The White Queen TV Show

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Twilight1, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

2. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

In the US, we will have to wait til August but it looks great. The other familiar name is David Oakes, who played Juan Borgia in the Borgias and Jeremy Irons' son Max.

3. Twilight1

I snuck a peak online to watch the first episode. I don't know if Canada picked it up or not but I couldn't wait to see it. lol

4. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

I don't know how long it will manage to stay up, but the first episode is on youtube, and can be watched in the U.S.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54qKVaeYvss

I watched it this evening, and loved it. I don't have Starz, so I was thrilled that the youtube link came across my facebook feed.

I think I'm definitely going to have to read the book.

5. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

Oops, wrong thread.

I was reading this thread because my daughter is watching this show tonight. We are both "fans" of the War of the Roses era. I'm going to have to find a source to watch this.

6. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

Hmmm. Just watched it on Youtube. I'm not a fan of Philippa Gregory, as I have issues with her historical accuracy. I couldn't watch The Tudors for the same reason.

This wasn't bad, however. The events followed more or less as they did in history. Loved the gaggle of Woodville kids. Even the witchcraft part is not that fanciful- Jacquetta was later tried as a witch (and acquitted) historically. The costuming wasn't bad, although as always in these things, there was too much unbound/uncovered hair to be seen. I rather liked the very brief portrayal of Margaret Tudor, although I wasn't crazy about Duchess Cecily.

I will probably watch the next episode, which is more than I could say for The Tudors!

7. kosjenka

kosjenka Well-Known Member

Philippa Gregory's books annoy me, but it seems BBC took this project very seriously and they have this huge 20 million something set in Belgium.
    I like the first episode. Max is pretty good, but Rebecca Ferguson was the one that impressed me the most.

8. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link !!!!

9. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

Max Irons is hot. Rebecca Ferguson is gorgeous.

I've actually enjoyed it, oddly, considering it's Philippa feckin' Gregory. Well-done so far. I can't wait to see George and Richard, and the Neville girls. All the scheming. And more Margaret Beaufort! I really hated all the books and couldn't get through The Kingmaker's Daughter. They were all so dull and repetitive. I found I wanted to slug Elizabeth and Margaret.

10. ChelleC

11. Twilight1

Just watched the 2nd episode and am enjoying the actress portraying Margaret Beaufort. Also enjoying the relationship between the Neville sisters.

My favourite period TV show to date. Great writing and acting. Really impressive. Frain is a rockstar IMHO. He is such a great actor!!

12. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

The videos have been removed; so I'll have to wait to see this.

13. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

anyone have an active link to the second episode?

14. ChelleC

The second episode is also up on YT. I'm posting from my kindle though and have no clue how to post a link. I thought it was good but I liked the first episode better.

15. Twilight1

Check out project tv. They are fab and have a ton of links.

16. ChelleC

Looks like episode two is still available on youtube, at least as of tonight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDYzag_3uk8

Editing to say I liked it much better watching it the second time around.

I do not like Margaret Beaufort at all, nor did I like Isabelle Neville through most of the episode. George, well I'm looking forward to the malmsy wine right now. And as for Richard, I'm really liking him so far too. But I'm also just a bit of a Richardian.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  17. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

18. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Oakes was in 'The Pillars of the Earth' as well. I think he is a heartthrob. My interest in the Borgias plummeted after he was killed off.

19. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

I can't stand the portrayal of Margaret Beaufort, but it is just as Philippa Gregory did in that awful book so there's no surprise there. This series seems very one-sided: YAY York, BAD Lancaster!

20. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

I haven't read Gregory's book- I dislike her writing (and research) and her agendas against certain historical personages. While Margaret is not really likeable here- I do think that they have captured some of the essentials of her character -her ambition, her intelligence and her piety, and her loyalty to her son. She was a schemer historically, but I very much admire her learning and her founding of various schools and colleges.

The actress playing her is far too old of course- she was 13 when she gave birth to Henry- so about 17-18 at the start of the story.

In a thread like this- one should proclaim their loyalties-I'm a Yorkist at heart (as a genealogist, I can't deny their superior claim to the throne), but not a Ricardian (I think that Richard lll was not the monster he was once seen as being (Does anybody believe that any more?), but he did scheme for the throne, and was responsible for his nephews' deaths)

21. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

Yeah, in the novel, she is inspired by Joan of Arc and has visions and all she talks about is being "My Lady the King's Mother" and "I shall sign myself Margaret R: Margaret Regina!" constantly. Oh, and whining. About. Everything. I don't think they have captured a lot of Margaret's wiliness nor her intelligence, mostly overdoing the piety.

I know a lot of people who still believe things like that about Richard. I don't have a side in this one, which is funny, because I usually do in historical arguments. ;) York vs Lancaster, meh, whatever!

22. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

Can any of you recommend a good non-fiction book on this period?

23. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

Charles Ross wrote two excellent biographies, one of Edward IV and one of Richard III (which supports the "traditionalist" view) Paul Murray Kendall wrote a biography of Richard III which is much less traditionalist and another book called "The Yorkist Age" which is about more day-to-day life, rather than that of the nobility. These last two books can be found on archive.org

24. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

Thanks! I'm showing my ignorance of English history (which is why I need some good books), but what is the "traditionalist" view?

25. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

The "traditionalist view" hinges on Richard III usurping the throne and murdering his nephews; this view also downplays any skills and virtues he may have shown during the rest of his life. The view that Richard didn't kill the princes in the tower is referred to as "revisionist", which usually overstates Richard's skill as an administrator and emphasizes the good laws made during his reign.

26. Twilight1

I guess I am a revisionist for King Richard III but I don't believe I overstate his skills as an administrator or the good laws he made. I guess I am not either side per se. I think in those times you had to fight for what you had so if their was a claim to a throne...why not go for it if you had the support to do it.

27. ChelleC

I thought last night's episode was the best so far. Margaret Beaufort should be very thankful that Lord Stafford is her husband though, any another man probably would not have put up with her.

28. Twilight1

They had a amiable marriage didn't they? I think that was what I read in a few places anyway. Who is Richard by the way? I haven't seen a Richard anywhere as a brother to Margaret.

29. ChelleC

According to wikipedia, Margaret Beaufort had a half-brother named John Welles, 1st Viscount Welles. He had an older half brother named Richard, and the timing of Richard's death would be the same as the period covered in Sunday's episode.

Here's the wikipedia article on Margaret's half-brother John http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Welles,_1st_Viscount_Welles Interestingly he ended up married to one of Edward IV and Elizabeth Woodville's daughters.

And there's the one on his half-brother Richard, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_de_Welles,_7th_Baron_Welles

30. Twilight1

ChelleC- Thanks for posting. I appreciate it.

So apparently I did some research into my family history and while my family seemed to go back and forth during the War of the Roses. They did finally go with the House of Lancaster at the end. An ancester was a govenor and treasurer to Prince Arthur (Henry VII). "Vernon Always Flourishes" is the family motto lol..