The TONY Awards!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Fergus, Jun 13, 2010.

1. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

If anyone saw Every Little Step, that amazing doco on A Chorus Line, there were plenty of talented singers featured in it.

2. colinmom71

colinmom71 Well-Known Member

Ah, thanks! I wasn't sure of her age, but she definitely debuted at the very early part of the last 10 year period I'd mentioned. I thought she was closer to 30 but I didn't have time to look it up while I was posting earlier.

She's gotten cast for almost every other lead female role since "Millie" that frankly I'm tired of hearing her name on the Tonys now. So my guess is this guarantees Foster gets cast in "Funny Girl"! :EVILLE: :rolleyes:

3. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

How strange. I just this second finished watching this via my Netflix Instant queue. :lol: It was amazing. It showed fabulous footage of the original A Chorus Line and how it came into being, but as you say, focused mainly on auditions for the 2006 revival. So many great auditions, but so few parts. Tyce Diorio was a finalist for the part of Mike (I Can Do That). He came across as a major arrogant ass, and didn't get the part. :p

But holy cow, there are so many incredible singers and dancers out there waiting for their chance. Broadway has a lot to choose from.

4. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

I was rather incredibly disappointed with the 2006 revival of A Chorus Line. It's one of my favorite shows and someone must have liked it since it played for nearly two years. But Charlotte d'Amboise as Cassie deeply underwhelmed me. And I know she has a long broadway resume. Part of the problem might have been that she felt far too old to me.

5. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Yeah, you're right. I just think Salonga has an amazing voice, and her first name is Lea. SO I picked another Lea :). I understand what you mean when you say Salonga projects, rather than belts. Have you seen the 10th Anniversary Dream Cast, PBS telecast of Les Miserables? Salonga is cast as Eponine - when she sings On My Own it's goose bumps every time I watch it. She does power up at the end, but it doesn't have the belt strain, it sounds effortless. Judy Kuhn (Cosette) and Ruthie Henshall (Fantine) are also amazing in that cast.

Speaking of Les Mis, I just read that there is going to be a 25th Anniversary tour and something about Nick Jonas? anyone else heard anything? Who would Jonas play? Marius?

6. Rhianna

Rhianna ...Her?

Marius is what I've heard.

7. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Good Lord. In an ideal world, he wouldn't play *anyone*, in any musical, ever. This is stunt casting getting way out of control. Hey! Maybe Miley Cyrus can be the love interest!!

8. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

I heard that about d'Amboise. I was underwhelmed with the LA touring production I saw. Ironically, Cassie was played by Nikki Snelson, who is shown in Every Little Step not getting the role of Val. It's funny because I felt really sorry for in the movie, but did not like her Cassie at all.

But, then again, I've never been a big fan of Cassie. I think it's because I love the character of Sheila in the show, and always consider her and Cassie to be direct competitors for a spot.

9. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

How can you not love Donna McKechnie though?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rVGHyFMZIM

Of course, you can't hate the great Kelly Bishop (who was awesome on Gilmore Girls, but was very impressive in a small role in a movie called An Unmarried Woman).

ETA: I changed the link. The first one was very fuzzy.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  10. Theatregirl1122

I think I'm going to be violently ill.

11. cruisin

PLEASE NO! If Miley Cyrus is cast I will spit! Les Mis is one of my absolute favorites, if they ruin it for me :mad:!

As will I.

I will be a joke. Can you imagine playing the 10th anniversary "Dream Cast" after or before whatever Jonas Brother craptastic 25th version they do? It will be ridiculous.

12. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

deleted

13. colinmom71

colinmom71 Well-Known Member

Yep. I have the 10th Anniversary Dream Cast on DVD. Also got to see Salonga and Henshall the closing weekend of "Miss Saigon" on Broadway. Both were exceptional and frankly Salonga was able to project so well without belting, I dare to say she could have gone without the headset microphone since I kept hearing her over it anyway (we lucked into good seats)...

As for a Jonas in "Les Mis", I'll be stepping out to buy a voodoo doll to prevent that from happening. I hate stunt casting! :angryfire

14. cruisin

I am soooooo jealous! I never saw "Miss Saigon".

:lol: Do you need some extra pins?

15. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

16. BelleBway

BelleBway a monkey stole my title

Well, to be fair, Nick Jonas has already played Gavroche on Broadway before he was famous... (he was also in Annie Get Your Gun as Little Jake and Beauty and the Beast as Chip) So he actually has legitimate theatre roots and I think he deserves a chance to show what he can do as Marius before condemning his casting. ;) I bet there have been worse actors in the role.

Disclaimer: I know very little about the Jonas brothers, other than that they are on a Disney show that my nieces don't like. :lol:

17. Rhianna

Rhianna ...Her?

I agree when it comes to Jonas, he actually did get his start on broadway so I'm willing to see how this goes.

18. Theatregirl1122

Psh, I'm not. Once you start singing about purity rings, you lose all of your Broadway street cred.

19. cruisin

Overedge, thanks for the link. I guess it's confirmed. I just don't see or hear Jonas as Marius. Gavroche is a child in the play, with a higher voice, that is not expected to be powerful and solid. Marius is a whole other role, with duets and duets + 1. I just don't think he has the voice for it. In the article they say it's a star studded cast - of what? Teen kings and queens? The last star studded cast was musical theater greats, probably not to be improved apon. Maybe that's why they're doing this, they can't make it better, so they're appealing to a different generation. Are there plans to bring it back to B'way? To tape it? Anyone know?

If Jonas wants to do B'way, I could see him in "Jersey Boys" more. He has the look and, after all, he is from "Jersey" :D. Though I don't know if he can do Frankie Valli's falsetto.

20. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Good point. I don't know much about them either, though, so maybe that's why I can react with something other than fear and loathing. :lol:

21. Rukia

Rukia Active Member

22. cruisin