The tuning of Miki Ando after the maternity leave seems to be going very well.

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Akira Andrea, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Akira Andrea

Akira Andrea New Member

This is an article in "Yomiuri Shinmbun" In Japan.
    Translating to English from Japanese.

September 12th, 2013

The photo:
    Photography: by Haruka Takahashi
    Miki Ando who made public the practice. (in Yokohama city in 1:42 a.m. in September 12th)
    http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/zoom/20130912-OYT9I00329.htm

In Yokohama city in the early dawn in September 12th, Yoshiko Kobayashi, the general manager of figure skating in Japan Skating Federation inspected the practice of Miki Ando (Shinyokohama Prince Club) who aims at Sochi Olympics, returning to the competition from this autumn for the first time in three seasons.

In the practice for 1 hour 15 minutes, Ando landed the 4 kinds of jumps which contain Lutz which is said to be most difficult among 5 kinds of triple jumps.
    She showed the satisfactory adjustment, such as she had the triple-triple combination-jump also land several times.

Ando has left from the competition for past 2 seasons and gave a childbirth in April this year. She is out of the certified athlete of JSF in this season
    The figure skating division of JSF will return Ando to the certified athlete according to the condition of execution of Kanto championship ( October 11th - the 14th Shin-yokohama ) which is her first match. Then JSF will send her to International Competition before the Japan Nationals.

Kobayashi, the general manager of figure skating division said "I was surprised because her jump has recovered to this level in a few periods after the childbirth. I think that her tuning is going very well ".

Aiming at the return to the competition, Ando was enthusiastic, saying "I must more raise the probability of the triple jump. I would like to practice tightly while sighting at the end of the season".

The article:
    http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/sports/news/20130912-OYT1T00334.htm?from=ylist

The Olympic participation qualifier in Japan Skating Federation is the one who has satisfied a minimum technical point for the Olympic participation which was specified by ISU before the time of the Japan Nationals.

Miki Ando must satisfy the technical minimum point in the international competition before Japan Nationals because she doesn't satisfy the minimum technical point because she has taken a rest for two seasons.
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  2. Sedge

Sedge Active Member

Does she have a coach yet?
  3. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Thank you for the news, Akira. I have a soft spot for Miki and hope she has a satisfying season, whatever the outcome.
  4. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

ITA. Hooray for Miki!
  5. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

thanks so much for this article, great news.
    i think the missing jump was the flip, always kinda 'unsure' element of hers.

you could see in the foi performance, that her triple salchow has improved much since her last exhibition, although the axel haven't seemed that promising, but fingers are crossed.

i really hope that miki (with s/s one of my all time favourites) will get her satisfying end to an great career.

and hopefully i will be able to see her live at nrw trophy :D
  6. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I think it's great that she's trying to come back but then again I don't like that she's coming back b/c that means she will bump either Kanako or Akiko off of the team (Mao is pretty much a shoo-in for Sochi). Kanako and Akiko have been competing for this last quad and, IMO, have earned their trip to Sochi. I really hope they have stellar performances at nationals this year and get those two spots.
  7. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Isn't she temporarily working with yuko monna as her coach, with a permenant coach to be announced?
  8. Jeschke

i agree with you, that it will be sad, that one of those 3 has to stay at home and will likely get the worlds spot, but i want you to remember that miki is a world champion in this quad, too.
    the others can ensure their tickets or working towards ensurance during the grand prix series, miki has just that one shot at nationals
  9. Akira Andrea

Akira Andrea New Member

Kanto (Kanto Regional) Championship (one of five block competitions in Japan) which is the first step of preliminary competition of Japan Nationals.
    http://www.jsfresults.com/National/2013-2014/fs_j/block2/index.htm

Date: 11-14 Octover, 2013
    venue: Shiyokohama Skate Center in Yokohama city

The entries of Ladies:
    http://www.jsfresults.com/National/2013-2014/fs_j/block2/data0200.htm

Miki Ando
    Miwako Iwanaga
    Mio Suzuki
    Hikaru Nasuno
    Honoka Kawanishil
    Yuka Touyama

next step:
    Higashi Nihon (or Eastern Section of Japan) Championship (one of two area competitions in Japan) which is the second step of preliminary competition of Japan Nationals.

Date: 1-4 November, 2013
    Venue: Gunma prefecture General Sports Center Ice Arena
  10. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

So have I. :)

Many thanks, Akira.
  11. JJH

JJH Well-Known Member

Thank you, Akira. This is encouraging news. I hope Miki has a great season.
  12. ohashibiles

ohashibiles Member

What makes you think she will even make the team. I like Miki but I think her making the team is unlikely at this point.

I do wonder realistically what is a satisfying end to her career for people. I think at this point it cant be any crazy goals (although making the Olympic team, while unlikely, isnt quite to the point of crazy).
  13. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

I would not bet against her making the Olympic team even though it seems unlikely now. But if that does not work out, I guess a third World title would be a pretty satisfying wrap. : )
  14. Jeschke

i can give you an answer for myself. miki said she wanted to quit competitve skating on a high note with a great competition. so i just wish, she could fulfill her dream, i think maing the olympic team would be quite a satisfying for her, or even a great performance at worlds.
  15. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

16. Akira Andrea

Akira Andrea New Member

Nike Presents: JUST DO IT.
    There is pleasure of the success behind the failure.
    0:06
    Because the feeling that clash against ice by the lack of rotation was ever since childhood, I felt the fear for the first time when I returned to the ice.
    0:20
    I could experience the pleasure once again when I could succeed the jump.
    0:31
    I came across the skates at the time of 9 years old and got a big dream.
    Sometimes there are time not to be able to find what I should do.
    0:45
    In such a case, I don't be impatient.
    If I enjoy what I can enjoy first and then, if I can draw a dream, I think that it is ideal.

http://nike.jp/justdoit/ando

There is pleasure of the success just behind a failure.

The message from athlete:
    While having fun, I would like to draw on the rink the dream which I got from the figure skating.

In the ISU official competition in 2002, she achieved the spectacular achievement, namely she succeeded in the quad Salchow for the first time in the history of Ladies of the world.
    She won the Worlds champion in 2007 and 2011.
    For her who said that she had never aimed at the 1st place, what kind of existence is a skate really?
    Sylvia and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Well-Known Member

All the best Miki :)
  18. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

That is beautiful footage of Miki. It is a rare commercial that seems actually to reveal the athlete, but in a short space they showed a lot of who she is as a skater. I cant quite make out the meaning of the text but it sounds pretty aurhentic as well.
  19. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

I for one wish Miki an amazing journey and I truly hope she feels happy and satisfied with her season. The Nike ad is really artistic. Love it.

O-
  20. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Eislauffan has confirmed in the Nebelhorn Trophy thread in Kiss and Cry that Miki Ando will compete in Oberstdorf next week.
  21. Jeschke

22. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Good for her. I can't wait to see her in competition.
  23. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

24. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

I just read an article by Jiji Tsushin (Japanese equivalent of Reuters/AP) about Ando's entry in Nebelhorn and there was an interesting paragraph that said (my translation):

http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20130918-00000004-jij-spo

It seems a bit strange that Ando's entry would be accepted by the German federation if she hadn't been entered by the JSF. :confused:
  25. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Especially since the entry form requires the federation's signature.
  26. KimGOAT

KimGOAT Active Member

Wow am surprised she is coming back. She is not a medal contender anymore even if she makes it to the Olympics so I wonder what motivates her.
  27. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

It doesn't seem like she will be but given her history (2-time world champ) and the fact that she has been known to capitalize on situations where the better skaters falter, I think she has as good a shot as any other Japanese lady other than Mao...probably more than both Kanako and Akiko if we're honest. I don't agree with that (I think Kanako and Akiko are better overall skaters) but Miki is a jumper who can stack points.

If she's back in form she could shake up the standings...
  28. Akira Andrea

Akira Andrea New Member

This is an article in “Yomiuri Shimbun” in Japan.

In September 26th, Miki Ando participates to the Nebelhorn Trophy
    September 18th, 2013.

It became clear on September 17th, Miki Ando (Shinyokohama Prince Club) who aims at Sochi Olympics after the child-birth in April participates to Nabelhorn Trophy which is held in Germany from September26th.

Because Ando has been in a rest after won the championship in 2011 Worlds, the said event becomes the competition of comeback for the first time after three seasons.

Because Ando is being excluded from the certified athlete of JSF in this season, JSF was going to decide whether it sends her to international competition after having inspected her skating in the Kanto Championship on October.

However, according to the person concerned, the invitation from the side of the said competition
    reached to the former champion Ando.

The said event is the official competition of ISU and she can clear one of the conditions for participating to Sochi Olympics if she can get the minimum technical point which is specified by ISU.

The article:
    In September 26th, Miki Ando participates to the Nebelhorn Trophy
    http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/sports/news/20130918-OYT1T00181.htm?from=ylist
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  29. Akira Andrea

Akira Andrea New Member

This is an article in “Sankei Shimbun” in Japan.

In Germany, the former Worlds champion Miki Ando returns to the competition
    September 18th, 2013.

In September 17th, the German Skating Federation released that the former Worlds champion Miki Ando (25, Yokohama Prince Club) who aims at the Sochi Olympics via the girl birth in April returns to the competition at the Nebelhorn Trophy which is opened in Oberstdorf in Germany from September 26th.
    Ando who rested until last season deviated from the certified athlete whom Japan Skating Federation sends to International Competition but was groping about the possibility to participate with International Skating Union's ( ISU ) invitation frame.
    Ando who aims at Olympic participation of the 3 games continuation must break through the minimum technical point which ISU specified as the condition in International Competition.

The article:
    In Germany, the former Worlds champion Miki Ando returns to the competition
    http://sankei.jp.msn.com/sports/news/130918/oth13091801460000-n1.htm
  30. Jiro

Jiro Guest

I find it hard to believe that German Federation had the former coming back world champion from a most lucrative market for figure skating on the waiting list. Do they think we're all stupid? :rofl:

Likely scenario: TV Asahi who have exclusive broadcasting rights to Nebelhorn persuaded organizers not to release Miki's name so no other media can have opportunity. Money talks. :bribe: :p
  31. rosewood

The invitation to Nebelhorn is a kind of mystery. The article of IN says German Skating Federation maintained an unofficial substitute list. What the " unofficial substitute list" is ? :confused:
    http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2013/09/17/60843116
    ...and can someone please explain why Finland earned 2 ladies spots? Also Finland and Israel have 2 men spots each. Korpi was inveted by ISU like Miki?...but then men....how come?
  32. Akira Andrea

Akira Andrea New Member

This is an article in "Nihon Keizai Shimbun" in Japan.

As for the comeback of Ando, Japan Skating Federation released, too.
    September 18th, 2013

In September 18th, Japan Skating Federation released formally that the former Worlds champion Miki Ando (25, Shinyokohama Prince Club) who aims at Sochi Olympics via the girl birth in April returns to the competition at Nebelhorn Trophy which is opened in Obestdorf in Germany from September 26th.

Ando deviates from the certified athlete whom JSF sends to International Competition.
    According to the said federation, the invitation from the German Skating Federation reached to Ando and she showed the intention of the participation.
    〔By Kyodo Press 〕

The article:
    As for the comeback of Ando, Japan Skating Federation released, too
    http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXNSSXKD0126_Y3A910C1000000/
  33. Akira Andrea

Akira Andrea New Member

This is an article in Asahi Shimbun" in Japan.

Miki Ando returns to the competition at Nebelhorn Trophy in Germany.
    September 18th, 2013

In September 18th, Japan Skating Federation announced that Miki Ando (25, Shinyokohama Prince Club) who won the championship in Worlds twice participates to Nebelhorn Trophy which opened in Germany in September 26th.
    For Ando who gave girl-birth in April, it becomes the comeback to the competition for the first time after three seasons since the Worlds in October, 2011 when she won the championship.
    Ando who deviated from the certified athlete this season has been scheduled to return with Kanto championship on first in October.
    The Japanese Skating Federation has supposed that it investigates her condition and that it reviews 'the returning to the certified athlete and the sending to International Competition' but it hastened Ando's International Competition participation by receiving the invitation from the side of the event.
    The Nebelhorn Trophy is an International Skating Union ( ISU ) authorization event.
    To get the entry qualification of Sochi Olympics, Ando must get the minimum technical point which ISU specified by the authorization.

The article:
    Miki Ando returns to the competition at Nebelhorn Trophy in Germany.
    http://www.asahi.com/sports/update/0918/TKY201309180050.html
  34. Akira Andrea

Akira Andrea New Member

This is an article in "Miki Ando's official face book".

Miki Ando decided that she participates as invitation player to Nebelhorn Trophy (9/25-9/28, Oberstdorf) which is held in Germany.
    September 18th, 2013

By Miki Ando official.
    In September 13th, she received a contact as for the invitation from Japan Skating Federation.
    She seems to have thought of declining, too, because she has been tuning-up for the important domestic competition.
    However, she seems to have decided to participate, feeling that she has no choice but to go with the feelings of gratitude, because the invitation letter from the chairman Dieter Hillebrand of the German Skating Federation was spelled by the word which filled consideration as anyone is moved.

Ando is saying, "Although I have anxiety, too, as for the return to the competition, I would like to do my best because it is the first step to Sochi Olympics". Everybody, please cheer her.

The article:
    Miki Ando decided that she participates as invitation player to Nebelhorn Trophy (9/25-9/28, Oberstdorf) which is held in Germany.
    https://www.facebook.com/miki.ando.official/posts/577473498979693
  35. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Thanks for all the translations, Akira Andrea! :)

Did you see this explanation that was posted in the Nebelhorn Thread in Kiss and Cry? http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...ior-B-comp-)&p=3995562&viewfull=1#post3995562
  36. rosewood

Thanks, Sylvia. I actually skipped some pages of that thread so I didn't notice his post. Also thanks a lot for the inquiry, Eislauffan! That helps me a lot.:)

So Finland historically has 2 spots and their federation sent Korpi and Turkkira. Japan has at least one spot (maybe 2 historically) but JSF didn't send Miki because her test skate has not been done. Then Korpi withdrew and German Federation invited Miki at their expense to fulfill the field, even though she is not in JSF's international pool ("designated athletes"). JSF accepted the invitation because Miki reportedly wanted to participate in the competition, though they were so confused by the invitation. OK That's understandable.

Now Miki really wants to come back and German Federation really loves her.:bloc:
  37. Akira Andrea

Akira Andrea New Member

This is an article in “Sports Hochi” in Japan.

Miki affirmed to return in September 26th, saying “It is my first step to Sochi”.
    September 19th, 2013

By September 18th, it became clear that the former Worlds champion Miki Ando (25, Shinyokohama Prince Club) who gave girl-birth in April returns to the competition at Nebelhorn Trophy which is opened in Oberstdorf, Germany from September 26th. Challenging the return match after an interval of 3 seasons since 2011 Worlds where she won her second champion, she begins to step to the Sochi Olympics of goal.

In September 17th, the German Skating Federation who hosts the event announced the participation of Ando. In September 18th, the Japan Skating Federation revealed that the formal entry notice had reached from the German Skating Federation. Although Ando is deviating from the certified athlete of JSF who becomes the object who JSF sends International Competition, it seems that the invitation letter from German Skating Federation reached. Within JSF, there were pros and cons on whether to admit participation, but it was admitted because Ando showed the intention of the participation.

At first, it was the flow which participates in International Competition after returning to the certified athlete after returning with Kanto championship (October 12th-14th, Shin-yokohama Skate Center) which combines the 1st preliminary competition of the Japan Nationals in December. For participating to Olympics, she must break through the minimum technical point which ISU specified in International Competition. If acquiring a minimum technical point by this event which ISU authorized, she gets to clear one condition for the Sochi representative already.

Ando showed the readiness to face the return match which was accelerated about 2 weeks on "the face book" of the alternating current site, saying, "As for the return to the event, I has anxiety, too, but I would like to do my best because this is my first step to Sochi".

The road to the Sochi as for Ando:
    The Ladies of Japan have three spots for the Sochi.
    First, winning within 7th place with Kanto Championship of the preliminary competition of Japan Nationals, and winning within 6th place with the Eastern Japan Championship (November 1st-4th, Gunma General Sports Center), she must get the qualification to participate to Japan Nationals (December 21st-23rd, Saitama Super Arena) of the Sochi Olympics representative selection meeting.
    Her Olympics of the 3 games continuation is fixed if clearing the minimum technical point which ISU specified by the Japan Nationals and winning the championship in the Japan Nationals.
    Until now as for Miki Ando

At April-May, 2011:
    She won her second championship in Worlds (Moscow) after an interval of 4 years.
    After the said event, she canceled a teacher-pupil relationship with Morozov coach.
    At June:
    She announced that she is absent in the GP series which is opened from October.
    At November:
    She announced that she takes a full rest in 2011/2012 season.
    At October, 2012:
    She announced that she takes a rest in 2012/2013 season, too, because of coach absence and she expressed the intention to retire from the eligible after 2013/2014 season.
    On the same time, she found the Pregnancy.
    At April, 2013:
    She gave birth of a girl.
    At July:
    She participated to an ice show in Tokyo Metropolitan area after an interval of 9 months.
    At June:
    On TV news program in the evening of June 1st, she announced that she gave a girl birth.
    At August:
    She interviewed in a press conference at the first time after having announced the child-birth.
    At September:
    JSF announced that she returns to the competition at Nebelhorn Trophy after an interval of three seasons.

The article:
    Miki affirmed to return in September 26th, saying “It is my first step to Sochi”.
    http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20130918-00000220-sph-spo
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  38. Akira Andrea

Akira Andrea New Member

This is an article in "Nikkan Sports " in Japan.

Miki Ando showed the short program in this season at the first time.
    September 21st, 2013

The photo:
    photography: by Akemi Taemi
    Ando who made the jump succeed at an ice show.
    http://www.nikkansports.com/sports/news/photonews_nsInc_f-sp-tp0-20130921-1193067.html

The former worlds champion Miki Ando (25, Shinyokohama Prince Club) who returns to the competition after an interval in 3 seasons passing through the child-birth in April showed the short program for this season.

In the ice show "Prince Ice World" which was held in Ibaraki Prefecture in September 21st as the charity event for supporting the revival of the eastern Japan large earthquake disaster, she participated as guest skater and charmed the audience who thronged by the costume which colored the gold color.

The music name was made undisclosed to the competition with the hope of the very person, but she challenged 3 jumps, too. She said, "I drew my skating life so far in the heart in my own way".

The triple Lutz of the beginning became single, but as for the following triple Salchow and double Axel, she have let it succeed and bathed the big clapping.
    She said "I will raise the probability from now on, too, by the practice. I can advance on the next step because I could jump in front of the audience".

The article :
    Miki Ando showed the short program in this season at the first time.
    http://www.nikkansports.com/sports/news/f-sp-tp0-20130921-1193067.html
  39. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

In the press conference after the show, she asked the media not to reveal the name of her short programme music for "contractual reasons". Which kind of makes you wonder why she chose to skate it at all in public. :confused:

It's "My Way". :p
  40. rosewood

:lol: Yeah, people tweeted after seeing her SP in the show.

I heard her FS is to "Fire Bird". It's still a rumor, though.

As for the contracts, this article gives us a tip:
    http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2013/09/22/kiji/K20130922006663360.html

P.S.
    Supposedly her friend had some contract with her to post a picture of Miki in the costume of her SP "My Way". j/k
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2013