The Ultimate Figure Skating Movie - What Would It Be Like?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Rex, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Unwatchable.

2. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

I think the aftermath of the 1961 plane crash could make for a compelling story. Yes, the USFS did their documentary ("Rise") on it, but it's the kind of plot which would work well for a feature as well.

I think someone could easily make a documentary about some of the more colorful people who attend skating comps as well. Who says it all has to be about the skaters? We FSU-ers are an interesting bunch! :lol:

3. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

As much as I like Ice Castles, I still can't get over someone going blind by crashing into garden furniture.

4. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

"Lobbychicks - The Motion Picture".

peibeck and (deleted member) like this.
  5. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Time for a murder mystery? "Death of a Lobbychick"?

6. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

I'm still holding out for vampires. Preferably Russian. Pale and beautiful.

7. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

It just occurred to me that Artur Gachinski's long program last season (that he used this season too) was "The Demon", including cuts from "Interview With A Vampire". :sekret:

8. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I know we are joking here, and some of this is wildly funny, but if you had to make a serious (NOT "Ice Castle" melodramatic) figure skating movie...what would it be about and could it be done? How would you make it "box office"?

9. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

"Box office" would probably mean either comedy or action/adventure. Could a skating movie be made in either of those genres that would portray the skating aspects realistically?

The other possibility would be a more typical triumph-over-adversity sports story, which is a subset of melodrama but not necessarily over the top.

Something like The Cutting Edge was both romantic comedy and sports triumph in structure. That was popular enough to spawn sequels. Could it be done more realistically?

I'm not really joking when I suggest a murder mystery. That would allow for drama and a reason to watch for plot even for audiences who aren't interested in figure skating per se. But there could be enough of interest about the skating process to make the casual viewers learn more and maybe want to seek out skating itself.

Another possibility would be soapy but not too over-the-top (i.e., still realistic) comedy set at a training rink, so there could be some good skaters doing good skating and also acknowledgment of the average skaters, which would be realistic. Maybe lots of partner switching both romantically and in dance or pair teams, to generate conflict and intrigue.

10. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

Sounds similar in concept (although a drama, not comedy) to the Gymnastics TV series "Make it or Break it" (2009-2012).

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  11. Impromptu

Impromptu Well-Known Member

Oddly enough, I am in the process of outlining a spec script that includes figure skating - however, the skating involved is Special Olympics FS, so it's probably not what you have in mind. (Spec script meaning that when I finish writing it, there's no one who is going to produce it, so I'll have to send it to production companies and agents, and hope for the best).

12. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

It's one of my dreams! The film rights are currently available if any interested companies are reading this ;) I already know who I want for my lead actors :)

13. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Uh huh.

14. lala

lala Well-Known Member