The Third US Lady

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by lilshorty, Mar 17, 2013.

?

Who will be the third U.S. lady at the Olympics?

1. Alissa Czisny

21 vote(s)
    9.6%
  2. Rachael Flatt

5 vote(s)
    2.3%
  3. Christina Gao

104 vote(s)
    47.5%
  4. Courtney Hicks

12 vote(s)
    5.5%
  5. Mirai Nagasu

40 vote(s)
    18.3%
  6. Agnes Zawadzki

29 vote(s)
    13.2%
  7. Caroline Zhang

3 vote(s)
    1.4%
  8. Other (Please Specify)

5 vote(s)
    2.3%
  1. lilshorty

lilshorty Member

With Ashley Wagner and Gracie Gold getting back three spots for the U.S. and consistently improving and moving up the world rankings I think it's safe to say that if they continue their trajectory upward they will be going to the Olympics next year. The big question mark, however, is who will be joining them? I know it's too early to tell who will make the Olympic team period, and there is no guarantee that Ashley and Gracie will be on the team, but I thought it would be fun to just speculate on who we think is going to be the third U.S. lady at the Olympics if they are both named to the Olympic team.

My pick is Christina Gao. Not only does she have great aesthetic qualities, but she is a complete package of technical ability and artistry. She had great results during the Grand Prix this season which included making the Grand Prix Final, and the international judges seem to be warming up to her. The judges would be idiots to hold her back at Nationals again for other skaters who have failed to deliver the goods. I hope she has a great season next year and goes out there and kicks butt.

Your thoughts?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  2. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

I agree with you, lilshorty, unless an unseen injury occurs or she chooses to quit, I see her as the strongest & steadiest of the remaining girls.

3. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I pick Christina Gao. It will be one of Gao or Zawadzki though, with an outside shot for Hicks. It wont be Nagasu, Czisny, Zhang or Flatt (ROTFL at Flatt making it) I dont think. Wang, Miller, Siraj, and Cesario should be on the poll instead of Flatt.

BTW yes it is a guarantee barring a massive injury that Gold and Wagner will be on the team. Even a poor skate at Nationals (which I hope doesnt happen) wont prevent it.

4. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

If Gracie and Ashley both make the team next year i would love to see someone new like Angela Wang get that 3rd spot. I know it's a long shot but she has real potential. It would be a nice balance of youth and a veteran on the team. Right now though it seems Gao is the favorite then after that Hicks, Nagasu and Agnes.

5. judgejudy27

I would actually give more chance to someone like Wang springing a surprie and making the team than Nagasu or Czisny making it at this point. I think one of the spent forces who peaked around 2010-2011 will have to skate a blinder for the judges to even consider putting them on the team. Wang is good enough potentially to make it, but like alot of them she struggles with consistency.

6. lauren329

lauren329 Active Member

Agreed- I think Wang or Miller should be in the conversation. I find them to have way more potential than some of the seniors that have been around longer. Miller performed to her music better than anyone at nationals, in my opinion. She had that Lipinski star quality.

I did find Gao impressive (artistic and decently consistent) and she's becoming a sentimental fave with all the 5th places.

I'm kind of over Agnes- she's had so many chances and not delivered on stages way smaller than the Olympics. Unless she can put down a clean long next year at Nationals and her GP, just no.

Hicks- out of the top 10 at Nationals, she was by far the least pleasant to watch. Then her big jumps (which are her ticket) failied her at Junior Worlds. It pains me to think of watching her at the Olympics over Gao, Miller, Wang, Nagasu.

Nagasu- USFSA seemed to send a harsh message that they were done with her and she no longer has the Frank factor. She will have to have the skate of her life at nationals and give them no reason whatsoever to question her jumps.

Czisny- I don't think she's coming back but maybe three spots changes that. We'll see.

Flatt-No comment. I wish her well at Stanford and am genuinely glad she seems so happy there.

My dream team- Ashley, Gracie, Hannah
    My more realistic team which would also be great- Ashley, Gracie, Christina

7. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Mrs. Pell :)

8. lauren329

lauren329 Active Member

This! We have 3 spots, why not? Why not?

9. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

But will she be able to do any 3-3 while with child :)

10. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

I do think Wagner and Gold have the best shot at a medal and best finishes at this point, but if she was 3rdish at Nationals, it would be dumb to not send the 4th place finisher from the last Olympics, particularly since the judges like her look on the ice and will score her well if she performs well, despite her inconsistencies.

11. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

Flatt is still on the list ? :confused:

Coco and (deleted member) like this.
  12. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

No idea.
    Between Gao, Nagasu and Czisny ?

13. lauren329

lauren329 Active Member

If she ends up our number 3, I vote we give the spot to Russia.

AndyWarhol, jamesy, tlk and 5 others like this.
  14. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

An auction?

I voted Gao although I prefer Zawadski. I think she is just too unreliable. Gao is taking a year off from Harvard, right? That would be good as she has tons of work to do.

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  15. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I was worried I was alone. I think Hicks could not challenge Mae Berenice in components.

16. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

I'd say the chances are:

Gao
    Zawadzki

Wang, Miller, Nagasu
    Czisny, Cesario, Edmunds

Hicks, Zhang

17. judgejudy27

I agree with those except I think you have Hicks way too low. The USFSA obviously likes her based on her very generous (IMO) scores from Nationals this year. I actually think she has more shot than Nagasu, and probably more than Wang and Miller. She has about 15 times more shot than Zhang (as close to nothing as can be) does.

18. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

and didn't Flatt retired ?
    other than maybe her name was put in for a joke

19. judgejudy27

Flatt hasnt officialy retired but concedes she might not compete again. Basically her last comments were a leave it open kind of thing. I think OP included her as a joke, and it is kind of funny.

20. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

If Hicks could poilsh her skating she would be a threat to make the team because she has big jumps and skates with attitude.

21. lilshorty

lilshorty Member

Flatt hasn't formally retired yet, so I placed her on the poll in case she decides to make a comeback. I realize her chances of making the Olympic team are a longshot, but stranger things have happened.

22. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Gao is the most consistent, but Zawadzki has been getting big marks at Nationals the past two seasons. I think if she skates similar to how she did this year, she's on the team.

Hicks could spoil the party, though. Her jumps are huge, and I can see her having an Emily Hughes moment and squeaking her way on to the team.

Sentimentally, I hope it's Nagasu. :( She's had a rough few years, and it would be amazing to see her back in the mix.

23. Flying Camel

Flying Camel Member

I hope it's GAO. I have a soft spot for her. I think she is a beautiful skater. After all those 5th places, it's time for her to step up on the podium. She got tons of experience this year, which will bold well for the all important Olympic year.

I hope it's not Agnes. I don't like her skating, and I don't really want to watch her at the olympics. I would rather watch Czisny fall 5 times.

I don't think the us judges will send someone with no experience unless the experienced girls skate really bad.

I like Wang and Miller but I think the judges will hold them down for the next Olympic cycle.

Nagasu, Zhang, I can't see it happening for them unless they make major changes with the jumps in the off season.

I actually do think the judges would take a chance on Czisny. She is the American version of kostner. I think if Czisny can skate injury free she will be at nationals.

24. CoralReef

CoralReef Member

I'm not even sure USA 1 and 2 are a lock, so can't even take a guess at #3.

25. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

I am thinking Gao, Hicks or Wang.

26. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Yes, starting this semester.

27. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Careful what you wish for!

28. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I agree they are not a lock, however, having 'earned back' the spot- and the first pair to do it after many years of trying, I expect them to be held up if they have even remotely good GP seasons and okay nationals. Hopefully they'll have a good nationals and earn it fair though.

I'd love to see Mirai at the Olympics with the fire she had last time.

(And for them to give out a pewter medal at the Olympics since the Gold medal is clearly taken- in dance they might need to hand out pewter and tungsten since the first two medals are gone.)

29. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I would be happy if it were Mirai or Christina. :)

30. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

I have a hunch that if Alissa returns, she will enter nationals with no pressure and skate a clean short. Then the US judges will overmark her again so that no matters what happens in the long, she gets the 3rd spot as a lovely retirement gift. I don't think USFS will ever be done with her. For some reason, they love her.