The Tiny House Movement

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by modern_muslimah, Aug 19, 2010.

1. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

The Tiny House Movement

I thought this story was very interesting. It looks at Dee Williams, a woman who lives in a house that is 84 square feet.

There's a short video in the link that mostly focuses on Williams but also features interviews with other people building tiny houses. There's also a slideshow with pictures of various small homes. I actually like a lot of the homes shown in the report. I think they're quite economical, environmental and yet also stylish. It also shows you don't need an abundance of space to live comfortably.

2. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

You do, however, need a friend nearby with a shower. Dee's tiny house has no plumbing.

These look a lot like the camp houses on Jones Beach and Martha's Vineyard, only on wheels.

3. Capella

Capella Guest

I would totally do this. Well, assuming I had high-speed internet. That would be a deal-breaker.

4. modern_muslimah

Although Dee's house has no plumbing, other tiny houses do. I have to admit that I would need plumbing in whatever house I had. I prefer to take showers in my own house.

Same here! :lol:

5. Nan

Nan Just me

6. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

One word: claustrophobia! If these are cozy to some, fine. I would die. I don't need huge amounts of space, just more than that. I freak out in elevators and on airplanes (only to myself, but it's freakish nevertheless.)

7. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

That is pretty amazing. In the future, I want to have a very simple life and a little house like that would be enough for me.

8. immoimeme

immoimeme my posts r modded

I would lurve to have a tiny house. Unfortunately most of them do not come with tiny price tags.

I highly recommend http://tinyhouseblog.com/

9. modern_muslimah

Thanks! Williams said her house cost $10,000 but she doesn't have plumbing. Plus, she powers her house to solar energy so I imagine that must cost more too.

Some of those houses cost about $40,000-$50,000 which was surprising to me, especially considering that you could get a bigger house for the same price (it might not be in the best neighborhood but it would be bigger).

10. immoimeme

immoimeme my posts r modded

Well, obviously if you build a tiny house yourself it will cost you less. But I decided I am too old to do that. SIGH.

Here's a guy building his tiny FREE house if you want to read about it

http://www.tinyfreehouse.com/

11. Gazpacho

Gazpacho Well-Known Member

I think New Yorker's have been inadvertently promoting this movement for a looooong time :p

12. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Here's an article some might find interesting:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/08/business/08consume.html?_r=1&src=me&ref=business

The discussion is around not so much tiny houses (I've been seeing articles about them for years now), but paring down one's life - less things, less expenses, more time with loved ones.

It's interesting in that in the past few years, media/pundits/governments have been anxious to tell us that the recession is over and the economy is back on track etc etc. But the fact is, behaviours have changed - and the article has a few stats to support that notion.

13. modern_muslimah

True. I don't think I could build one either. Well, I probably could if I learned but I have never been good with building stuff (my husband and I had a tough time putting together a simple shoe rack that a friend was able to put together in five minutes :lol:).

Thanks!

14. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Depends on where you live. Here in LA, that's about 10% of the price of a real house. The cheapest places I've seen, a tiny house would still be less than 50% of a condo with similar specs. So my bf and I drooling after tiny houses is very understandable. :lol:

It'd be smaller sure, but the great part about it is if a forest fire is bearing down on you, you could hook up your tiny house to a truck (if it's one of those hitchable ones) and drive away. :cheer:

immoimeme and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Two of us are living in about 750 square feet (and have a patio in addition to that). I always thought that this space was tiny.

16. Jodi

Jodi Caulkhead forever

I'm reminded of this house, which makes me :swoon:.

But if I had a house like that I'd need another one for my craft supplies :shuffle: I envy people with clutterless hobbies :p

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  17. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Oh my gosh! That's like a hobbit house. . .

I LOVE the idea of a small(er) house, but the clutter, the clutter, the clutter. If it were just me, maybe. But i have two major clutter collectors in my house: dh, and dd. Plus two large dogs. Cannot persuade them to get rid of much, although we've gotten rid of *some* stuff.

18. Japanfan

I love that hobbit house. . .and it doesn't look as tiny as the 'tiny houses'.

I would think that those tiny houses must be sort of like camper vans, designed with things on top of each other. For example, the back seat folds out into a bed and has drawers underneath it, but you can't get to the drawers unless the bed is folded back. And the sink or stove is on top of the fridge. There was virtually no space for any type of clutter - nowhere even to put a coffee cup or a few dishes down to be washed later.

I can't remember how it worked exactly but it was an extremely compressed and contained system. I would find it annoying to have to constantly being moving this and putting away that just to accomplish daily tasks. Annoying for camping, let alone permanent living.

19. jlai

jlai Title-less

I think that's the whole point.

I won't recommend this to claustrophobic folks but I like simple living and really wouldn't mind living in a smaller place though perhaps not a tumbletree house (coz I would need to find a lot to put that in and secure it or sth). If I were to live on my own, I suspect 400-foot will do--you know, bathroom, small bedroom and living area and a kitchen. Very energy efficient.

I've always thought the bad thing about 1-2 people living in big houses is the need to heat/cool the whole house (or at least the whole floor) just to keep you comfortable. To me it's really a big waste of energy.

20. Japanfan

I would think 400 square feet would only allow for a living area, bathroom and small kitchen - your basic bachelor apartment.

21. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Wow that is amazing, inspiring and really interesting. Thanks for posting.

As someone who loves looking at architecture and design (not with any knowledge mind you) and my favourite TV program is Grand Designs, the idea of creating something that is practical and more importantly totally sustainable is fascinating.

I have mentioned before that I am having a place built at the moment (and taking a lot longer than the initial finishing dates). It is two bedrooms and will be just the right size for myself. The slab has been laid and it does look really tiny. But if I could build anything myself, this might be the sort of thing I would look at. I couldn't have something as small as the one in the video, and I would need a bathroom, but it wouldn't be very far off.

Also in Australia we really do have a housing crisis with many properties now unaffordable and people do get caught up in the rental spiral. And so many places that you see on display are enormous with lots of wasted space. Maybe something like this might be the answer or what people should be thinking about.

And the fact that I am currently putting a lot of stuff in storage as I have to move again (and will be living at mums and housesitting until mine is built), these things certainly get me considering about how I could downsize my life.

22. jlai

jlai Title-less

I once had a 400-square foot apartment and it had all the rooms I needed--just more compact.

But then I had to remind myself that I have friends living in that same space with their whole family.

What you're used to as a child really influences what you can live with.

23. iloveemoticons

iloveemoticons Well-Known Member

That's so true. I have to say though, I think tiny houses like this might be kind of a waste of energy too. It seems they have a high "surface area" to volume ratio, so it's not efficient to heat and cool the inside.

I think apartment/condo buildings are probably still the most environmentally friendly and cost effective way to go in terms of efficient heating/cooling, materials usage (sharing of interior walls), plumbing, electrical, etc. I don't think the tiny houses are all that sustainable (even though they look awesome).

24. uyeahu

uyeahu Agitator. Sharpie lover (figuratively speaking).

The Japanese really do micro living RIGHT - some amazing creativity on display in this article. I love the crystal brick, Penguin and Yachiyo houses. The others looked a little like prison cells to me. And I just found this new article today with some great pre-fabs from Dwelle's.

Although I've been looking at tiny houses for several months I'm torn between wanting to go the trailer hitch house route or the 3 story Japanese Penguin house route. I love the idea of being able to just transport my house to a new place whenever I need a change of scenery, but I also love great architecture and plumbing and storage, etc. And realistically how often would you want to move house? Some stackable modular prefabs can't be too far off in the future, can they?

25. Louis

Louis Tinami 2012

I feel "at home" if I have the following:

A three-seater sofa
    A separate chair
    A dining table that can seat four
    A queen or king sized bed in a separate room
    A separate desk
    A dishwasher
    A washer/dryer

I can fit all of the above, fairly comfortably, in a 12 x 15 living room and 12 x 10 bedroom. Allowing for the dishwasher and W/D, I'd need about a 10' x 6' galley kitchen plus a 6' x 6' bathroom, and one 10' x 4' closet assuming good ceiling height.

So 180 + 120 + 60 + 36 + 40 = 436 square feet is what it what it would take for me to feel at home.

We have 760 square feet right now, and it allows for a living room, dining room with a table that seats 6-8, 10' x 10' kitchen (palatial for New York), one real bedroom, one small bedroom/den, one full bathroom, one half bathroom, a coat closet, a broom closet, and a walk-in closet. It helps that our entire apartment has floor-to-ceiling north-facing windows, which make all of the rooms seem deeper than they actually are.

26. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

More photos, Louis! :lol:

27. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

28. Anita18

This is one trend I can get behind! :cheer: Houses really had gotten too big in recent years and the only way to go was down. My parents raised 2 kids perfectly fine in a house less than 2000 sq ft.

In fact, living with my aunt for a summer in her 5000 sq ft house convinced me that big was not good at all, seeing how empty the house still seemed despite her shopaholic tendencies. And the fact they really needed an intercom, and someone to keep track of what they had or didn't have or what was going bad in their also-ginormous fridge...:scream:

29. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

Why must everything be in the extreme in the U.S.?????

Seriously. How about a nice middle ground. Why can't we ever have that. We realize that everyone doesn't need a 3000+ square foot house. This is true. But then we automatically have to jump to living in the smallest possible space or getting a trailer? Really? What about the middle ground?

30. Anita18

Some of us (namely the young childless 20-something hippies ;) ) like to do things ALL THE WAY!

USA! USA! USA! :cheer2:

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.