The Voice, Season 4

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Matryeshka, Mar 26, 2013.

1. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

I didn't like her version of What A Girl Wants at all.

2. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

I'm glad I wasn't the only one, She has an amazing voice, but I wasn't a fan of that.

3. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Adam will totally push her for the win. She should be in the finals. This clip has been out for a couple of weeks. I hate it when the singers I like all pick the same coach because the format means they'll be cut. I haven't read if they will have the steal option again this season.

4. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I don't particularly like What a Girl Wants in any form, but she was definitely the best of the night for me.

5. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

Ambivalent. Best story- in the sense that she has a working background that millions of people would envy. Worst - in that instead of an amazing tour, she was part of one of the tragic stories of the music industry.

I feel a bit like she had her chance though.

6. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

They really stepped up the sob stories last season. It seemed like Cassadee was milking a sob story every week. I'm in the "just say no to sob stories" camp. I do think people vote based on them, but at least contestants can't get past the blind audition just based on a backstory. So, hopefully no Lazaros on The Voice.

7. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Of the lot, I think I liked falsetto guy the best. Not a fan of show closer. - too much concentration on technique and no connection to the song. We'll see how far she gets when the fans start voting. Wonder what twists they'll toss at us this year?

Love Shakira - have since Maria B. skated to "Eyes Like Yours". Laundry Service was in heavy rotation in my house for years and I still pull it out when I want to mangle Spanish singing in the car. Usher can go now.

8. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I stopped watching after week 1 last season because of the sob stories, the mainstream-ization of the contestants/voices, and how the fake-y sniping and Adam/Blake bromance became so forced and formulaic. I was hoping some new judges would shake things up a bit, but Shakira and Usher definitely got the memo about How Judges Must Behave.

The Lindsay Lohan (pre-meltdown) looking country girl was so not turnworthy. Jess started strong but ended weird. Usher was trying to give her away :lol: The doublemint twins ... I can't believe one of them is a therapist :eek: nice harmonies but so so voices.

The only people I liked tonight were the LMFAO guy (and he made the right choice in picking Blake, who does well with non-traditional singers), high harmony guy (but this was NOT the first time the judges have thought a guy contestant was a chick, so stop pretending this is the most mind blowing thing EVARRRR, show) and the Michael Jackson chick.

I don't see how any part of her story could be considered the "worst" after Dying Cancer Mom and Dead Twins :eek:

9. Allskate

Especially since they showed the son putting Dying Cancer Mom to bed. That was so over the top and exploitative. Ick. Preacher's son/alcoholic guy must have thought he had a good sob story until he saw the others.

For some reason I didn't mind the Asian country singer's adoption story as much. Maybe because she didn't seem like she was exploiting it as much. She seemed more mature than fifteen. I actually like her better than the Taylor Swift wannabe, but she wasn't ready.

The Michael Jackson backup singer (who said that she didn't want to exploit his death, while doing a puff piece exploiting his death) was a very good singer, but I didn't like that arrangement and I'm not sure I'm going to like what she does with songs. Adam continues to be a great salesman. What makes him even better is that everyone should know by now that he tells all the contestants that they're the greatest and he's going to help them win and just has to have them. And yet they still buy it.

10. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I didn't mid the sob stories that much. What I will mind is if the producers remind us overand over and over.
    All in all, last night was good. Better than DWTS.

11. halffull

halffull The most wonderful time of the year :)

Well so far there are some pretty decent singers. Looks like I'll keep watching this season :)

12. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Justin Bieber - drink!

13. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

It looks like we have this season's Dez Duron coming up! Usher I will forever hate you for unleashing the untalented hack on the world that is Bieber...

14. rfisher

He's prettier than Dez. I vote yes. And he's from AR. And he had the balls to sing a Maroon 5 song.

15. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

Gotta love Shakira :rofl: He is pretty but he doesn't have the strongest voice.

16. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

usher likes pretty boys

17. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

Oh good lawd... JPL is back! It's the pen salesman from Idol season 3!

ETA - Really Usher? This is cringe worthy!

genevieve and (deleted member) like this.
  18. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Just getting here. I got stuck on Splash (what the heck is that show???) for a minute.

Here in time for the Midas ____??

19. rfisher

Midas Whale. OMG I'm in love. Just for their name alone. Mumford and Sons are hot now and they could do well with exposure.

20. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

Two Idaho boys conversing in perfect Spanish with Shakira was all kinds of awesome.

21. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Starting from the beginning here. :rofl: @ Shakira's 'English to Country' dictionary. Happy that Blake didn't turn around for country chick - too twangy and not real enough for me.

Pretty boys shouldn't sing Maroon 5 unless they have Adam's voice and the vocal gyrations were just too spastic.

Up to Idaho Whale - these eyebrows deserve a spot alone!

22. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

Half of the new music I've added to my playlist fits in the roots/alt/folk style that Midas Whale did really well. I would have picked them.

23. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Not a fan of Oprah winner guy. It seemed all over the place.

kylet3 and (deleted member) like this.
  24. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

So glad they didn't turn, that was just bloody god awful. Pitchy all over the place

25. rfisher

The talent pool is deep this season. But, I don't want Judith Hill, Sarah and Midas Whale all on Adam's team. :wuzrobbed The battle round will be brutal.

26. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed the last girl. :)

27. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Not a fan of the cocky Spanish singer. She's walking a fine line between 'I'm too good for the stage' and 'precocious'.

Adam got the good ones tonight - Sarah has a great voice, now she just needs a stylist. :shuffle: Think she dodged a bullet not going with Blake on the heels of Cassaaddee.

28. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

How is Cassadee doing?

29. Allskate

I like his voice better than Dez's. It's got a nice quality to it. Actually, I prefer his voice to Adam's. I doubt he'll be one of my favorites, but I can see why he got chairs to turn for him.

Midas Whale is a good addition just because they add variety. I can't believe they had someone playing the accordion! I'm not sure Adam was the best team for them. They definitely aren't the best singers, so I think they'll get the cut from him pretty early.

I didn't think the Latina singer was all that great.

I hope they have the steal again because I don't think the best singers are going to be evenly distributed.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  30. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

The guy in Midas Whale didn't actually play the accordian, he just held it. While they were singing I was picturing them heading up a Smothers Brothers-type TV show. Those guys are so funny & their harmony is great. I seldom like duos but I loved them.