The Voice, Season 4

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Matryeshka, Mar 26, 2013.

1. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I so could have done without Holly making it through.

Shocker of an elimination (for Judith anyway).

2. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

if you keep telling people how much better someone is, viewers may think they dont need your vote

3. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Very true. Adam looked very surprised. Did he have any artists to make it through?

4. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

Adam looked dumbfounded. I'm with him. Judith out before the Swon Brother is just wrong. WRONG.

5. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

Swon Bros in and Judith out is bewildering to say the least. Man, the country vote. Gave us eight years of W and now this. :confused:

And I LIKE country music, the Amber/Holly duet had PRkid and me jumping up and down, we loved the Reba/Linda original and PRkid was then only six years old!

So Adam still has Amber...his country singer. :rofl:

6. my little pony

well. judith is almost 30, has industry connections, a high profile gig made even more high profile when jacko died, has an interesting look, and still needs the voice. for all her technical proficiency, there is something missing, for me anyway.

7. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

Yes. She's shy and doesn't connect easily with an audience. Sort of reminds me of Melinda Doolittle on Idol, another backup singer with a smashing voice who got sent home too soon.

8. missing

missing Well-Known Member

I don't like country music (and I'm really annoyed all 3 of Blake's team remain), but I voted for the Swon Bros.last night.

I really like them. I call them The Fabulous Baker Boys or the Swonnies, depending on the mood I'm in.

I was hoping Holly and Amber would lose this week, since I can't tell them apart anyway.

My money is on a Michelle/Danielle final, very blue state/red state. And it wouldn't surprise me if Michelle won. I'm sensing a Danielle backlash beginning to form.

9. Smiley0884

Smiley0884 New Member

Curse of the fauxhawk. Even though it's a different show, Judith should have known better after what happened to Nadia Turner and Sanjaya when they decided to wear a fauxhawk on American Idol... :drama:

10. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

I admire Judith's talent, but I never felt like she really connected emotionally with the audience. The weird hair and bizarre shoe choices didn't help. And Sarah was insanely talented, but had too many meh songs, including Somebody That I used to Know. Adam has not been a fabulous coach from a song-picking standpoint, imo.

I hear the problems with the Swon brothers, but I am still a sucker for harmonies.

I wish Danielle would have waited a few years to audition and gotten a little more life under her belt.

Amber really shocked me last night -- I liked her Skyfall better than Adele's. That's one hard song to sing, but she sounded really good. Michelle is still my favorite. We need a little more quirky in life.

11. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

I'm thrilled Amber made it through but Judith getting cut before the Swons and Holly makes me sad. Poor Adam lost most of his team tonight which just doesn't seem right. (((Adam))) :fragile:

Guess I'll be voting for Amber again next week. I never vote on these things but I'm very glad that I did last night. Go Amber! :cheer:

12. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

There are four singers in the finals on The Voice. I wouldn't discount Adam being out of the competition next week. Blake has half the top 6 left so the odds are certainly good he'll have a singer in the finals and could very well have two. Song choice will be critical for Sasha and Michelle next week to beat Amber, Holly or the Swons. I think the Swons are on an upward swing and they and Danielle might very well be in the top 4. There's no accounting for what people will buy in regard to music or Beiber and Taylor Swift wouldn't be multimillionaires, Nikki Minaj wouldn't be able to afford wigs and 99% of the singers in the Billboard 100 would still have day jobs.

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  13. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Bring back Olate Dogs! :cheer2: And I may be going to hell, but I freaking love Taylor Swift's backing vocals on the Tim McGraw song "Highway Don't Lie" - really cheesy song, but the harmonies are to die for. Autotuned to hell, but to die for.

^^ This. I never connected with her and she always seemed to be putting on a show, rather than connecting with the song.

And I thought Sarah sucked weekly.

I'm on team Usher at the moment - LOVE Michelle. She's like the anti-Danielle. And I hated "Grenade" when it was popular, but it's such a layered song, it gets better when you don't hear it every 5 minutes.

Adam looked stunned. He had such a talent heavy team that I think he forgot the voters. Or, it's the Adam's country singer against the Blake juggernaut that everyone upthread was predicting. :shuffle:

14. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I don't think that's it. I definitely thought Judith was in danger this week and that, if she survived this week, she'd be gone by next week. I think Judith and Adam did a terrible job of choosing songs after the first couple of performances. Most of them were older and then she does a crap Bieber/Will.I.Am song. She was my favorite at the beginning, but I've liked her less and less. Plus, she's not country or on Blake's team, and this show is becoming Country Idol. I think Sasha will be gone next week. I continue to maintain that, from the beginning, the producers saw Danielle/Blake and Amber/Adam in the finale.

ETA: I don't know why Adam would be surprised by Judith going home. He knows the Itunes sales and her sales have been bad.

15. moebius

moebius Well-Known Member

I smell another Cassadee as the winner. Grrrr... As much as I enjoy Blake's humour, I'm glad he won't be on next season, so that we don't have another country/pop winner.

16. HeatherC

Next season's judges will be Blake, Christina, Adam, and CeLo so he will be back in the fall.

17. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

Aww, but I like Shakira! She's adorb.

Not surprised that Judith got sent home. There was nothing about her song this week that screamed "VOTE FOR ME" and it wasn't something I was really interested in listening to once, let alone buying on iTunes, and she doesn't have a personal connection with me to make me want to vote for her regardless of song.

18. HeatherC

Christina and CeLo are only doing the fall version of the show. Shakira and Usher will be back for the spring version. :)

19. Spareoom

Phew! But wouldn't it be fun to have Shakira and Christina on the same show? Hehe.

20. Allskate

Yes! They would complement each other well. I thought XTina was good at convincing singers to join her team and I think she's the been the best of all the judges at giving constructive criticism. Shakira is very likeable, but not particularly effective at getting contestants to join her team and making the right decisions.

21. Spareoom

Yeah, but all of Christina's singers never really panned out...she always picked great talent but didn't manage them as well in the live rounds. Hopefully she learned some tips from Blake and will be back swinging with a kick-butt strategy.

How about Shakira and Christina on the SAME team? Yeah? :D Blake would go crazy, hehe.

22. Meredith

Meredith what a glorious day!

Someone said this is becoming the country version of the The Voice, and (sadly) I agree.

I was shocked that Judith didn't make it through. I respected her for taking on a song quite different than what she usually sings, and I thought overall she has been stellar on the show, plus she has a wardrobe to die for. My dream finale - now - is Michelle v Sasha.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  23. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Shrug: apparently a lot of viewers, voters and people who buy from itunes like country music. I know a lot of people here don't, but it is hugely popular. I would buy Danielle and Sasha's music before I bought Michelle's. I think she is very much a niche market. She'll make the final 4 but I don't think she'll win.

24. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Adam blew it big time. It's a holiday week, the last week of school for many, and move out week for the college crowd. People are busy, busy, busy. If there was any week to have your team sing very familiar stuff from the 80s or earlier, this was the week to try to pull some of Blake's votes.

25. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

I was completely over Blake's humor by the 2nd season. I esp don't appreciate all the wink wink "latte" jokes. If he really has a drinking problem he needs to keep it to himself & not make it seem endearing to all his young followers. There is nothing endearing or hip or cute about a drunk.

I was really a Judith fan although I do agree that Adam didn't pick the best music for her. But she picked Wednesday's song herself so he can't be blamed for that. The thing is, if she had done that song after a string of show-stoppers she would have been fine.

I'm totally ok with Sarah going home. IMO she was gifted with a great voice but I hate the way she used it. Did she ever do one song without hitting sour notes? If so, I didn't notice. What really baffles me is Holly. I understand the power of Blake but it usually doesn't extend to his whole team & IMO she isn't unique enough or dynamic enough to set herself apart. How she has outlasted some of the others really puzzles me. I liked Garrett & Vedo 10X more than her.

But it doesn't matter - Michelle is going to win anyway. I hope.

26. my little pony

i HATE country music but i think calling it "country voice" does not give enough credit to the bad song choices by the non country artists

meanwhile, danielle has had great song choices for her. i would never listen to them but i can see that she is crazy marketable. chubby blonde # 1 last night had a great song choice. chubby blonde # 2 didnt even sing country last night. i cant figure out what the swons are but they are the only males. sarah has had 1 good song all season and it wasnt this wk. i have no idea what judith is trying to be as an artist.

27. Allskate

I talked about the bad song choices, especially for Judith, including in the post where I referred to the show as Country Idol. There's more than one factor. But, the popularity of country music is certainly a big factor. The popularity of Blake is independently a factor because I think his fans vote for his team members because they are fans of Blake. I'm tired of Blake for a range of reasons, including the lattes. And Holly is not only getting the support of country and Blake fans, but Christian fans.

And the judging and manipulation has kind of been ridiculous. I think Danielle is very marketable and has a lot of potential, but that doesn't excuse their failure to be honest about her. In fact, it makes it sillier. She'd probably win anyway.

28. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Note to Judith:

Success in the "music business" has everything to do with audience connection; and often, very little to do with ability as a singer.
    Ask Justin Bieber!

29. taf2002

taf2002 Texas slumlord

The only manipulation I've seen is just the line-up of who goes first & who goes last. Holly has been 1st or 2nd every week it seems. And Amber has been last or near the last a lot. But I think the "judging" has been too easy on all of them across the board although I agree they have all been very easy on herDanielle. The times she sang serious songs & grinned the whole way thru was ridiculous. She does have a good chance of winning but I'm hoping for a Michelle win. Plus if Blake won 3 times in a row he would be even more unsufferable than he is now.

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  30. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Poor Adam. :lol: http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity...y-comment-on-the-voice-sparks-scandal-2013295

And add me to the people who'd love to see a Blake Break. Maybe he can go off to rehab? :40beers: But that is his country 'brand' - the 'good time drinker', so I guess he plays to it.

PS - I'm a country fan, but there's a lot of it that's just too 'yee haw, tailgate down, dirt road, mama's cooking' stuff for me. It's like some of them never got over getting a driver's license. :scream: