The Voice, Season 4

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Matryeshka, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I agree with this. However, I think Danielle is more marketable in the short term because she's cuter and younger and they're portraying her as fresh off the turnip wagon and a star in the making gracing their stage. I think they had her pegged as the winner from the beginning and have been promoting her accordingly. Just like with Blake's winner last year.

ETA: I doubt Cassadee has much of a country career ahead of her though.

2. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

SASHA FTW

3. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i like that shakira darkened her hair. she looks really pretty tonight. i'm voting for her.

4. PRlady

PRlady Who gives a fig?

Fcuking A. Best country song of the night by a black girl from New York. I totally LOVED it!

5. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Blake: "and she took her dress off"

Shakira: "hey, who's her coach?" :lol:

6. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

I doubt Cassadee has much of a career period. The world does not need America's answer to Avril Lavigne. By the time Sony has produced Danielle's first single, some other pretty young thing will have taken her place and she'll be a forgotten footnote in reality show history.

I don't watch American Idol, so I don't know how that show works, but I do know the winner is announced on Tuesday or whatever and by Thursday, every major Top 40 radio station has their first single. Sometimes they become hits, sometimes they don't, but it's there before you get. It's a big failing of The Voice to not have a faster turnaround. I get that The Voice wants to create artists (har) and some of the Voices write their own music, but there's no reason why Sony producers can't start working with the top ten to have their first single ready to drop the second the winner is announced. I can name ten singers from AI and I've only seen 15 minutes of that show in its entire existence, but I'd be hard pressed to name all the winners of The Voice, a show I actually watch.

7. PRlady

PRlady Who gives a fig?

The funny thing is, I own a couple of songs by Cassadee's former group. My daughter shared them with me after she bought them a few years ago. I like them, especially for working out.

So yeah, theoretically she's quite marketable, actually.

8. Allskate

In general, the Idol coronation singles are really bad. I can understand why The Voice doesn't have them release a crap single immediately. By virtue of the format, I don't think you'll ever see The Voice create the kind of fan following of a contestant that Idol creates. People see much more of the Idol contestants over the course of the season than they do of The Voice contestants. And, as much as The Voice has milked the sob stories this season, I think Idol does it even more. Plus, people can vote like crazy on Idol. They just become much more invested in the Idol contestants.

9. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I kind of want to see Sasha win just to see Shakira's reaction. She's adorable and I love how genuinely excited she gets.

10. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

I am completely bored by Holly & Danielle & I seldom make it thru their entire songs. Amber also bores me quite a bit & she hits a lot of flat notes. The Swons are so likeable that I don't really care what they sing. I also like Sasha & Michelle but the only one that I am likely to buy is Michelle. Her pre-Voice youtubes are amazing.

1st round - my ranking:
    1. Sasha Allen: Aretha Franklin’s “Ain’t No Way” (Contestant’s Choice) |
    2. The Swon Brothers: Darius Rucker’s “Wagon Wheel” (Contestant’s Choice) |
    3. Michelle Chamuel: Keane’s “Somewhere Only We Know” (Usher’s Choice) |
    4. Amber Carrington: Skid Row’s “I Remember You” (Adam’s Choice) |
    5. Holly Tucker: Martina McBride’s “When God-Fearing Women Get the Blues” (Blake’s Choice) |
    6. Danielle Bradbery: Pam Tillis’ “Shake the Sugar Tree” (Blake’s Choice) | Grade: B-

2nd round - my ranking:
    1. Sasha Allen: Carrie Underwood’s “Before He Cheats” (Shakira’s Choice)
    2. Michelle Chamuel: Taylor Swift’s “I Knew You Were Trouble” (Contestant’s Choice)
    3. The Swon Brothers: Merle Haggard’s “Okie from Muskogee” (Blake’s Choice) |
    4. Danielle Bradbery: Sara Evans’ “A Little Bit Stronger” (Contestant’s Choice) |
    5. Holly Tucker: Rascal Flatts’ “My Wish” (Contestant’s Choice) | |
    6. Amber Carrington: Patsy Cline’s “Crazy” (Contestant’s Choice) |

That was the worst arrangement of Crazy I've ever heard. I was cringing by the end. I would not be unhappy to lose Holly, Danielle, or Amber, & not because I'm not a country fan. I just find Holly & Danielle supremely boring & Amber is flat and/or pitchy so often that it's off-putting.

Sasha really surprised me tonight. Her stage presence has improved so much she's like a different person. In her last song she looked gorgeous, sexy, and fierce even though I didn't really think the song suited her - but the attitude sure did.

ETA: I have to change my ranking for round 1. After hearing the studio version of Michelle's Somewhere Only We Know I would put it at #1. I just really couldn't hear it live.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  11. LadyNit

LadyNit moving right along Staff Member

I'm continually impressed by Shakira's critiques. She is so articulate and sophisticated. I'm a fan. :biggrinbo

12. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Michelle's first song was a terrible choice for her. She did her thing with it, but what a wasted opportunity. I don't really care for Taylor Swift, but that performance sold me (doesn't hurt that Taylor Swift cannot sing live for shit :p).

Sasha's first song was good - but her second one was the performance of the night :respec:

Amber had a terrible night!! That Skid Row song should have been ripe for countrification a la "Every Rose Has Its Thorn", but the performance was completely flat. Maybe because, as she said, she had never heard of the song or the group. But WTF was up with the murder of Patsy Cline?!? :scream: oy.

I can't believe this, but I liked Danielle's 2nd song :eek:

Swons did their thing, whatever. Previously I thought they might win, being the lone men left in a sea of damsels, and being the first duo etc...but they've now been slotted as stereotypical cowboy country lite yokels, so no way.

Was Holly even there?

This week was totally Blake's revenge for Adam's comment last week, wasn't it? :scream:

13. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

At least he didn't have any of them sing "God Bless the USA." I would've turned off the TV.

14. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, whenever I hear "Trouble" I automatically think of the you tube goat remix. :shuffle: But, it's Michelle, so she gets a pass from me.

I didn't like Sasha until last night, but I'm a fan. She's peaking at the right time.

As a country fan, any of the 'country' artists can go home tonight and I'd be fine. Danielle is like a robot, might be technically 'there', but no connection at all to anything. Swons are a fluke, and if they were going to do yet another 'hey, we're two good ole boys from Oklahoma' song, I'd suggest "Oklahoma Borderline" by Vince Gill. Holly is just window dressing that shouts.

15. PRlady

PRlady Who gives a fig?

I've decided Amber is the best of the lot. She can sing outside country but her country stuff is fine. She's not going to beat Danielle, unfortunately.

16. burntBREAD

burntBREAD Active Member

It's her 140 IQ talking! I remember she called someone's voice (I think Caroline Glaser's audition) "diaphanous". Who does that?!

17. rfisher

If the itunes charts are any indication, the final 4 will be Michelle, Sasha, Danielle and the Swons. Holly will probably leave tonight and Amber next week depending on song choice next week. Michelle will get the bonus points for being in the top 10 this week which may help her win. I think this is the first time someone has got the bonus.

18. burntBREAD

burntBREAD Active Member

Danielle had it with "Heads Carolina, Tails California".

19. PRlady

PRlady Who gives a fig?

I can't access ITunes at work. Michelle is ahead of Sasha? Which song, the Taylor Swift?

I lurve me some Michelle but not that song. Grenade, however, is on heavy rotation in my IPod.

20. burntBREAD

burntBREAD Active Member

Michelle's at #4 for TSwift and #19 for Somewhere We Only Know. Danielle barely missed it (she's at #11 and 20-something), Sasha's somewhere in the 20s as well (behind the Swon Brothers...).

21. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

that sounds like the dream set up for the producers. see ya Adam!

22. Allskate

I think the producers would very much prefer Amber and Adam in the finale. But it would be funny if Adam, who was such a great salesman during the blind auditions and came away with the strongest team, didn't make the finale. It would be even funnier if Sasha, who Adam gave away, was in the finale.

Itunes sales rankings have fluctuated over the weeks, though Danielle always does well. I'm not assuming that this week's rankings will be the same as next week's. Plus, there's always the other votes.

23. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

I bought Michelle's Somewhere Only We Know. To enjoy it you really have to hear the lyrics & the live setting was just not the place for it. The studio version is great. I also bought Trouble. I detest Taylor S but I liked Michelle's version, & to be fair, I also liked Danielle's version of Mean. If I were TS I would not clear my songs for anyone because it makes her seem like a pale imitation.

24. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

This is a strong group. My rankings:

Sasha
    Michelle
    Danielle
    Amber
    Swons
    Holly

25. puglover

puglover Active Member

I really wasn't too aware of Shakira until she became a judge. I am really impressed with her thoughtful comments, how genuine she seems, and her amazing command of the English language. I can't believe how articulate she is in a language that is not her native tongue.

26. PRlady

PRlady Who gives a fig?

I had barely heard of her, I just knew of her as a Latina pop phenom. I agree she's impressive. And boy did she look hot in that dress last night. If it was indeed her idea for Sasha to "change costume" mid-song, it was a good idea. ;)

27. Alixana

Alixana who is on vacation!!

just caught up on PVR .. Sasha and Michelle rocked it. Others meh although I have a soft spot for the Swon Brothers and their Merle Haggard cover.

28. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i've never heard open your heart sung by a real singer. and it sounds better than the original but it seems like it is has been on for 12 minutes.

29. rfisher

I really want Sasha to make the finals just so she and Shakira can sing together and totally shake their booties.

30. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

Cassadee is singing even worse than she did on her season.