The TONY Awards!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Fergus, Jun 13, 2010.

1. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Well, You Can't Stop the Beat was derivative from the pop sounds of the late 50s and early 60s, and if Memphis is a musical about music from that time period as well, of course there will be similarities.

Anyway, I really do hope that next season will be much better in terms of original content.

2. talldrink

talldrink New Member

I thought Sean's line, after kissing Kristen Chenoweth, "I know what your'e thinking, she's too SHORT for me", was hilarious, ROFL!!!

3. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Lea Michelle would forever suffer comparisions to Barbra.
    I can't imagine her in the role of Fanny Brice.

4. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Bernadette Peters in that role? I don't want to get lynched, but isn't she a little old for it? I mean better voice than Zeta-Jones, but...?

Yes he did! He is soooooooo talented. Has anyone heard him play the piano? I so want to see him with KC in Promises, Promises.

5. soxxy

soxxy Guest

Well, Bernadette is 62 and CZJ is 40. Desiree has a daughter, about 13.

6. cruisin

Yeah, that's what I mean. 62 is a little old for having a 13 year old.

7. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

:) Yank :) One of my former castmates when I did show (not shows... show) in NYC is in that. He is the first of our cast to *hopefully* get to Broadway. Another is an international fashion model and another is a regular on some show on cable. And here I am... temping for two more weeks, then S.O.L.:rofl:

8. cruisin

I saw Fela in April. It was very good, but kind of confusing. It was sometimes hard to understand the dialog, because of a heavy accent. It's sort of a running autobiographical diolog. Fela is on stage throughout the play and basically tells his life story while the history, political activism, music, and dance happen around, with, through him. This might help, if you do go to see it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fela_Kuti

9. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

I have to say the Tonys were absolutely god-awful last night. All the "new" musicals looked utterly tragic. I was stunned Catherine Zeta-Jones won best actress after that hideous rendition of "Send in the Clowns.: :scream: Send in the Vocal Coach would have been more appropriate.

Highlight of the program was Viola Davis' speech and Sean Hayes coming out dressed as Billy Elliott, which was just so frong but hilarious!

10. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I agree Fela! was confusing and it definitely wasn't a perfect musical, but it felt new and fresh to me. I didn't see Memphis, but it looks so derivative and blah. The Tony Awards always seem to go with the safe/money-making choice. I guess I can't blame them since the financial situation on Broadway is so bad, but it's getting tiresome. I mean In The Heights over Passing Strange, Billy Elliot over Next to Normal, and now Memphis over Fela!. I mean, Passing Strange, Next to Normal, and Fela! weren't perfect shows, but they were trying to do something new and I thought with Passing Strange they definitely succeeded. I didn't see Next to Normal, but I think Fela! definitely would have been a more interesting winner.

11. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

At least Next to Normal got the Pulitzer. :) I got to see it and really liked it. It had its flaws, but overall it was a strong show with a great score.

12. cruisin

I missed that. Can't find a youtube clip :(.

13. VIETgrlTerifa

Does "interesting" and "new" always equal "better" though?

I'm not saying I disagree with you, but at the same time, I think people get stuck in thinking that "different" automatically equals higher quality. That said, I've found that I always had a show that I preferred over the Best Musical winner. Same for the Best Picture winner at the Oscars.

14. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

Maybe she and Stritch will get out the ostrich feather fans and sing "Sisters". ;)

15. soxxy

soxxy Guest

Bernadette has an ageless quality. The voice, the hair, report of some "face work" last night.... (I thought she didn't look her very best.)

16. cruisin

I love that! :lol: When I was little, my BF and I used to sing that. Of course, we didn't quite get the "between me and my man" part of it ;lol:.

17. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

It's not a comparison I'd want to be subject to.

18. cruisin

Neither would I

(especially since I don't think Lea did such a great job on "People")

19. soxxy

soxxy Guest

20. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Oy, when did she do this?

21. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

I agree and I would not want to subject many other actors to that comparison as well. But I think there are probably other actors that would be able to pull it off more convincingly than Lea. I like Lea's voice when she's singing something soft and gentle, but I don't think she has really a classic, big Broadway belt.

Barbra is definitely in a class by herself, but I enjoy Caroline O' Connor's version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_OlMks9hCs&feature=related. I think singers need a bit of gruff to their voice to make this song work.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  22. cruisin

Oy back, I had a brain fart! :lol: I meant "Don't Rain on My Parade":duh:. I was thinking iconic Barbra and somehow "People" just flew out of my fingers! Sorry, I feel so silly :shuffle:

23. cruisin

I agree. I think she has a very powerful voice, but when she belts, she loses something.

Maybe Lea Solonga could give Barbra tunes a run for their money.

24. cem

cem New Member

Oops you are correct. Gwyneth Oscat should've went to Cate and Helen Hunt's should've gone to Dench.

25. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

I thought Just Jack and his sidekick, Cheno, did a great job hosting last night. Her 'acceptance speech' was friggin' hilarious. Bebe and Nathan were terrific as well.

My favourite WTF moment was CZJ winning for A Little Night Music.

26. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

It's ok cruisin, we're old remember :)? I do it all the time...

27. VIETgrlTerifa

Ok...even though the Tony Awards snippet of Sherie Rene Scott's version of "Up the Ladder to the Roof" didn't impress me last night, I had that song stuck in my head all day and ended up looking up information for Everyday Rapture. Apparently, it got excellent reviews in New York and sounds like a pretty interested semi-bio about her life growing up as a Mennonite and running away to New York to become an actress. I ended up buying the song on itunes.

Her rendition of it is better than The Supremes' version, IMO. But then I'm sure the lead singer (not Diana Ross) was forced to hold back to give the more poppy version that Barry Gordon wanted for Motown.

28. toepick

toepick Member

Everyday Rapture was actually one of the shows I enjoyed the most this season though I saw it at Second Stage before it transferred to Broadway.

29. colinmom71

colinmom71 Active Member

Not too sure about that. Salonga has never been fond of "belting it out", though she's good at projecting her voice out into the audience where emphasis is needed. She's always seemed to prefer a softer, more naturalistic singing style as opposed to the stylized belting techniques that Streisand or Lupone would use. But then Salonga is also one of those rare singers who actually sounds better in live performance than on her recorded albums...

But either way, at 39, Salonga is likely too old for a role like Funny Girl. It's going to be difficult to cast. There hasn't really been any new young female ingenue Broadway starlets with great pipes to come along over the last 10 years now except for Sutton Foster and Lea Michele. And as has been discussed, I'm pretty sure Michele's calendar is booked solid for the next couple of years.

As for comparisons to Streisand, it's going to happen to anyone who attempts the role no matter how good an actress and singer they may be.

30. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

Sutton Foster is 35 ... pushing it for "young ingenue" :)