The Vampire Diaries – Season Two (Thursdays at 8pm on the CW Network)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Sep 7, 2010.

1. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Last season I kept thinking about making a thread for this show, especially as it seemed to improve week after week. I got distracted and never did, but I’m on the ball for season two. It starts in two days!!!! :cheer: :respec: :cheer:

I have to admit I did not have my hopes set very high for this show. I was never really into Twilight or any of the other “vampire” books or shows (that’s changing). But I was surprised that this show was MUCH smarter than I expected. I was expecting a frivolous teen show, but the Vampire Diaries is so much more than that. It’s tough to determine which is better…the writing, the directing or the acting. The fact is…all three are top notch. One thing I like about the show is that I often don’t know where the plot is going, and characters rarely do things that you are expecting episodes before it happens. I find this to be unlike most other TV shows!

So who else is hooked? Who’s thinking of giving it a try? If so, here’s some info in case you want to get caught up…

Wikipedia entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vampire_Diaries

Series overview from wikipedia:

The Vampire Diairies’ main writer and director is Kevin Williamson who did the Scream movies, Dawson’s Creek and movies such as Teaching Mrs. Tingle, Cursed, I Know What You Did Last Summer and the Faculty.

Watch full episodes of the Vampire Dairies online:

http://thevampirediariesvideos.com/

CW homepage for the show:

http://www.cwtv.com/shows/the-vampire-diaries

Season one is now out on DVD:

http://www.amazon.com/Vampire-Diaries-Complete-First-Season/dp/B002JVWR9U/ref=sr_1_3?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1283833435&sr=1-3

Season 2 previews:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8pbFe88oe8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoRkQ7IHRAw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOdvNqDKmAA

2. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

My daughter in laws and I love this series. I have to say the Katherine-Elena season finale was a little :wideeyes: Can't wait to see this season

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  3. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I think The Vampire Diaries is friggin' fantastic. But I will miss Ana. And they better not kill Matt and Caroline!

The show is extremely well paced (storylines are resolved quickly, mysteries are resolved, new mysteries emerge). They have done a very good job of fleshing out all the characters, not just the central trio (with the exception of poor Aunt Jenna). Its best asset is having the town itself be its own character--the town's history adds a neat dimension to the whole series. We can know more about the history of the town and of the founding families, which allows for new storylines to develop organically.

That said, I do have some reservations. So much plot had been plowed through during the first season and so many awesome characters have died (Pearl? Noooo!!!!)--can they still generate new storyline and awesome new characters? And I am not looking forward to the love triangle. I like Ian (A LOT), but I don't want Damon to take on a bigger role in the series. I get tired of the anti-hero in these tv shows--the antagonist who's really just complicated and truly wonderful deep inside. Ugh. Sometimes, a jerk is a jerk because they're jerk, ya know?

4. Orable

Orable Well-Known Member

I loooooooooooooove this show! Just like you guys say, it's well-paced, features well-drawn characters and awesome plot twists, and is not dumb and cheesy as I'd feared it might be. Plus, Damon Salvatore juuust might be the funnest vampire around :cheer2: Nina Dobrev is a breath of fresh air and Elena is the opposite of Bella a Mary Sue. She's a strong, confident, loyal and kind young lady who isn't afraid of making her own choices and living with the consequences. The tertiary characters are interesting and fairly well-developed, too.

I can't overstate how actually good this show is - it's not terrible in the least, has fun characters, witty lines, pretty actors and the best damn vamp on tv (and yes, I am a fan of Askar's Eric Northman, but Somerhalder is something else as Damon :inavoid: )

Way excited about my 3-person VD viewing party this Thursday :40beers:

5. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

I'm so glad other people here love this show! I thought about starting a thread for it myself last season...but I never got around to it either haha. I really can't think of anything I dislike about this show, except for the fact that they killed off Ana AND Pearl.

Nina Dobrev is great as Elena, but she's fantastic as Katherine. I love how wonderfully twisted Katherine is. Damon is just :inavoid: and Stefan is dreamy. I can't wait to see what the writers throw at us this season!

6. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

I love this show too! Kevin Williamson is such a fun creator and great screenwriter! I was disappointed that Kayla Ewell/Vicki Donovan was killed off. I couldn't get over how much she resembles Carolina Kostner! I wish Sean Faris/Ben would have stayed on too. Haha, I sound like I only like the bad characters. :p :lol:

They better never kill off Jeremy/Steven and Matt/Zach or I'll be :EVILLE:!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  7. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

I liked it a lot too. Especially for having a female characted who is not weak and needs to be rescued all the time but can actually do stuff herself.
    I find Stefan a bit boring, though. And Damon too appealing considering how much horrible things he has done. :shuffle:

I hope that the second season will be as good as the first one and that they haven't used up all their ideas already. The seaon finale hints otherwise...

8. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

I would have liked to see more of Ben, since it was kind of nice to have a young, clueless vamp on the scene. I also really came to like Anna a lot. She became my second favorite vamp on the show (behind Damon but far ahead of boring Stefan). I hated that they killed her off.

9. Orable

Orable Well-Known Member

Anna was the best! I loved her and Pearl, but as soon as they killed off Vicki (Matt's sister), I knew that no character (aside from the main 3) was safe. I was still gutted when she was killed :fragile:

Love that actress, too. I hope she gets a lot of job offers as a result of her stint on VD.

10. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

I love the show too...ironically I have saved the final eppy from last season on my DVR because I am such a huge Damon & Elena fan.

11. AshleyN

AshleyN Well-Known Member

Another fan here. I thought it was going to be some Twilight-esque crap, but it really is a lot better than that.

They really need to stop killing off all the awesome female vampires though. Lexi and Pearl were both great, and Anna was my favourite female character on the show. Hopefully that trend will end with Katherine - I agree with whoever said upthread that while Nina Dobrev is good as Elena, she's great as Katherine.

12. Twilight1

I remember reading the books back in 1992 or 1993 and just loving them. I have purchased the last 2 and found they aren`t as good as the original 4 IMHO. Though the ending in the most recent one at the end is pretty cool!!!

13. museksk8r

Yes, I loved Lexi and Anna too! To be honest, the only character on this show that I don't like is Michael Trevino's character, Tyler Lockwood. He's :EVILLE:!

14. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

:cheer:

So glad there are lots of people ready to talk about season two. :D And that there's people out there who are more of an uber than me...people who know the character's full name as well as the actor's name. I think I've got some catching up to do!

Guess I'll look more carefully at these sites:

The official book site:

http://www.vampirediaries.com/

Vampire Diaries fan site:

http://www.vampire-diaries.net/

Site for spoilers and news:

http://vampirediariesonline.com/

TV Fanatic page for the show:

http://www.tvfanatic.com/shows/the-vampire-diaries/

Can't wait for tonight ("dot, dot, dot...) :rofl:

15. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

According to Kristin on E! the season premiere is a doozy :)

16. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Holy crap! Way too much happened! I hope Caroline can last as a vampire. I love her.

And Katherine is so hardcore. And I love Bonnie. This episode was too good for the CW.

17. silverstars

silverstars New Member

I love this show!! Stefan is adorable, but there's just something about the idea of Damon and Elena together that I absolutely love. I'm so happy that the show has caught on and seems to be gaining popularity.

18. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

I watched it and really enjoyed it....hope to keep watching. I had watched the pilot last season and another episode or two, and I kept forgetting to watch it.

19. museksk8r

That was an incredible episode last night, perhaps my favorite of the series so far! Very action-packed and suspenseful! Katherine is a ruthless bad-ass, delivering all the grrrrrrrl power you could possibly want! Looks like Jeremy was yet again saved from becoming a vamp because of his ring protecting him, but poor Caroline wasn't so fortunate. Damon now has 2 big reasons to continue being an antagonist to Stefan with the Elena/Katherine wedge coming between them since Damon loves them both, but both only have eyes for his more sensitive, soulful brother. His pain from being turned down twice shows there is still some humanity there, but his anger towards his brother may mean that his dark side will consume him? Tyler also appears to be continuing on his path of causing havoc for the town of Mystic Falls. It appears all hell is going to break loose soon! Should be exciting to :watch:!

20. mashenka82

mashenka82 New Member

The episode last night was amazing! I love Damon and honestly was quite sad for the guy! I hate how he was essentially begging Katherine to lie to him, to tell him that she cared for him, and she just shot him down! I think this season will be the leveling and then rebuilding of Damon! The scene with Damon/Katherine and then Damon/Elena really broke my heart and I have to give a huge thumbs up to Ian S for his portrayal! I think he did an amazing job bringing a vulnerability to Damon's character!

I absolutely love this show!

21. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

I LOVED last nights episode. Holy crap.

Like I said before, Nina Dobrev is AMAZING as Katherine. What a great character portrayal! And Ian S just brings so much depth to Damon; I felt so bad for him last night :(

Even Stefan seemed a bit darker than in the first season. I really am so excited to see what happens next week...:watch:

22. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

I agree about feeling bad for Damon. I'd be glad to comfort him :grope:

23. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I don't feel bad for Damon. He's such a dope and then breaks the neck of his supposed love's brother. I want Caroline to kick his butt.

24. AshleyN

AshleyN Well-Known Member

Katherine is an awesome HBIC. She played Damon like a fiddle.

I totally called her turning Caroline as soon as Damon offered to give her blood to heal her. That girl seriously cannot catch a break. I hope she goes badass now that she's a vamp to make up for all the crap thrown at her so far.

25. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I watched the premiere with my Mom, who somehow seems unable to wait until the commercial break to ask questions. So I might watch it again later to see if I missed much. I think there was less dramatic impact because of the interruptions... :(

But it was cool to see Taylor Kinney from Trauma now on the Vampire Diaries (as Uncle Mason). I loved Trauma...

Is it just me, or is the cast of this show by far the most BEAUTIFUL cast of any TV show? Every single person is GORGEOUS! Here's an Uncle Mason shot not to be missed (think he works out at all?)...

:swoon:

(Click on the swoon icon and you'll get the picture...)

26. SkateSkates

SkateSkates Member

Last thursdays show was amazing! I definitely agree that nina dobrev is even better at katherine- she's so evil and twisted it's great. I can't wait for next weeks show, because this one was such a cliffhanger with caroline...

I'm just glad they timed the vampire diaries to start when true blood ends so I can get my weekly fix of vampires year round (and not crappy twilight ones)

:)

27. Twilight1

IMHO, Ian makes the show. I love him. I like all the actors and actresses but I love the edge and arc they have with his character and the potential.

Nina is also really good as Elena & Katharine

28. jayta

jayta New Member

I love this show too! Damon is my favorite. Though my heart sank for him when both Elena and Katherine professed that they will always love Stefan!! :( How could anyone love Stefan more than Damon?

It was hard to watch him spiral down. With one final act - 'killing' Jeremy. The drama was amazing. Acting perfection.

It's hard to believe that there's anyway that Elena could possibly fall for Damon. But I want this to happen sooooo much.

I don't really care for Caroline so much. I'd much prefer her as a human though. There's not many of those around. And I don't care much for Tyler's storyline. Maybe if he interacted with the group more then I could possibly care.

Bonnie I hate. You have no idea how much this woman annoys me. She thinks she's ALL THAT. And when she blames Damon for what happened to Caroline it was the last straw. It was HER fault that Caroline almost died from the car crash. Had she broken the spell it wouldn't have happened. Ugh.

But I can't wait for more! Eeeee!

29. mashenka82

mashenka82 New Member

jayta - I'm with you in that it's hard to see a way for Elena to fall for damon, which is why I think this season will be all about demolishing Damon and bringing him to his knees in order to rebuild him and show him as someone who can be loved and who can love back. I think as of right now, we keep seeing this vampire who doesn't care about anyone or anything and if he doesn't get what he wants, he lashes out - which is what he did with jeremy, he didn't get what he wanted from Elena, so he wanted to hurt her back. I think that as the season goes on, we'll see her understand him more and we will see him change into someone who is love-able (not just by Elena, but by others as well).

Also, I really dislike Bonnie and I feel like I'm the only person who hates her! I know she'll blame Damon for becoming a vampire when it was her who actually advocated for Damon to give her blood! Also - in reality, it's her fault that Caroline was in the crash, and her fault that Tyler's dad died and that Anna is now dead - because had she disabled the device like she was asked, none of that would have happened. I really wish she'd been turned into a vamp :p

30. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

As if Bonnie cares about Ana. Ana kidnapped Bonnie. The mayor wanted that gizmo to work, so no sympathy for the mayor. If Bonnie did make the gizmo not work, other humans would've died.

Bonnie can hate Damon all she wants. He tried to kill her and all. Also, I don't see the love showered on Bonnie. She hates Damon-a sin unforgivable to many.