The wonderful Ashley Wagner

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by martyross, Nov 18, 2012.

1. martyross

martyross New Member

A thread for fans and admirers of this marvelous skater who has blossomed in a real artist! I absolutely can’t wait to see her growing the programs through the season and at the same time can’t stop watching the videos from TEB. May this year be Ashley’s year!

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Re-posting what I posted yesterday in the U.S. Ladies thread...

Jean-Christophe Berlot spoke with Ashley before her free skate at TEB: Bringing the drama: Wagner in a class of her own
    Excerpt:

3. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

I've been meaning to start an Ashley Wagner thread since, like, 2009. I always figured somebody else would get around to it eventually. It seems that Ashley has the laziest fans in the history of skating fandom, or at least on this board. But hey, at least we won't be starting flame wars with the uberfans of her competitors. We're way too apathetic for that. But seriously, I'm so impressed with how she's grown since last season, and with how prepared she looks already this season. It reminds me of Kostner last season and Ando the season before. I think a World medal is in the cards, although I dare not hope for a gold, at least not out loud. Not yet. Can't wait for GPF and Nationals though.

4. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Indeed.
    I was never on Ashley's bandwagon. I thought- "Yet another US lady who doublefoots all her jumps". Sometimes it's nice to be wrong.
    The work she accomplished in two years is amazing. The assurity of her skating now!
    Here she is compared with Kwan. Not sure I see it yet; I see more of Rochette ( not because of music choice, but rather of style)- a very smart, very athletic skater ( they both have gorgeous athletic backs:)) who worked on whatever was lacking to create a complete skater. I admire Ashley a great deal, and am starting to believe she indeed can be on a World podium. She is so consistent these days ( knock on wood!), and so joyfully confident, she is a champion!

5. kapriza

kapriza Member

yes, please! but what I've just thought was: 'and please skating gods let her to have a good Olympics'. I remember that I was heartbroken for her in 2010 when she didn't make a team for OG. but she is one tough cookie with amazing work ethic. 3 years later and just look where she is! she deserves it so much. I admire her determination.
    :respec:

6. lulu

lulu New Member

Her long program is fanstastic. :kickass:

7. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I have been a fan since she first stepped on to the scene. She has always had the talent but my has she really blossomed over the last couple of seasons. She makes me LOVE skating in the same way Kwan did. It is incredible.

8. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I did enjoy her freeskate today. She totally deserved first place.

9. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

She always had the talent but for some reason she never quite got the breaks, had the performance at the right time, or had the right combination of things come together to get noticed. It is nice to see it finally happening for her. I hope she wins Worlds this year.

10. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

I've been a fan since her first senior season-she had so much spunk! Refinement was obviously needed, but you could just tell she had a great competitive fire. And she is transformed today, into the skater I always thought she was capable of being. I hope the season continues to go well for her!

11. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

I always knew Ashley had all the qualities to be a champion although most people on this forum never believed in her. It was always :confused: to me that someone like Rachael Flatt held up US ladies skatings between 2008-2010. Mirai and Ashley to me always had all the qualities needed to be a champions and Ashley finally is realizing that.

12. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

It's lovely to be proven right, isn't it? :D I'm so glad the world is finally seeing what we longtime ubers always knew she had in her!

Also, as the fangirls say, I'm shipping John Nicks with Ashley's skate guards. :lol: They truly are a match made in heaven.

13. cbd1235

cbd1235 Active Member

My favourite skater is Kwan, and I am not afraid to admit that; I have memorized every one of her programs at each individual competition. So yeah you can call me a crazy fan!! Kwan made me love to watch skating, I was (and am) blown away watching her same programs over and over again. I never had that same love for another skater. I always watch all skating events, so I'd seen Ashley before and I admired her attack in her long programs; something I liked about Kwan. While I admired that, I never liked her as a skater as I found her to be sloppy and unrefined, I found she rushed every element and movement, and I found that her technique was what I would call "throw yourself in the air, close your eyes, pull in and hope for the best!". AKA no consistency, something I see as a necessity for a great ladies champion.

I went to Skate Canada International last year and as soon as I saw her long program live, I knew she would be my new favourite skater. Funny how one program changed it all for me. Her long program had the entire arena captivated, something that I would venture to say that none of the other competitors did that day. Akiko came close. Ashley attacked everything, and the refinement and sound jump technique was finally there. Ever since then, I've been what I would consider one of her biggest fans! I'm always watching her skating, over and over again. I actually bought tickets to 2013 Worlds Ladies sp and lp specifically to see her skate again. She captivates me the way Kwan always did, and it's so exciting that I've found someone who I can appreciate just as much. It's not that I'm comparing the two, or saying that they're on the same level or anything. It's just that Ashley takes me to that place where only Kwan could before.

Basically I wish her the best, and I hope she has a long and fantastic career ahead of her. She deserves it, she's a fighter and that's a rare breed in ladies skating.

14. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Ashley has impressed me since I saw her for the first time in '07. To me, she balances athleticism and artistry nicely and I just want to say that it is refreshing to see a US lady w/ attack and ambition.

15. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I have found my uber home.

I've adored Ash ever since Nationals 2010 (the first skating comp. I ever watched outside the Olympics!), where her grit and fire (and costumes!) impressed me. Her skating is lovely and she always looks beautiful on the ice! Plus, she seems like a really lovely person. I admire her and I hope she gets the mainstream recognition athletes like the Fierce Five have gotten.

16. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

It's funny that people are comparing her to Kwan. I always thought, and think even more now, that she has/had a similar style to Tara Lipinski.

17. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I don't think she's like either of them, personally. I like all three, but I think all their styles are very different. But it would be lovely if Ashley ended up having Michelle's consistency! :)

18. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Who knows...maybe in 5-10 (or more!) years, we'll be comparing other skaters to Ashley! :)

19. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

With her excellent showing in the current GP competitions, looks like Ashley is going to the golden girl of USA indeed. Olympic gold is certainly within her reach given the current field at this current time. USA may have found someone to take over Kwan's crown. Wishing Ashley many gold medals to come.

20. Primorskaya

Primorskaya Well-Known Member

:kickass::kickass::respec::respec::smokin:

...is what I have to say!

Was in the arena at TEB and had one of the best feelings you can have as an audience, which is knowing after a few seconds that she's going to nail everything and that you can just relax and enjoy the experience.

21. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

I've always admired Ashley's spunk, and am so thrilled for her to be experiencing this level of success. May it all continue for her! :encore:

22. luvsasha2

luvsasha2 Well-Known Member

I'm so glad that Ashley the "almost" girl is experiencing so much sucess! I've loved her skating for a long time, and it's so nice to see her finally break through with the amazing John Nicks by her side.

23. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

(Cross-posting what I've wrote in TEB thread)

Commanding the ice and determination were the exact words reserved for Ashley in TEB. It is such a joy to watch a skater have dramatic changes and improvements but it had been long since we witnessed it happening. Ashley has become a kind of a girl that makes you want to root for. I can't wait to see what she's got to offer even furthermore till Sochi Olympics.

Just happy:swoon:

24. Debrah

Debrah Well-Known Member

Loved, loved Ashley's mature, beautiful, performance at 2012 TEB, it gave me chills (the good kind). I really appreciate this kind of a well rounded, complete and emotional performance, with extremely well done elements within one's own wheelhouse, than the often robotic or chaotic squeaked out 3/3 jumping bean kind, big flashy tricks yes, but done with no soul, a deer caught in the headlights stressed look, or any real linking choreo!

Yes, it's great to push the sport, but sometimes I would like to rewind the clock, just because I'd rather see many clean, elegant and powerfully executed well balanced programs, performed by healthy young ladies, who show us that they love what they do; you know the kind I mean, the one's with loads of + GOE elements that are skated within one's personal capacity to deliver and skated with great confidence, sensitivity to the music, style and much grace! The one's like Ashley's commanding freeskate at TEB are now very rare indeed. They should be celebrated for capturing the best of both artistry and athletic performance. More and more I fear we will see the kind interupted by many splats, performed by hobbled and oft injured, young, wunderkind girls who are now being required to skate well beyond their own developing bodies capacity to endure such stress, or heal afterwards, as well as go to quickly beyond their own skill levels all in the quest for more and more points in order to fulfill the pressing timeline quest for Sochi glory. I can accept it better when it comes to the men, in most cases their discipline has been and usually still is mostly about delivering the big tricks, a fist pump here, or a booty shake there passing for choreo; however it's different for the ladies. The ladies event has always been more about what's beautiful in between, quality of elements and choreo that sets one apart, that is, up till now. The artistry of skating is being lost somehow, and sometimes I find that sad as much as I know skating is a competive sport, what draws me in the most about figure skating is the rare combination of pure artistry with great athletic skill...Just sayin...

martyross and (deleted member) like this.
  25. martyross

martyross New Member

i totally agree with Debrah, wouldn't ladies competitions be much much more enjoyable if everyone skated like Ashley is doing? and note that she is not avoiding to do a difficult content either. She includes flip and lutz, ok a flawed lutz, but still difficult. :) even more difficult, imo, is keeping the mind focused on the music, on the performance. it's like you need two brains, in this sport. she is finding the perfect balance and it's a quality that may be less spectacular than doing a triple lutz-triple toe, but it's immensely more valuable in figure skating. even though she used to be less refined than now, she has always focused on expressing the music in all of her programs and this is what i immensely appreciate in her since, yea, 2008 or something. People says she has less talent than others, but to me it's the opposite, she is so talented in the performance department, much more than the girls who are considered "superior". doing a port-de-bras with ease and grace may come easy to some skaters, but doing it in an expressive way as Ashley did in Black Swan is more difficult and requires the ability to connect the heart to the mind, the mind to the body.

26. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Also, does anyone else notice that no one is talking about two-footing anymore? :D

27. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

She was amazing at TEB - both in the short and long
    Also, her FS dress looks amazing live - but on TV it has a weird greenish tint sometimes

She's super nice - I got a picture with her and she took as much time as she could to give photos and autographs before she and Jeremy got ushered off by their agent or whoever it was. She's also really tiny (although she dwarfs Elizaveta and Julia) and she has such big eyes - she's like a pixie!

28. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  29. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Wagner reminds me of Kwan, Lipinski, and mostly of Jill Trenary. There is a mature, determined, deliberate quality to her programs, with a strong balance between technique and artistry.

The presentation is detailed, and created in such a way that she is able to allow the audience into her programs and still tick off the difficult tricks.

30. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

I get a Trenary vibe from her as well. I'm just happy that the move to Nicks is paying off. Her programs are beautiful, her on ice look is beautiful, and she's finally channeled her insane work ethic into becoming a champion skater. It's nice to see. Good job.