The thread of the ice dance good old days

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by martyross, Apr 19, 2012.

1. martyross

martyross Active Member

To me, 1992 and 1998 Olympics were almost too amazing to be real.
    Here you can list, post links, gush and discuss about any piece of dance you remember and rewatch.
    personally, I'm ready to learn as much as possible about an era that is one of the most sensational artistic discoveries of my whole life.
    so i hope many of you dance ubers join the thread.
    to start,i would like to post this Tango FD by Usova-Zhulin in 1989
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLeFnVAmnLI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  3. martyross

martyross Active Member

4. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

Wasn't it TAT? Whoever it was, that FD is an absolute masterpiece.

5. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Shanti Rushpaul did.

6. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

7. martyross

martyross Active Member

Thanks. From google, he is (or was) a Bolshoi Ballet choreographer. Also did Romeo and Juliet for Anissina/Peizerat (together with Zazoui).
    So both Arena (Us-Zh choreographer) and Rushpaul came from ballet. Interesting! If anyone has more info on them or other creations of theirs, please post here!
    "Aria" is one of the rare programs that makes you cry without actually knowing why :swoon:

8. casken

casken Well-Known Member

I can tell I'm going to :swoon: this thread.

Except for 94-96 when the ISU made the mistake of restricting everyone to ballroom, the 90s were fabulous for dance. Not just the FDs either, the ODs were pretty great as well. I feel like ice dance started it's slow downward slide with the death of the single rhythm OD in 2000.

You also have a whole decade of fabulous compulsory dances. I was watching G&P's tango CD from the 98 Olympics the other day and thinking how I've watched that one compulsory dance more than any program D&W have done ever. :lol:
    I'm pretty sure Shanti is a she, and what is interesting is that she's only worked with a select group of skaters, but not just top level skaters. She did K&P's Bach FD and A&P's Romeo and Juliet of course, but also did a FD for Candian's Wing and Lowe in 1999 and US team Handra and Sinneck in 2002, which seems pretty random. (I also have Wing and Lowe's FD. I'll upload it if you want to see.)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
    Cherub721 and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Shanti Rushpaul is a 'she'. During the 92 Olympics CBS showed a fluff on her, standing off the ice. The name sounds Indian. Does she have an Indian father?

I agree that the 90's were great for ice dance, but I have to say that about the 1980's also. Who can forget T&D's Bolero (84), K&P's Beatles FD (88), Wilson-McCall's Ragtime FD (88), and even Engi-Toth's Summertime?

If we go beyond the eligible competitions, the pros produced many masterpieces too.

10. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

:lol:

IMO the ice dance good old days were Pakhamova/Gorshov and Moiseeva/Minenkov in the late '70's & T&D and Blumberg & Sieberts in the 1980's, plus K&P's early years on the side.

However, I love U&Z, And Duchesnay's Missing I. After U&Z retired, I became less and less interested for quite a while, until the rise of K&O, quickly losing interest again after they retired.

11. martyross

martyross Active Member

yea, please do!
    so it was the ballroom rule that Zhulin complained about! findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1083/is_n3_v69/ai_16771634/pg_2/
    it kind of resembles the uplifting thing. why does ISU makes such silly, very limiting rules??

12. beabstress

beabstress New Member

Yes, yes, YES! Please upload that FD!

13. Cloudy_Gumdrops

I always loved Handra & Sinek.

My 3rd fave American team after B&A and L&T.

14. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Here. :)

It's interesting. The first half is very similar to the first half of K&P's program in style and choreography, but then the second half is like some quasi River dance program. I guess since they are Canadians and it was the 90s they felt they needed a clappy section. :lol:

I also updated the Handra/Sinek link from Nationals to 4CC as I think that performance was a bit cleaner.

15. sequins

sequins Active Member

:swoon: I pretty much love everything they did but this FD was one of my faves.
    From 98 I also enjoyed P&S 'Oblivion' and A&P 'Romeo & Juliet'. While B&K were my fave team their OD was a struggle all season and 'Riverdance ' just never quite did it for me and they skated it better at Worlds anyway.
    92 I can't speak for as I only became 'obsessed' starting at 93 Worlds in Prague.

ChelleC and (deleted member) like this.
  16. martyross

martyross Active Member

does anyone know if there is a clip of the famous interview where Dean says: "....and suddenly, we found ourselves in this...hole...this huge, big VOID !! We could do anything we wanted to, our only limits were our own imagination !! It's like floating free, it's like being in outer space !!" :D

thank you so much for uploading, casken!
    whose the original Riverdance?

17. martyross

martyross Active Member

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  18. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

The Dean interview was about their "Planets-Venus" pro routine, and it was part of a documentary on them. AFAIR

I liked Handra & Sinek's Samson & Delilah too :)

Not to mention Skate Tape is a fine invention that paid for their training.

19. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

20. wustfan

wustfan Member

21. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

22. PashaFan

PashaFan Active Member

23. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

24. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

It's my favorite FD of them, because Shanti's work is just amazing there. And it's sad they could never deliver it quite right :(

25. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

26. martyross

martyross Active Member

Thank you all for your links! can't wait to watch them when i have some time!

27. zotza

zotza allergic to brainless skaters

My absolute favourite FD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BxsSkL4ooU
    I loved the Euros performance but can't seem to find it anywhere
    For some strange reason,they won a 6.0 in the OD,the blues and then came into the FD in the first place and slipped into 3rd overall...And yes,it was the championship that the Duchesnay's won..

28. sequins

sequins Active Member

29. gk_891

gk_891 Active Member

I once read that Rushpaul also choreographed Grishuk & Platov's 1993 FD (their blues dance).

30. gk_891

gk_891 Active Member

I'm probably in the minority but I absolutely love this FD (Grishuk & Platov at the 1992 Olympics). It's so tightly choreographed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRlNzp_V35A

It was so much more difficult than either the Duchesnays or Usova & Zhulin's programs. I personally would've given them the silver medal, especially since their OD was also a lot more difficult than said couples and Oksana Grishuk could actually do her choctaws (sp?) properly in the blues CD, something that Isabelle Duchesnay or Maia Usova couldn't do.