1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Voice, Season 4

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Matryeshka, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

Right now, those are my top three. I predict that none of them will actually end up in the top three. I think we'll have at least two country singers in the top four.

My thoughts on tonight’s performances:

Amber – That was my favorite performance from her so far. Not as boring and generic as usual.

Josiah – Not good. That song was a bad choice. He just couldn’t handle it. I think Usher’s banking on the theory that Josiah will get lots of the votes for the pretty. I’d probably send him home, but I’m sure that’s not going to happen.

Sarah – I didn’t get all the love for Sarah. I think this was her worst performance so far. I didn’t like the way she wavered back and forth between soft and powerful. She seemed to have some vocal control issues.

Cathia – Usher needs to start picking more current songs. And PL is right. Too many ballads.

Caroline – Did not like the yodeling or phrasing, and I couldn’t understand a lot of the words she was singing. I sometimes wonder if she even knows what the lyrics are about in the songs she sings. It’s always the same. IMO, Adam should send her home this week.

Vedo – Ugh. Usher! How can Usher not choose better songs. But I thought he sang better than Josiah.

Michelle – Usher made a good song choice. Lyrically it made sense, and it showed a different side of her voice. She sounded better than she has in past performances.

Judith– She was fabulous. I’m not sure this kind of song is what’s going to get her votes from a lot of viewers. I hope Adam mixes it up for her in terms of song choice.

2. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Michelle is the only reason I'm still watching. Although I'm not thrilled with the mom bob she's been given.

Sarah :wall: That performance of Angel was just off the mark - it was a karaoke version of Brandi Carlile singing Sarah MacLaughlan :fragile: And they dressed her in a Stevie Nicks Halloween costume (I laughed out loud when Adam said she looked like Stevie later in the ep). She did much better in the group song.

I guess I'm alone - I really like Caroline's voice. yes, she was shaky last week and only squeezed through because she was up against an even shakier Amy, but I find her more interesting to listen to than the far superior technician Amber.

I can't believe Adam's designing team. I hated every single thing they chose for his singers!

I have completely forgotten the blonde boy's performance. Vedo was ok, but I was :duh: that he had never even heard of Phil Collins! (((the '80s))) :p

no more ballads!

3. moebius

moebius Well-Known Member

Ugh! Josiah wrecked my current all time fave song. Yeah, hard core Muse fans hate that song, but I love it because it's a great pop song. This is what pop songs should sound like, not like the crap you hear on the radio.

4. Aceon6

Aceon6 Hopping around

My faves last night were Amber and Michelle. I may be too picky, but I heard a couple of clunkers in Judith's performance and didn't hear any from Amber or Michelle.

5. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I had high hopes after the blind auditions/battle rounds, but I feel like the judges didn't do very well in pairing contestants for the knockout round. I'm sure it's all strategy on their part, but the show seems to missing something. I can't help but think some of the stronger contestants would have added to the show. Hopefully Shakira and Blake's teams will do better.

6. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

My faves were Michelle, Amber, and Judith. Josiah should go home for sure.

7. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Judith left me cold again. She's technically perfect, but it's like a robot perfect.

Never thought I'd say this, but I loved Amber. And Michelle was really good, but that damned haircut bugged. She looked like an insect! :eek:

8. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

I think that I am the only one who LOATHES Judith. I can't stand her personality, her sense of entitlement, and most of all, her voice. UGH.

And for those of you who didn't like 'Angel', you have to remember that she didn't pick the song. It's not one of those songs that a 'singer' would sing-- it's one that a singer/songwriter performs. Sarah should have been given something a bit more edgy, but I still loved her.

9. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

I agree that Judith has a sense of entitlement...but I also think she's earned it. She's young, pretty, and incredibly talented. You got the trifecta, you get to be a diva.
    I wouldn't be entirely surprised though if she didn't make it to the end. While she's singing, I like her. I forget about her five minutes later.

The breakout for me was Amber :eek: I thought Adam was CRAZY for not putting his battle rounds with Warren v. Amber (country v. country, keeping Warren) and Caroline v. Sasha, keeping Sasha. Sasha, Warren, Judith, Sarah would have been a heck of a team. Shakira's probably shaking her hips to the final four with Sasha. But now I totally forgive him for keeping Amber. She and Michele were the only two who had performances I'll probably remember favorably. They're also the only ones who I felt understood the songs they were given.

But the performance of the night goes to Adam and Usher. They were amazing in sound and in looks and everything.

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  10. rfisher

rfisher At least I still have Pairs to look forward to

Let's face it. Who is this show all about anyway? Hoping this means we get Shakira and Blake tonight. :cheer2: And CeeLo tomorrow. :cheer2:

11. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I don't think she acts like a diva or like she has a sense of entitlement. I think she does have a very good sense of who she is an artist and she'd be stupid to think she's not talented. But, that's different from behaving like a diva or feeling entitled to win regardless of performances. However, I think her style of singing is not the style that appeals to the kind of viewer that votes a lot and downloads from ITunes. I think Amber and Danielle -- and even Caroline -- are more likely to appeal to that audience.

I didn't think it should be Amber v. Warren last week. I thought Adam should have set up the pairings last time so that he ended up with both Amber and Warren (and not Caroline) Instead, he paired those two and paired Caroline and Amy.

12. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

I think that has got to be the main difference between American Idol and the Voice...The Voice starts out looking strictly for singers and then attempts to transform them into personable, mainstream artists who have wide appeal, where American Idol isn't looking necessarily for the best singer; they're looking for the best "idol". They choose people who have broad appeal, "stars" who have a good voice to boot.

Someone like Judith has an AMAZING voice, but as a singer, as a performer, she doesn't have a lot of personal appeal. To me, there's nothing about Judith that makes me think, "wow, I should buy all her records, and go to all her concerts, and I'd be fascinated by the music that she creates".

Just my two cents. :) Out of all the singers so far, the one that I think has the best shot to win is Sasha. I think Sarah is going to be leaving quite soon; she doesn't translate to live shows well, and I don't think Judith has what it takes to garner a ton of fan support. I liked Sasha, what I saw of her. But admittedly, there are other performers that I remember better, like Caroline, Michelle and Danielle. Doesn't mean they sing better, just means that I REMEMBER them better.

13. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

See, this is the problem that I've had since S1 of The Voice. that first season, the mentors worked really well with their singers to emphasize who they already were, instead of trying to "transform" them into something more marketable. One of the best moments was Xtina's duet of "Beautiful" with Beverly - who is pretty much the anti-Aguilera in both voice and image. Now, singers are pushed into performances that work against their style (Sarah) and what makes them stand out is tempered for mass appeal. To me, that tactic completely undermines what the show was allegedly about (the voice, not the packaging). Given the surprising popularity of the show, and the fact that the most commercial finalist won, the show has changed gears a bit and now I barely care about the show or the singers.

14. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

I want to go sing karaoke with Blake (and Miranda). :lol: That looked like fun.

I don't remember 2 of Blake's team. :shuffle: I remember the brothers and Danielle, but no clue who the others are.

15. Matryeshka

This song is awful, but I think they're performing it well.

16. rfisher

I couldn't care less who wins or if they become big stars. I watch because I love the judges as performers, the interaction between them (Blake and Adam always make me laugh) and to be entertained each week. I think that's why more people watch the Voice than AI. If the performances by the contestants are good, I consider it a bonus and enjoy it for what it is. Sort of how I enjoy AGT during the summer.

I like Blake's group's number.

17. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Shakira's choice for Garrett :confused: So odd. "Imagine"? Really? And what the hell was that at the end? Was he dying or choking?

18. Matryeshka

I'm pretty sure I'll be in the minority, but I loved that. I liked the growls and this song sung with a harder edge.

OK, Shakira you can shut up now. We all know you want to jump him after you kick him off tomorrow.

19. rfisher

:lol: Have you seen her Spanish soccer playing BabyDaddy?

20. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

:swoon: Eyes! Plus I don't get why everyone thinks Garrett is so good looking. He's too baby faced to look like a swoon worthy rocker.

21. shan

shan Well-Known Member

You mean this guy?

Oh goody a ballad!! :scream: This is meh song choice for Holly. I admit I'm not a big fan of hers.

22. Matryeshka

I'll be sure to comfort him after she molests Garrett.

And she's a fiery Latina--she needs a little variety. :grope:

That's one of Usher's favorite songs? :rofl:

23. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was :huh:

24. peibeck

I am not much of a country fan, and I do like Holly's voice, but I think she actually over-sang that; to many little runs that took away from meaning of the words.

25. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

I'll be voting for Chris. I love the smoothness of Bruno Mars, and that was a great choice.

26. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Bruno Mars is becoming overplayed (to me it's almost at Adele levels).

In other news, Nicole just did a back flop on Splash. :yikes:

27. peibeck

No offense to Kris, who really did a good job, but Candice Glover out sang him doing that same song last week on "American Idol." :shuffle:

28. Matryeshka

I think it's a dumb move to sing songs that are currently on the charts, especially if you're not doing a distinctive arrangement. This is a great type of song for him, but I now I just want to hear Bruno Mars sing it. Two years from now, I think this would have been a knock-out but now it has a karaokeish shade to it.

Already a much stronger than last night.

29. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

The songs are already up on iTunes. I might have to take back what I said about Danielle - her song tonight is freaking awesome. Of course, a studio could make my dog sound good, but I'm optimistic...

30. peibeck

At least it gives you more of an idea as to what kind of current style the artist may find his/her niche in, as compared to listening to them sing Whiteny Houston or Phil Collins songs.