The teenage male super talents – who will dominate post Sochi?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by spikydurian, Feb 26, 2013.

1. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

They are all 19 and below (but no less than 15), and have shown great talent and potential to dominate in the coming years, let’s say maybe top contenders in 2018 Olympics . I am curious who will prevail and be easily regarded the ‘men to beat’ in the future. We know Yuzuru Hanyu is already ‘there’ and is the currently ‘the teenager to beat’ among this group of talents.

Who do you think will or can rise to the occasion to challenge Yuzuru Hanyu for the throne? And why do you think so?

Here are the few talents and potential youngsters whom many are raving about who may have a chance to challenge Hanyu. Feel free to add any names which I have omitted.

Jason Brown
    Josh Farris
    Han Yan
    Keiji Tanaka
    Maxim Kovtun

TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  2. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

*coughs quietly*

Artur Gachinski is just nineteen, and has a better Senior record than anyone on your list. Much as I am partial to three of the five on your list, Artur is still above them all.

3. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

I definitely did not misread the title as 'The teenage mutant super talents.'

LilJen and (deleted member) like this.
  4. misskarne

:rofl:

Maybe we should assign colours to each of them!

Purple Turtle can be Artur
    Light Blue can be Jason
    Dark Blue can be Josh
    Silver can be Maxim
    Black can be Han
    Green can be Keiji
    And Red can be Yuzuru!

5. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Hanyu is supertalent, but he has problem with his stamina!! He can skate badly. I think Han Yan will be his biggest rival.

6. morqet

morqet Well-Known Member

Kovtun probably has the strongest jumps, but at the moment his programs are nothing special and he sometimes doesn't even seem to notice there's music playing... I think Han Yan has the most potential to be the complete package, he's a beautiful skater and is capable of producing really excellent jumps, but he needs to become more consistant.

Much as I like Jason Brown's skating, he'll struggle to make it out of US Nationals, let alone make an impact on the senior international scene if he can't resolve his problems with the 3A.

7. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Don't forget Ryuji Hino! He is a really talented jumper!

From the list I'd say Yan, Farris, and Kovtun have the best odds. All of them need better choreography first though. I admire that Farris does a lot of his own choreo and while it's good for an 18 year old, he could really benefit from going to someone like Wilson and getting programs that are less white bread. It's pretty much the same deal with the other two as well, hough I feel at least Farris tries to connect with his music at least while with Yan and Kovtun I sometimes wonder. Tanaka and Brown have a lot of artistic ability already but jumps is more the issue for them, if they can get the hard ones more consistent then they also have a lot of potential.

8. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Bless you. :saint:

9. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

I agree, though I am not sure Artur could beat any of them right now

10. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Yuzuru Hanyu is so young. He will be the next big thing.
    I agree that he has a problem with stamina, but Takahashi had meltdowns when he was youn, then he has controled it quite well.
    I also like Joshua Farris and hope he'll do well.

TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  11. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Gaschinski was a flash in the pan. I dont see him doing anything big in the future. Hanyu will dominate post Sochi most likely.

12. mag

mag Well-Known Member

I would like to add Mitchell Gordon to the list. He is new, but at 16 he already has a beautiful 3A. This will be his first Jr. Worlds. I don't see him making a big splash, but more of a stealthly assent up the ladder. My vote says he will be in the mix for the podium in 2018.

13. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

Then there are the REALLY young ones: Nathan Chen and Vincent Zhou

tlk and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

There are too many unknowns to say. Back in 2009, Adam Rippon, Michal Brezina and Denis Ten seemed to have a lot of promise, and where are they now? Michal did just win that Euros bronze, but all three are so inconsistent.

Four years ago, I did expect Yuzuru Hanyu to be very successful post-Sochi - the way pre-Sochi thing came as a surprise. You never know how rapidly a skater will improve (or, in some unfortunate cases, implode), and not everyone makes a splash early on. Takahashi took years even though he was a JW champion. Joubert never did anything as a junior; 2002 Euros was his first medal at an international event at any level. Javier Fernandez was horrible early in his career, didn't even make it out of the SP at his first Euros and Worlds and was regularly outside the top 10 at JGPs. Maybe the next superstar is someone we've never heard of, or at least, someone few of us have heard of.

15. spikydurian

Flu season is coming. Must be the cold in Canberra;)

I forgot about him! :D He has not been skating well but I agree if he's on, he can challenge post Sochi.

Agree. Though I am interested whether this 'group of talents' can make a breakthrough in the seniors and continue their upward trajectory based on their current skills. Certainly inherent capability and opportunity to get the best coaches/choreographers will help.

16. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Except kovtun lol wink!!

17. Proustable

Proustable New Member

LMAO

18. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Those are the two that really interest me.
    I hope they have a smooth transition into the Senior ranks; so that we can watch them develop over several years. and achieve their maximum potential.

19. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

least likely is Tanaka. I love them all though!

20. pinky166

Tanaka is so good though! He's just a headcase at this point. When he's on he's really quite impressive!

21. Triple Axel

Triple Axel New Member

A Freakin'-MEN to that! Gach---you GO you good thing. Looking forward to next season!

22. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

And Nam Nguyen!

23. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Gachinski had one great moment at Worlds a couple years ago and since then has been a disaster at times. Right now it seems like a fluke what happened in 2011. Some of the kids on that list haven't even skated as Seniors yet.

24. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Worlds bronze was a product of Unpredictability. Look at 2010 to 2013 - only constant chan. You can have kozuka silver and then 11th. You have Ten 2nd from 7th. Takahashi 2nd to 6th and in 2011 5th after winning. was Sure gachinski was 3 to 18. But it's severe fluctuation from lots of people. Have to factor euros silver. The only constant has been Chan. Denis ten almost won! Worlds has a lot of flucuation now and "flukes" until they're not.

25. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

What would be awesome to see is which men people were saying would dominate after 2010 back in 2009?

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  26. miffy

miffy Well-Known Member

Maybe Ten read this and it spurred him on ;)

27. Triple Axel

Triple Axel New Member

ITA!!:respec:

Gachinski has had his share of problems..but so have so many of these other very high level skaters..and come next season, one would be a fool to write ANY of them off! Remeber what happened to Weir in 2006-2007?? And when he was totally dismissed, he came back and won the World BRONZE the following year, after re-inventing hiimself!! This can and has been done before. There is SO much depth in men's skating nowadays..I simply cannot wait to see who does what and who goes where and where everyone ends up! It's going to be an incredible year!!!

28. misskarne

Sorry, didn't realise that a silver at Russian Nationals and a silver at Euros was a disaster...

If he was 25 I could see your point. But he's 19. And just because Plushenko was a superfreak World Champion and Olympian at 19 doesn't mean they all will be.

29. pinky166

I he did it once though he could do it again. From what it seems, Gatchinski doesn't have the best head for competition, but he has gotten very good results a few times, and he is only 19, so it could be addressed and if so, he could do very well. I know D10 had injuries but I also thought some of his frequent meltdowns were due to being too anxiety prone to be a good competition and then last night - BOOM, amazingness. In the SP and FS actually. So you never know. Gatchinski does have a lot of talent and can do like 3 different quads already I think.

That being said I still like Kovtun and hope the Russian Fed doesn't socially lynch him after this. He still has a lot of potential and seems to have a nice demeanor about him and a fire in his belly. I liked how he came out all fired up at the start of his FS last night. Now he just needs to work on the stamina, and not letting the Fed get to him. I think TAT will try to protect him though.

30. spikydurian

:cheer: He's such a cutie. Still need a lot of work but he's sooo young. He will get there! :)

Who? Too lazy to go backward to check pre 2010 posts.

Now that Ten has proved himself, certainly he will be one to jostle for the 'super talents' title. One of my bet is still on Hanyu. ;)