The Walking Dead Season 2

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Satellitegirl, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Lainerb

Lainerb New Member

Okay, I was thinking they were making Shane's character much more human than he was by this point in the comics, but now I see they are making his character more true to the comic series. Anyway, I now have no doubts about how the season will end.

2. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

It's been picked up for another season. I know he's offed in the comics, but will he be on the show? :watch: He looks a lot like a former student, especially, with his head shaved. I always thought that student could be a serial killer or something. Hmm......

3. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I guess I wasn't watching closely enough. I thought that both men were going to die, and Rick finally decided that we wanted to live more than sacrifice himself. His dark side took over and he decided to sacrifice Otis so that he could be the one that survives. Very dark and very surprising. Wonder if that could happen on anything but a cable show... :eek:

4. Lainerb

Lainerb New Member

Normally I'd consider Shane's death a spoiler, but then just about everyone in the comic series is killed so..:lol:

5. Lainerb

Lainerb New Member

Any thoughts on the last two episodes? I've been waiting for the barn full of zombies since they arrived at the farm. I liked the development of Darrell's character in that he doesn't seem as much of a one dimensional redneck.

6. rfisher

It's been a little slow, but I agree about Daryl's character development. I do wonder if he's going to change his relationship with the other members since his Merle delusions. I did think it was stupid to make him climb the cliff face rather than walk down the creek until he reached an easier place to get back up.

7. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Are the zombies in the barn their family members? Hoping to keep them rounded up until a cure is found? That is the only reason I could think they would want to keep some of them alive.

Sometimes I wonder if Darrel and the woman whose girl is lost will hook up. I know she just lost her abusive husband and her daughter may be dead but he is so good to her and she has probably never had that. They also seem the most alike out of anyone else. There seems to be an age difference but I think her haircut makes her look a lot older than she actually is.

8. rfisher

I've never bought a graphic novel before, but I may have to make an exception and get the Walking Dead books. There's a new one coming out in a couple of weeks.

9. Lainerb

Lainerb New Member

From what I recall of the graphic novel I believe Hershel is such a devout believer that he still views the zombies as part of God's creation. Yes, I think some are family members as well as neighbors.

10. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  11. AliasJohnDoe

12. AliasJohnDoe

13. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

So last episode started with everyone attending a workshop of gun usage and/or going shopping. Sorry Carol, we've looked for your missing daughter for two whole days, we all need some "ME TIME"! :huh: If I was Carol, I'd be going to bed at 8pm, walking up around 4 or 5am and as soon as the sun came up, I'd be out looking for my daughter.

When Shane and Andrea went off on their own for some gunplay/foreplay, I thought, "hmm...wonder how long 'til they're a couple". Much sooner than I figured, as they were doing it in the car after some zombie-killin'. Is it just me who gets all :confused: about people who seem to get all hot and bothered around guns and killin'? Wonder how much longer they'll have that home away from home. Is there a shelf-life for gasoline?

Speaking of Shane and Andrea, why was it the plan to go into the bowels of only one house to look for Sophia? Why not walk down the middle of the street and just yell for her? Or does yelling attract unwanted zombies? And why go so far into a house? Couldn't Sophia hear them from the street?

I'm wondering about the Dale character. I had always thought he was supposed to be the wise elder, but this episode it dawned on me that he's not all that wise, tactful or reliable. He acts like he's the wise elder, but he's kind of a mess. I'm not sure if he's written as a complex character...or is just a poorly written character... :lol:

Also wondering about Rick and Lori. I always thought that they were supposed to be the ideal couple. Then the zombie apocalypse happens, Rick is dead and Lori finds comfort in the arms/bed of Shane. So that's a big issue, but before all of that, I thought they were supposed to be the perfect twosome. But lately, Rick hides the fact that Hershel wants the group gone sooner rather than later, and Lori hides the fact that she is pregnant. Certainly big issues to keep hidden!! Again, not sure if this is showing intricacies in an otherwise good relationship....or just bad writing...

It sounds like I'm only complaining about this show...but I do like it!! :D

Cheylana and (deleted member) like this.
  14. rfisher

I think there are things to come. The next episode is supposed to be :eek: Then the show goes on hiatus until Feb.

15. AliasJohnDoe

16. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

I did not see that ending coming. Damn.

17. hirshey girl

hirshey girl Well-Known Member

My husband just said the same thing. That was just :yikes:. That was tough to watch. :(

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  18. AliasJohnDoe

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  19. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

:wuzrobbed Nor did I!!

20. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

As someone who follows the comic, total shocker!! :eek:
    Sophia is still alive in the comic, and she and the other survivors have been through much, much, more since the migration from Atlanta to Hershel's farm

Along with Shane surviving way past his expiry date, I'm convinced that the TV series and comic are parallel/alternate universes in relation to each other.

21. rfisher

I totally expected this. That being said, apparently this is a big change from the original books. I wonder what else will be changed.

22. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

So Shane finds out through Rick that Lori might be pregnant...

Hershel says he wants the new group to leave, but doesn't specify why...and Rick doesn't think to ask...

Hershel doesn't think to warn anybody that he's going to go zombie collectin'...

Nobody thinks to say, "No Shane, it is not a good idea to murder the loved ones of our hosts!"....

PLEAAAAAAAAAAASE...If I ever get stuck with a group of people after a zombie apocalypse, let me end up with ANY group which has better communication skills than this lot!!! :lol:

23. AliasJohnDoe

My wish is that Shane and Andrea go zombie hunting. They end up getting chased at some point, and Andrea shoots Shane in the leg leaving him for zombie food so she can get away. Better him than her.

24. BigB08822

I knew Sophia was in that barn as soon as we found out Walkers were in there. Good twist but way too obvious at the same time. I hate that we have to wait until February for new episodes. I don't know how the comic turns out but I am ready for them to leave the farm so we can have new story lines.

25. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

In retrospect, I should have known Sophia was in the barn, but when she came out, it was a total surprise.

26. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

They already went zombie hunting. Shooting happened, but a gun was not involved... :shuffle:

Guess I'm naive because I was thinking they would find her. They don't kill children on TV shows, right?

27. BigB08822

That is a good point but after she went missing AND Carl was shot I realized they have no problem hurting kiddies in this show. lol Besides, she simply couldn't be out there for that long by herself. It would have been too unbelievable for me. How did this work out in the comic? Do they just find her turned in the woods? Or was her character made for the show?

28. Lainerb

Lainerb New Member

Yes, it deviates from the comic, but is it really a shocker considering how many characters meet horrible ends in the series? I am glad they are capturing some of the hopeless feel of the comic series, but I am sure they are somewhat confined in regards to content because they do run on basic cable.

Since they weren't afraid to go this direction with Sophie I have to wonder if the twins will somehow be introduced later.

29. Lainerb

Lainerb New Member

There were several children in the comic series along with Carl. I don't recall Sophie ever even getting lost to be honest. If it did happen it wasn't when they found the Hershel farm. It's been about a year or more since I read them though so perhaps I am not recalling this being a part of the story.

The comic book series isn't afraid of killing of children and that's all I will say for now..

30. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

Sophia never got lost in the comic. Sophia actually outlives Carol, her mother and is psychologically traumatized by the event. She's adopted by Glenn and Maggie, and her trauma causes her to think that the two are her real parents. Sophie also has affections toward Carl but it's not returned in kind.
    Given that and all that's transpired since the farm, it was shocking for me that they killed her off this early...but then again Sophia is a relatively unimportant character that's faded into the background and hasn't really played a pivotal role in anything.

Other big differences:
    • Andrea has more backbone in the comic. She's much stronger willed than the hysterical woman they've made her into in the TV series.
    • Maggie is showing much more personality in the TV series than she ever did in the comic.
    • Carol's husband is never really mentioned in the comic. She's also more of a hypersexual bombshell rather than a meek abused wife.
    • Not sure if T-bone is supposed to be a poor man's Tyreese, but if so, the comic version is a muscular badass who is pretty much Rick's right-hand man in combat.
    • Otis was skinny and did not die during an expedition. Another minor plot point is that he was racist.
    • They completely skipped a stop between Atlanta and the farm. It wasn't too important in the grand scheme of things. For that matter, the CDC was never visited and IIRC, never mentioned in the comic.
    • Daryl and Merle are completely new characters.