The Voice semi-finals

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by rfisher, Dec 11, 2012.

1. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

One elimination this week.
    Michael Buble pretending to be a Christmas angel or something.

Adam looking very GQ rather than torn t-shirts

Xtina gets a shout out from the audience

2. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

holy fog machine. i thought he was slipping on some dry ice residue or something but apparently those were his dance moves.

3. my little pony

i absolutely hate the song "the wind beneath my wings." it's not at all catchy and so full of treacle my glucose goes up by 100.

but that's not revun's problem. however, this is not his best. parts sounded strained.

4. rfisher

Trevin did NOT hit those high notes. The judges are being nice.

5. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

That was painful to listen to.

6. my little pony

i swear each wk they take a half inch off his hair, "we're just trimming the split ends nick, not a real haircut." it's so clean and glossy looking now, somewhere betw barry gibb and bert lahr

7. rfisher

Nick has such a smooth voice. Like butter.

8. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

Just watching Trevin. Every week, he sounds more and more like a poor man's Luther Vandross. He's sung this song in at least three different keys.

9. rfisher

I hope Xtina sings Santa Baby since they're singing Christmas songs.

10. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Maybe we could just try to forget Blake sang White Christmas.

11. personwhoishere

personwhoishere Well-Known Member

WHY am I tearing up after that st. Jude commercial with Jennifer Aniston??

12. rfisher

I sincerely hope Cassadddddeeeee and Terry do not sing ballads. What are they trying to do to us?

Well, Cas A D is screeching. Sigh. Xtina is sucking up to Blake for some reason.

Terry is our only hope.

13. my little pony

i dont want anyone singing that ever

14. rfisher

At least she could slink around instead of having fake snow. So far, the show has pretty much sucked tonight. And, now Terry is also going for a ballad. WTF did they decide these songs were good for the semi-finals?

At least he sounds sort of like Paul and is in tune. Terry and Nick for the finals. Send Trevin back to cook some more and Casade to do whatever she does.

15. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

The Crown and Anchor is five blocks from my office :D They will sell you unlimited Irish Car Bombs (shot of 1/2 Baileys and 1/2 Jameson dropped in a glass of Guiness. You have about 45 seconds to drink it before they curdle. Not that I would have ever participated in an Irish Car Bomb blowout or anything :shuffle: ).

That was better than Terry's done in the last couple of weeks, IMO.

16. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

Terry was decent when he sang the song like the original- although it was pure karaoke. But everytime he changed it up it became terrible.

I just don't look at Nick when he sings. I think he was the best of the night.

17. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

That's not much of a compliment tonight. :shuffle:

18. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

That was the first time I've liked Cassaaddee. I think the world is coming to an end. Surprised she didn't go for the dancing around the stage glory note shouting stuff again. But, her hometown is West Palm Beach? I guess her idea of paying dues is country club fees? :lol:

I wanted to like Nick. But they've sent him to the Voice Makeover Room one too many times.

Trevin sucked. That was painful.

Terry was forgettable. That was the longest song ever.

19. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Trevin was horribly, repeatedly off pitch. I wish Amanda or Melanie had made it to semifinals instead.

My theory: the sudden rule change to advance 3 to the finals is a ploy to make it a lot more likely for Casssidddeee to win -- Nick, Terry, Trevin -- whichever two make it, I'd guess that those two will split a bunch of the votes.

I'm guessing Cassiddeee would have won on her own, but this feels like cheating.

20. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

Bert Lahr as the Cowardly Lion, right?

Would I be dating myself if I said only Eartha Kitt should sing that song?

I'm not crazy about You Are So Beautiful but that was great. I liked most of Terry's too although I agree it was too long. I found Trivin painful...really horrible. Wind Beneath My Wings fit the movie beautifully but NO ONE should have ever sung that song again. But if you're going to sing it, hit the notes please. Cassaddee was almost as painful.

21. my little pony

yes, bert lahr was the cowardly lion

the santa baby lyrics creep me out, but i can grandfather eartha kitt in.

i LOLed at blake when he said that cassiddee was the best interpreter of lyrics or whatever he said. that was a bit OTT, even for him.

22. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Okay, I thought Michael Buble was walking kind of funny -- and this note from a reporter at the performance might explain it:"6. Fake snow is slippery. After Team Blake’s performance of “White Christmas,” Cassadee was helped off the stage very slowly by Blake and a production assistant so she wouldn’t slip on the snow before her performance. While it was funny to see, in and of itself, it was even funnier that she was the only member of the team actually helped."
    http://www.celebuzz.com/2012-12-11/the-voice-semi-finals-9-things-you-didnt-see-on-tv/

The really weird note was that Carson regularly sidles over and takes a swig of Blake's drink. Think Blake is doctoring up his Starbucks?

23. rfisher

No doubt. They all needed it because of the song choices last night. All four are much better singers than the performances they put out last night. And for all of them to do slow emotional ballads? Whoever made that decision should be fired.

24. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I think I finally "get" Cassadee. That was well done. They could have chosen an outfit that didn't clash with the song, but that's my only nit pick on her performance. Nick was decent, as was Terry. Trevin just needs to go to performing arts school and learn what NOT to do.

25. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

I had a problem with "inspirational song" = "Stupid Boy".

26. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Trevin was awful. Really off key.

Nick is still my favorite

I liked Caassaaddeeeeee this time.

I liked Terry too.

27. sequins

sequins New Member

Yes I didn't quite understand that either? I actually thought they were all good except Trevin and I hope he goes home tonight. The judges on 'The Voice' are way too nice.

28. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

I'd guess that the judges have some sympathy for going off pitch -- I remember one Maroon 5 video live performance where Adam Levine is WAY off pitch. And, trying to stay as far away from the X Factor nasty squabbling among the coaches, I'd guess.

29. rfisher

All the mentors said they wouldn't do the show if they had to be mean to the contestants. Same as they refused to do the bad auditions AI still shows just to make fun of people.

30. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

"Stupid Boy" is a Keith Urban song. When a guy sings it, it works. He's beating himself up over a bad relationship. A woman tackling it? Sort of comes off as a Kelly Clarkson/Martina McBride empowerment anthem.

But, it's an amazing song when Urban does it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2u2kp2eRU0 It's a small clip of an epic song. (I'm a major Keith Urban fan, so am pretty happy she didn't butcher it).