The tuning of Miki Ando after the maternity leave seems to be going very well.

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Akira Andrea, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Akira Andrea

Akira Andrea Well-Known Member

This is an article in "Yomiuri Shinmbun" In Japan.
    Translating to English from Japanese.

September 12th, 2013

The photo:
    Photography: by Haruka Takahashi
    Miki Ando who made public the practice. (in Yokohama city in 1:42 a.m. in September 12th)
    http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/zoom/20130912-OYT9I00329.htm

In Yokohama city in the early dawn in September 12th, Yoshiko Kobayashi, the general manager of figure skating in Japan Skating Federation inspected the practice of Miki Ando (Shinyokohama Prince Club) who aims at Sochi Olympics, returning to the competition from this autumn for the first time in three seasons.

In the practice for 1 hour 15 minutes, Ando landed the 4 kinds of jumps which contain Lutz which is said to be most difficult among 5 kinds of triple jumps.
    She showed the satisfactory adjustment, such as she had the triple-triple combination-jump also land several times.

Ando has left from the competition for past 2 seasons and gave a childbirth in April this year. She is out of the certified athlete of JSF in this season
    The figure skating division of JSF will return Ando to the certified athlete according to the condition of execution of Kanto championship ( October 11th - the 14th Shin-yokohama ) which is her first match. Then JSF will send her to International Competition before the Japan Nationals.

Kobayashi, the general manager of figure skating division said "I was surprised because her jump has recovered to this level in a few periods after the childbirth. I think that her tuning is going very well ".

Aiming at the return to the competition, Ando was enthusiastic, saying "I must more raise the probability of the triple jump. I would like to practice tightly while sighting at the end of the season".

The article:
    http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/sports/news/20130912-OYT1T00334.htm?from=ylist

The Olympic participation qualifier in Japan Skating Federation is the one who has satisfied a minimum technical point for the Olympic participation which was specified by ISU before the time of the Japan Nationals.

Miki Ando must satisfy the technical minimum point in the international competition before Japan Nationals because she doesn't satisfy the minimum technical point because she has taken a rest for two seasons.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  2. Sedge

Sedge Active Member

Does she have a coach yet?

3. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Thank you for the news, Akira. I have a soft spot for Miki and hope she has a satisfying season, whatever the outcome.

4. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

ITA. Hooray for Miki!

5. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

thanks so much for this article, great news.
    i think the missing jump was the flip, always kinda 'unsure' element of hers.

you could see in the foi performance, that her triple salchow has improved much since her last exhibition, although the axel haven't seemed that promising, but fingers are crossed.

i really hope that miki (with s/s one of my all time favourites) will get her satisfying end to an great career.

and hopefully i will be able to see her live at nrw trophy :D

6. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I think it's great that she's trying to come back but then again I don't like that she's coming back b/c that means she will bump either Kanako or Akiko off of the team (Mao is pretty much a shoo-in for Sochi). Kanako and Akiko have been competing for this last quad and, IMO, have earned their trip to Sochi. I really hope they have stellar performances at nationals this year and get those two spots.

7. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Isn't she temporarily working with yuko monna as her coach, with a permenant coach to be announced?

8. Jeschke

i agree with you, that it will be sad, that one of those 3 has to stay at home and will likely get the worlds spot, but i want you to remember that miki is a world champion in this quad, too.
    the others can ensure their tickets or working towards ensurance during the grand prix series, miki has just that one shot at nationals

9. Akira Andrea

Kanto (Kanto Regional) Championship (one of five block competitions in Japan) which is the first step of preliminary competition of Japan Nationals.
    http://www.jsfresults.com/National/2013-2014/fs_j/block2/index.htm

Date: 11-14 Octover, 2013
    venue: Shiyokohama Skate Center in Yokohama city

The entries of Ladies:
    http://www.jsfresults.com/National/2013-2014/fs_j/block2/data0200.htm

Miki Ando
    Miwako Iwanaga
    Mio Suzuki
    Hikaru Nasuno
    Honoka Kawanishil
    Yuka Touyama

next step:
    Higashi Nihon (or Eastern Section of Japan) Championship (one of two area competitions in Japan) which is the second step of preliminary competition of Japan Nationals.

Date: 1-4 November, 2013
    Venue: Gunma prefecture General Sports Center Ice Arena

10. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

So have I. :)

Many thanks, Akira.

11. JJH

JJH Well-Known Member

Thank you, Akira. This is encouraging news. I hope Miki has a great season.

12. ohashibiles

ohashibiles Member

What makes you think she will even make the team. I like Miki but I think her making the team is unlikely at this point.

I do wonder realistically what is a satisfying end to her career for people. I think at this point it cant be any crazy goals (although making the Olympic team, while unlikely, isnt quite to the point of crazy).

13. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

I would not bet against her making the Olympic team even though it seems unlikely now. But if that does not work out, I guess a third World title would be a pretty satisfying wrap. : )

14. Jeschke

i can give you an answer for myself. miki said she wanted to quit competitve skating on a high note with a great competition. so i just wish, she could fulfill her dream, i think maing the olympic team would be quite a satisfying for her, or even a great performance at worlds.

15. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

16. Akira Andrea

Nike Presents: JUST DO IT.
    There is pleasure of the success behind the failure.
    0:06
    Because the feeling that clash against ice by the lack of rotation was ever since childhood, I felt the fear for the first time when I returned to the ice.
    0:20
    I could experience the pleasure once again when I could succeed the jump.
    0:31
    I came across the skates at the time of 9 years old and got a big dream.
    Sometimes there are time not to be able to find what I should do.
    0:45
    In such a case, I don't be impatient.
    If I enjoy what I can enjoy first and then, if I can draw a dream, I think that it is ideal.

http://nike.jp/justdoit/ando

There is pleasure of the success just behind a failure.

The message from athlete:
    While having fun, I would like to draw on the rink the dream which I got from the figure skating.

In the ISU official competition in 2002, she achieved the spectacular achievement, namely she succeeded in the quad Salchow for the first time in the history of Ladies of the world.
    She won the Worlds champion in 2007 and 2011.
    For her who said that she had never aimed at the 1st place, what kind of existence is a skate really?

Sylvia and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

All the best Miki :)

18. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

That is beautiful footage of Miki. It is a rare commercial that seems actually to reveal the athlete, but in a short space they showed a lot of who she is as a skater. I cant quite make out the meaning of the text but it sounds pretty aurhentic as well.

19. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

I for one wish Miki an amazing journey and I truly hope she feels happy and satisfied with her season. The Nike ad is really artistic. Love it.

O-

20. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Eislauffan has confirmed in the Nebelhorn Trophy thread in Kiss and Cry that Miki Ando will compete in Oberstdorf next week.

21. Jeschke

22. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Good for her. I can't wait to see her in competition.

23. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

24. allezfred

allezfred Mince Pie Depriving Admin Staff Member

I just read an article by Jiji Tsushin (Japanese equivalent of Reuters/AP) about Ando's entry in Nebelhorn and there was an interesting paragraph that said (my translation):

http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20130918-00000004-jij-spo

It seems a bit strange that Ando's entry would be accepted by the German federation if she hadn't been entered by the JSF. :confused:

25. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Especially since the entry form requires the federation's signature.

26. KimGOAT

KimGOAT Active Member

Wow am surprised she is coming back. She is not a medal contender anymore even if she makes it to the Olympics so I wonder what motivates her.

27. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

It doesn't seem like she will be but given her history (2-time world champ) and the fact that she has been known to capitalize on situations where the better skaters falter, I think she has as good a shot as any other Japanese lady other than Mao...probably more than both Kanako and Akiko if we're honest. I don't agree with that (I think Kanako and Akiko are better overall skaters) but Miki is a jumper who can stack points.

If she's back in form she could shake up the standings...

28. Akira Andrea

This is an article in “Yomiuri Shimbun” in Japan.

In September 26th, Miki Ando participates to the Nebelhorn Trophy
    September 18th, 2013.

It became clear on September 17th, Miki Ando (Shinyokohama Prince Club) who aims at Sochi Olympics after the child-birth in April participates to Nabelhorn Trophy which is held in Germany from September26th.

Because Ando has been in a rest after won the championship in 2011 Worlds, the said event becomes the competition of comeback for the first time after three seasons.

Because Ando is being excluded from the certified athlete of JSF in this season, JSF was going to decide whether it sends her to international competition after having inspected her skating in the Kanto Championship on October.

However, according to the person concerned, the invitation from the side of the said competition
    reached to the former champion Ando.

The said event is the official competition of ISU and she can clear one of the conditions for participating to Sochi Olympics if she can get the minimum technical point which is specified by ISU.

The article:
    In September 26th, Miki Ando participates to the Nebelhorn Trophy
    http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/sports/news/20130918-OYT1T00181.htm?from=ylist

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  29. Akira Andrea

This is an article in “Sankei Shimbun” in Japan.

In Germany, the former Worlds champion Miki Ando returns to the competition
    September 18th, 2013.

In September 17th, the German Skating Federation released that the former Worlds champion Miki Ando (25, Yokohama Prince Club) who aims at the Sochi Olympics via the girl birth in April returns to the competition at the Nebelhorn Trophy which is opened in Oberstdorf in Germany from September 26th.
    Ando who rested until last season deviated from the certified athlete whom Japan Skating Federation sends to International Competition but was groping about the possibility to participate with International Skating Union's ( ISU ) invitation frame.
    Ando who aims at Olympic participation of the 3 games continuation must break through the minimum technical point which ISU specified as the condition in International Competition.

The article:
    In Germany, the former Worlds champion Miki Ando returns to the competition
    http://sankei.jp.msn.com/sports/news/130918/oth13091801460000-n1.htm

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  30. Jiro

Jiro Guest

I find it hard to believe that German Federation had the former coming back world champion from a most lucrative market for figure skating on the waiting list. Do they think we're all stupid? :rofl:

Likely scenario: TV Asahi who have exclusive broadcasting rights to Nebelhorn persuaded organizers not to release Miki's name so no other media can have opportunity. Money talks. :bribe: :p