The Voice, Season 4

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Matryeshka, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Alixana

Alixana who is on vacation!!

Just catching up on DVR. Blake was sweating trying to keep up with Shakira .. she *rocked* that duet!

ETA: the Shakira part of the duet won the night for me. :lol:

Enjoyed Karina and Danielle (love love that Pam Tillis song) .. even Justin and Swon Bros. But Sasha is in a league of her own. What she did with Oh Darlin' and her solos in We are the Champions .. whoa, lots of goosebumps.

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  2. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

Since I surprisingly liked Danielle's performance, I looked up the original on youtube. Holy crap, that is a great freaking song. Pam Tillis' voice is amazing. I watched some others by her and ummm...no...still not a fan of country music, but damn that one song is fantastic(shake the sugar tree? really?). I've got it on iTunes now. Maybe that's Blake's evillle purpose all around, to try to convert innocent ears to country. Though that's the only one that would do it. I won't be fishing in the dark anytime soon. Having a night of :grope: in Memphis in the summer? THAT I would do.

I particularly love this stanza:
    Read about you in a Faulkner novel
    Met you once in a Williams play
    Heard about you in a country love song
    Summer nights beauty took my breath away

3. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Pam Tillis is Mel Tillis' daughter. He was a country music icon.

Safe Team Blake: Holly Tucker and Danielle. Blake will have to choose between the boys and he goes with (I think he thought one of them would be saved and it would be Holly he'd choose), so he goes with the Swons. I want them to sing Montgomery Gentry next round. Hot Swon could make lots of new fans if they did.

Rod may hurt himself if he keeps trying to bust a move.

4. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

I have to wonder if it was Blake's plan all along to sabotage Justin and the Swon Brothers given the very weak song choices he gave them to perform. Neither song choice gave the guys the opportunity to showcase their vocal strength. It's really hard to swallow though that Justin got the ax because he is the best singer of all 3 of those guys. He's a friggin' Grammy nominee for goodness sake. Blake is a buffoon! *shaking my head*

5. Matryeshka

Really? I think Justin is the best looking, but he's lucky to even be there. All of Shakira's team and most of Adam's team could cream him. At least the Swon Brothers are entertaining.

Blake's pretty crafty--he picks one or two singers he thinks will win from the audition round and does everything he can to get them in position to win. The other judges kind of waffle towards the end and gives everyone a more or less equal chance. Blake considers it a competition among the judges and plays it that way.

That good ole boy charm is good at getting votes too because he I think was the first to realize in this format where a judge can be teamless, voters go for the judge as much as the voices. But I think Shakira might be a bit of a challenge for the likeability vote though.

6. rfisher

Juliet :cheer2: Great that CeeLo is supporting her career. Is she touring with him? They are awesome together.

Team Shakira: This one will be difficult. I'd lose Kris if it were my choice.
    First save: Sasha :cheer2:
    Second: Kris Whoa. That's a surprise
    She'll save Karina surely. And she goes with ..she says she picked the name to save out of a hat...and it is Garrett. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :wuzrobbed: She says she can improve him because Karina is already good.

well, there goes one of my final four :lol: What do I know. OK, now one of Blake's girls can be in the final four.

7. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I'm surprised Blake gave Justin the boot, but not because I think Justin is a good singer. I just thought Justin wouldn't be an option and Blake would be choosing between Holly and the Swon Brothers.

8. Matryeshka

Juliet :swoon: Stupid cold of hers--she should have won :wuzrobbed

I think she's had some vocal lessons; she sounds smoother and more in control. She was keeping up with CeeLo. :respec:

SSSAAAASSSHHAAA!!!!!!!!!!!

9. PRlady

PRlady still standing

Seriously? I missed Monday and Tuesday but there is no planet in which Garrett outsings Karina. I have to figure Shakira is being strategic too and her money is on Sasha.

10. Matryeshka

I expected it to be Karina and Kris in the bottom, with Shakira booting Kris. I knew she'd keep Garrett.

There's a very high school choir sound to this.

11. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

is garrett still there so he can not take attention away from sasha?

12. Allskate

I'm not surprised Shakira stuck with Garrett. She seems stuck on him, and she doesn't seem to like Karina's taste in music. It really stinks, though. I definitely would have sent Garrett packing.

13. rfisher

Have you ever heard 8 people sing anything that didn't sound like a high school choir? :lol:

Team Usher: I want Josiah to go through, but won't be surprised if he doesn't. Cathia--don't care one way or the other but I don't think he'll save her a 2nd time. Veto and Michelle should be the audience saves which means Josiah might get lucky.

Nailed it. Now Usher just go with pretty boy. Yes. He's my Dez this season. :)

14. Allskate

No, I think Shakira is just soft on Garrett.

15. Alixana

Alixana who is on vacation!!

For sheer fun, try "Cleopatra, Queen of Denial" .. it's not Shakespeare but fun karaoke. :lol:

Back on topic, still have a soft spot for Rod Stewart. Cee-lo & Juliet are fabulous!

16. Allskate

I suspect that Adam is going last because Judith is in the bottom two. I will be seriousl bummed if both Judith and Karina go tonight.

17. rfisher

Caroline has to go unless the audience saved her in which case, I don't know who Adam will sacrifice of Sarah, Judith and Amber.
    Audience save: Judith, Amber (unexpected)
    He'll send Caroline away but I wouldn't cry if it were Sarah. Adam saves Sarah as the credits are rolling, the producers are screaming and Carson is sweating. :lol:

18. Matryeshka

I pretty much think America got it right for Blake, Adam, and Usher's team. I have no idea what happened with Shakira's team.

19. Allskate

Why is the Amber save unexpected? I thought that she was the frontrunner on Adam's team.

20. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Absolutely crushed over losing Justin and Caroline; they were definitely 2 of my favorites. I guess my allegiance now falls to Judith and Garrett. I like Michelle too; she's so likeable, fresh, and unique.

21. PRlady

PRlady still standing

Just crushed over losing Karina and determined to vote for Sarah next week. :lol: Which is hilarious, I almost never vote on any show I watch.

Oh, Matry, there's a beautiful Pam Tillis song called "The River and the Highway." And one of the best BFF-telling-you songs ever, "Spilled Perfume."

Blake's not the only one with a country agenda. :EVILLE:

22. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

Tonight was a first - all my favs got thru. I loved Karina but she has fallen short the last few times. She was amazing on It's A Man's World but she hasn't been very good since. And I would rather have Garrett than her. I am a lot more likely to buy his music IF he improves the way I think he can.

I find the Swon Brothers more entertaining than Justin but basically didn't care - I would have rather that Blake's team lost Holly than either. But I don't really care for country anyway. And I didn't much care which way Sarah/ Caroline or Josiah/Cathia went so I didn't care about those saves at all. I like the way the teams have shaped.

23. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I'm pleasantly surprised that the voters seem to be keeping the spirit of the show. Those voted thru had the best pitch and control. I'd swap Blake's and Shakira's saves, but I think this is a pretty good final dozen.

24. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

I've been pondering this for a bit. (My life is so exciting! :p) I think you are completely right and the most obvious example of this was Jordis. They tried to so hard to mold her into some glamorous pop princess that just wasn't her, and it completely showed when her nerves caught up to her. Too bad she wasn't on the first season.

And now I think AI is getting caught up in the "package artist" crap as well, though it's probably been going on for awhile, just not as obviously. (see: Carly Smithson taming down her image in Season 7)

25. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Thank you for all the posts about being :eek: about Garrett being picked over Karina. I missed the show last night and just checked Wikipedia and I can't belong Shakira's choice. :soapbox:

26. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

Have you listened to Carly's music since then? She fronts a band called We Are The Fallen. I think they are really good - I love their rock sound. She reminds me of Ann Wilson

27. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

I've seen them in concert :) They toured with Finnish metal band HIM a couple years ago.

28. Matryeshka

LOVE the AC being out and Carson getting a little pissy with Usher. All he wanted to talk about was the sprinklers :rofl:

ETA: If I saw that at Howl at the Moon, I'd love it. I'd be singing along with it, flagging down shot girls, and saying, wow, he should be on The Voice. But for it being on an actual competition, it was a little flat. When Usher did it, it was awesome, but Vedo doesn't have the attitude to carry it off. He's a good dancer and singer, but he's missing charisma.

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  29. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

This night has so much potential for judge snarkiness if they don't get the a/c going soon! I feel bad for everyone but I'm cracking up at the same time and hoping they don't get it fixed for a while. Hope that doesn't make me a bad person but I like the extra stress it adds to the performers and judges. Give me the drama! :rofl: :shuffle: :biggrinbo :lol:

30. rfisher

Vedo seems like a nice guy, but he's like a lot of other talented nice guys. However, I think he'll survive till next week. Holly taking on a Martina song. You've got to have the chops to come close to Martina.

I'm glad it's bottom two eliminations regardless of team. :cheer2: I just hope they don't do the bonus point thing and let each week determine the winner without extra points.

Crap. Garrett was OK. Sort of. I want Josiah to be better and he most likely won't be. Depends on which girls vote for which cute pop star.

Last edited: May 14, 2013