The tuning of Miki Ando after the maternity leave seems to be going very well.

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Akira Andrea, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I think making the Olympic team would be a huge accomplishment already. I can't even begin to think whom of Asada, Suzuki or Murakami she would bump off the team.

2. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Thanks! Well, even if the Olympics doesn't happen, I'm sure Miki would have success teaching a fitness class for new moms called "How to get the figure of an elite athlete 5 months after having a baby". Seriously though, she looks fantastic, fitness wise!

3. RockTheTassel

RockTheTassel Well-Known Member

It would take something drastic for Asada not to go. I have a feeling that if someone got left off the team in favor of Miki, it would be Akiko.

4. MissJD

MissJD Active Member

I really like Miki, and I wish her the best at Nebelhorn! I really don't understand how she doesn't have a coach though. Can anyone explain that to me? (No, really, I have no idea how one would go about getting a coach!)

5. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

While I think it quite courageous of Miki to come back, I also worry about who will be left off the team. I am especially worried about Suzuki, she doesn't seem to get as much Federation support as the others. Kanako is probably my least favorite of the four, but they are all too good to miss out on an Olympics.

6. pat decaro

pat decaro New Member

She seems to be in great shape! This is exciting.

7. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Suzuki peaking at 4CCs and WTT instead of Worlds (like Murakami) may be very costly.

At this stage of their respective career though, it makes sense to favour Murakami over Suzuki. I just really hope Ando have a satisfying Nationals (along with Suguri) and call it a career.

8. inskate

inskate Active Member

I love Kanako, but I'm not sure if (from JSF's POV) she's clearly a better bet. If they're hoping for a medal, a kick-ass skate from Akiko has higher scoring potential than a kick-ass skate from Kanako, as the latter has rather wonky technique on 3F/3Lz(e) and often shaky 3L. If they're hoping for long-term benefits, Kanako's not a great bet either, as she to have her mind set on retiring and studying to become a coach.
    Of course, that's assuming they are both in good physical condition - Akiko had a leg injury this off-season, so we can just hope she'll get her jumps back in time.

Getting a coach in Japan might be quite difficult, as most of them have their hands quite full. A few years ago Mao was in a similar situation - she got help from the local coaches (Machida, Nagakubo) but IIRC it took a plea from Mao's mum for Sato to agree to coach her full time, as he was worried that his age and health might not allow him to properly take care of one more elite skater.
    Getting a coach to relocate to Japan wpuld be even more difficult, for obvious reasons.
    Training outside of Japan would be quite challenging for Miki, as I assume her family is helping her take care of Himawari...

9. rosewood

rosewood Whoa! Samurai battles!

bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Akira Andrea

Akira Andrea Well-Known Member

11. lala

lala Well-Known Member

12. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

Thanks for the link. She looks great - when exactly did she give birth?! :eek: :respec:

Interesting choice of music too...

13. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I think she looks amazing for having giving birth not so long ago, but her posture is still weak, she telegraphed the lutz, and the wrap is bad.

14. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

When you can land triples a few months after giving birth, who cares about 4 out of 5 PCS components anyway. :p

15. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

She got the components. Who needs transitions, when you can land triples?

16. Akira Andrea

17. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

That was a great 1st effort. If I were Akiko or Kanako, I'd be quite concerned, given how Miki is skating, and that she is a 2-time world champ with an army of sponsors.

18. MissJD

MissJD Active Member

Thanks so much for the explanation! It makes more sense to me now! :)

19. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Um yeah. Dude she gave birth 5 months ago and looks in top condition physically and can pull out a 3lz-2lo combo (if imperfect) and a +2 GOE 3lo in competition. The spins weren't there yet but that's easier to work on and worth less points anyways. I think Suzuki is especially vulnerable because she's even older than Miki, was OTP at Nationals last season, and can be hit-and-miss with her jumps. Kanako is young and so consistent with her jumps even though the technique is fug and she sometimes URs, that I tend to think she is safe. That 3rd spot though, I think Miki could definitely take it. That was quite a strong skate and score for the first competition of her comeback, after giving birth no less. This season will be crazy intense to watch for the Japanese men and ladies gunning for the Olympic spots!

20. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

I give Miki a lot of credit for coming back and looking this good! It's amazing that she looks like this having just given birth only 5 months ago. I really like this short program for her! I can see that she has worked on making her skating appear lighter and more elegant. The music works, the costume works, she looks beautiful, and is in terrific shape. This is exciting to see! GO MIKI! :cheer2:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  21. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

That was amazing. It is great to see Miki de-Morozoved. I only worry that the pressure on her will quadrupled now that she looks like a contender. Her story is just too amazing for the Japanese media to pass up.

TANbKA reported that fans threw sunflowers on the ice. :)

22. Akira Andrea

23. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

24. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

I thought Miki looked fantastic in her SP for both this stage of the season and considering that she's coming back after a long absence. Her lutz was huge, her steps looked good and I thought she looked very calm on the ice. The spins were a bit slow but she can improve on those as the season progresses. She also looks stunning, and her SP dress is gorgeous. :swoon:

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  25. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

I've always held a soft spot for Miki since I first saw her skate during an exhibition at NHK (where she landed a 4S and 3Lz+3Lo).

Nearly a decade later, she's proven to be a great competitor.

Miki *is* able to hit some lovely positions, it's just years of sloppy choreography from Morozov that she needs to get rid of (and that ugly sit spin position).

I actually think her posture was quite decent here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QnfPlHXdqo

Anyway, she looks great and best of luck to her.

Also, do my eyes deceive me but a Brazilian skater landed a 3Lz combination and Fleur Maxwell went for a 3F?!

26. Akira Andrea

Nebelhorn Trophy 2013

Ladies Free Skating

Result Details
    http://www.isuresults.com/results/nt2013/SEG004.HTM

Judges Details
    http://www.isuresults.com/results/nt2013/NT2013_Ladies_FS_Scores.pdf

Result
    http://www.isuresults.com/results/nt2013/CAT002RS.HTM

"The certificate" from Miki Ando's official facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...90922639.86308.391337110926667&type=1&theater

http://instagram.com/p/eyNQhxl_DM/#

This is an article in "Yomiuri Shimbun" in Japan.
    Translating the excerpt to English from Japanese.

Miki Ando won the second place, saying " I am ashamed of many mistakes in FS". She could get the minimum technical score.
    September 28th, 2013

Miki Ando said:
    I feel that I was able to have a jump recover until this level well.
    I have understood that my physical strength isn't sufficient still.
    Because there was many mistakes in the free skating, I am ashamed of my performance.
    I understand that it was the score which the judges encouraged me. I could find out a lot of problems, too.

The article:
    Miki Ando won the second place, saying " I am ashamed of many mistakes in FS". She could get the minimum technical score.
    http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/sports/news/20130928-OYT1T00198.htm?from=ylist

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  27. Eladola

Eladola Active Member

She's gonna need to find about 30 more points between her 2 skates until Olympics,
    If she wants to be competitive for a medal

28. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Or even to make it out of Nationals.

29. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

I think Nebelhorn was a success for Miki. Miki performed well and got a good result. I also think it was good for Miki to skate against a well performing Elena Radionova because it will keep Miki mindful of the type of skaters that will be at Japanese Nationals and the Olympics.

30. t.mann

t.mann New Member

Ando should be proud of herself.
    Wow, a very talented lady.
    After 5 months from a childbirth, landing 6 triples(SP+LP) and getting total 162 points are never humble results.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013