotionally manipulative they are.

Not that I'm unemotional or anything...

17. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I started to think, "Canada, really?" and then I read a Facebook rant from a usually sane, chill, analytical Canadian about the NHL strike.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  18. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

They called me emotional!!!! :wuzrobbed :wuzrobbed :wuzrobbed :angryfire

19. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

Who is going to tell the Russian ice dancers they aren't emotional?

20. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Disneyland or Disney World? ;)

kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  21. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Can't "emotional" (also) mean hot-headed, reactive, compulsive, etc.? (Versus serene, content, rational, etc.?)

Me. They are technicians.

22. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

I think we are getting more figure skating courtesy of the hockey strike so that makes me happy. Emotional Canuck that I am... :D

23. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Dammitttt!! Are you saying North Americans are emotional????;)