The Vampire Diaries-Season 3

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by lmarie086, Sep 29, 2011.

1. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I am so relieved that Alaric is still alive. I want him to kill some vampires! I do think Alaric will not outlast the season, and I am suspecting that Matt and Jeremy will team up to be mini tandem vampire slayers.

That said, those scenes between Damon and Alaric were quite touching.

Oh man, I hope Bonnie never likes vampires minus her mom and Caroline. Love her.

2. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Random thought I've had for quite a while: Anyone else get tired of so many characters wearing all black outfits in an all black setting during the all-black nighttime scenes? So dark! (Such pretty people, I'd like to see them all more!) :lol:

Wasn’t Alaric caged by the Salvatores last episode so that he would do no harm? And now Damon’s chatting to Alaric about how he should not go off on a road trip? Why isn’t Alaric still locked up??

So Jeremy is back in town…they sent him away to be safe and now they’ve brought him back to Troublesville? (I'm sure there's a plot point that I missed out on that allowed Jeremy back into the fold...help a brother out, would ya?) ;)

When Esther forced Matt and Jeremy to aim their weapons at one another and Alaric stabbed her, my thought was, “chick, you need a quicker trigger finger!!” :lol:

So Elena, Matt and Jeremy are in mortal danger…and Bonnie slowly saunters outside the high school. Pause. “Boys…the spell is broken.” Pause. Stefan: “Well, thank ya Miss Bonnie for breakin’ that there spell.” Pause. Bonnie: “No problem-o old chap, guess we should think about moving on to savin’ our friends.” Pause. Stefan: “Shore than, Miss Bonnie, guess I better head on out then.” Pause… What was with all the non-action when the lives of your friends are in jeopardy?? :huh:

So the plan is to lock up Alaric forever in some tomb for him to spend all eternity? Instead of killing him and putting him out of his misery? Is it because he needs to “transition” for some reason which I am too much of a dolt to realize? (From what I'm aware of, the point of Alaric transitioning is so that he will kill off the original family, which kills all vampires - so any vampires should kill him, so that they can remain alive. What am I missing? :confused:

But he's a bad guy, isn't he? :p

At the end of the episode when Alaric died / started his transitioning, I wondered if Damon was going to look at Alaric and say, "you were my only friend". :(

3. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

4. shsocu

shsocu Active Member

Massive blood loss, alcohol, and paint fumes are not the best combination.

5. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

"I'm not your bitch anymore." Go Tyler!

I take back thinking Alaric could not last the season. He would be a magnificent villain next season! Just don't hurt Sheriff Liz!

Also, TVD does an excellent job of highlighting all the relationships--not just the romantic ones. The final scenes featured the bond between siblings--the Salvatores and the Gilberts.

Klaus' "death" was very well portrayed. And I love the little celebration at the end.

6. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

Klaus better be back. Because Klaus is my fave, and I want Klaroline eventually.

Death to the triangle of doom! It's the worst part of the show. Honestly, she should just get back together with Matt and live a long life with a perfect little family. I don't really ship them, but it's preferable to her coming between the Salvatore brothers.

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  7. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Okay, I missed the part where Tyler became un-sired to Klaus. Later in the episode, Tyler said to Klaus that he broke his bones over 100 times out of love for his girlfriend or something like that. I vaguely remember that...was that a whole mind over matter thing that Caroline taught Tyler? And because of that, Tyler is in control rather than under Klaus' control?

So Alaric is now an unfeeling vampire-killing machine? His humanity is pretty much gone, except for a small trace here or there? When he shoved/threw Elena against the lockers at the high school, I was kind of confused. Is he simply unfeeling or is his repressed anger over her irresponsible behaviour now coming to the surface?

So Caroline helps Rebekah when Alaric tries to kill her...then Rebekah takes off leaving Caroline behind? And doesn't tell anybody that the chick who maybe just saved her life could use some help? :huh: Or is this just an example of Rebekah being self-absorbed?

When Klaus was draining Elena's blood, he said something along the lines of, "just between us girls, who would you have picked?" (Damon or Stefan?) Now a gay guy would refer to himself as female, but do heterosexual men do this? (Vampire or otherwise?) :lol:

I was also confused about the Klaus "death" scene. I use quotation marks because does anyone think Klaus is really dead?? I thought Bonnie and Jeremy's work was to eliminate Alaric. Or was that just a ruse...or did it change from bringing down Alaric to bringing down Klaus? And how exactly was Klaus killed? Stefan stuck his hand into Klaus' chest and made his heart stop? One reason I think Klaus will come back is because Damon said that he and Stefan would be dumping Klaus' body into the lake. Why not take it into a field at noon and let the body burn into a million tiny ashes? (Can some vampires come back from even that, though??)

8. shsocu

shsocu Active Member

Tyler was able to break the sire bond by transforming so many times. He is no longer controlled by Klaus.

He wants to kill all vampires and anyone who sides with them. He cannot kill Elena because Esther bound his life to Elena's. If she dies so does he.

The spell that Bonnie did stopped his heart because Stefan made contact with a main artery. Over time he will dessicate, but it was the same spell that was used on Mikael and we saw that Katherine brought him back. I don't think that it was the plan to kill Klaus because there was a 1 in 4 chance that Damon, Stefan, and Caroline would die with him.

9. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Caroline's dad, before his death, was teaching Tyler how to unsire himself. Tyler tried to kill her dad, so left so he could unsire by himself (hmmm, sounds dirty).

Alaric is now Michael, Klaus and Rebekkah's dad. Alaric had this side of him prior to his transmission, so I think it'll be interesting to know more about him.

Rebekah and Klaus always had to run and hide from Michael, so she probably knows how strong Alaric is. Although Rebekah and Caroline had a slight truce, it didn't mean Rebekah was going to sacrifice her life for Caroline.

Klaus is not dead, dead. Just dessicated. If Klaus was truly dead, a whole lotta vamps would die as well (including Tyler).

10. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

11. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

Well damn, I loved Evilaric.

I'm of two minds about the whole Klaus/Tyler switcheroo/possession thing. I love Klaus and am glad he's not dead. But, it's because of Joseph Morgan that I love him and I don't plan on watching a whole (or even half) a season with Klaus existing in Tyler's body. I guess that means Tyler is dead?

Why exactly did Bonnie make that deal with Klaus and perform the switcheroo anyway? Did I miss something in a previous eppie, or was it just not explained?

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  12. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

That was excellent. So many lovely moments--the bit where Elena's dad directed Stefan to save Elena first most grabbed me. And then when Jeremy saw Ghost!Alaric. And Damon on the phone going "No! No! No!" was LOL.

I am wondering what Bonnie's deal with Klaus is.

Elena has to feed before she becomes a vampire. This is probably where Damon and Stefan will switch their positions on "free will". Damon will support Elena's initial decision not to feed, but Stefan will ultimately do to Elena what he did to Damon (I think poor Dr. Meredith or the Mayor will be the victim).

I am not sure I actually like this direction. I like Elena being a human--with her becoming a vampire, the actual human element may become irrelevant. At the same time, the show can go beyond the "We have to save Elena" meme that virtually every character on the show has had to say at some point.

I also wonder whose blood is in Elena's system.

Is Alaric really gone? The spell must have some type of mechanism in case Elena became a vampire.

Anyways, great season (I know the show has a lot of critics, but I just don't get it--it's a teenage vampire show on the CW--get over it). Looking forward to next season!

13. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Yeah I don't get it either. The show has never pretended to be anything more what trashy entertainment, but what it does, it does brilliantly. The fact that it manages to evoke interesting characterizations and genuine emotion from its soap opera storylines is just to its credit. It's my favorite show on TV right now.

This finale was great. I love that Elena is now a vampire - it will put her on common ground with the Salvatores and eliminate the problem of her not really having a future with either of them if she remains human. On the other hand, I'm over her having to choose one brother or the other. She should research polyamory and just have both :D I didn't get what was the point of having her meet Damon the night of the accident. We know from Caroline's case that once you become a vampire, all the compulsion you underwent during your human days disappears. So vamp Elena will remember both her first meeting with Damon and also him telling her he loves her last season. If she decides to pick Damon over Stefan just because she met him first, that's going to be lametastic. But I trust the writers to not go that route.

As soon as Tyler told Caroline to meet in 2 hours and not to be late, I knew that one of them was doomed. I don't think Tyler is dead. Bonnie specifically told Klaus that she doesn't want him dead because that kills her friends. I don't think she would have made any kind of spell that gets rid of Tyler permanently. I think when Tyler went to tell Bonnie he and Caroline were leaving town, the two of them worked out this deal. Tyler's probably sharing the body with Klaus until evil Alaric dies and Bonnie can put Klaus back in his own body. And boy does this bring an interesting dimension to the Caroline/Klaus/Tyler triangle!

I hope Bonnie goes dark next season. Bring it oN!

14. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

I don't see anything lametastic about Elena choosing Damon over Stefan, if she remembers. It would show that he tried to protect her, early on, and that he chose not to hurt her way back then.

I thought last night's episode was superb. Shed some tears over Alaric. That was very sad.

Agree as well, that the reason I liked Klaus, was because of Joseph Morgan. He's superb and I look forward to seeing him in more things. Hopefully he'll even be back to the show.

I'm still Delena all the way...but I have grown to like Stefan more as well, so at least that's bearable. I think the writers put the "maybe things would be different if I had met you first" in for a reason. She did meet Damon first. ;)

Just thought the whole episode was really well done.

Here's an article/recap of the episode that looks into things a bit more: http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/show/vampire-diaries/the-departed.php

It may be a "teenage" show, but it has some of the best writing on TV right now, in my opinion. I've never seen a show progress the plot along and keep you interested as much. Very few "filler" shows. My 40 something friend in NYC who is a paramedic on the FDNY, loves this show as well...he's the one that got me started on it. So, it's for all ages.

OH, and agreed about Bonnie going dark next season...that would be great :). Her character was rather ho-hum and in the background this season.

15. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Her character has been pretty ho-hum for the entire duration of the show.

16. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

True lol.

I watched it again online yesterday, and I have to say the scene with Klaus in Tyler's body, got to me more on second viewing, because Klaus clearly liked Caroline, and cared about her. I'm sure he relished the hug and affection from her, when he was in Tyler's body.

Also I saw on the twitter of the guy who plays Alaric, that he already has a new series that got picked up.

17. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Jeremy's talent for drawing and Grams' teaching job--the writers' attention to the small details is another reason this show is so good.

The actress who plays Rebekkah is killing it this season. I hope she's back sooner rather than later.

18. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

manhn, if you care to, you are welcome to join us in the season 4 thread of the Vampire Diaries

:p