The Tea thread

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by BlueRidge, Mar 7, 2013.

1. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Thumbs way up for Lady Londonderry, 3oz of which arrived in the mail today. YUMMY!!

2. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I don't buy at Teavana for reasons like those. It's super overpriced and the atmosphere is so forced and it just doesn't feel right to me. I've had one of their teas, and it was delicious but no more so than the teas I order/buy from The Tea Table or The Tea Haus. The people at The Tea Haus are friendly, super knowledgeable, and have never tried in even the remotest sense to make me buy anything I didn't want or need. The Tea Table is online but they've also been super nice and friendly when I've needed to communicate with them. The few times I stepped into a Teavana I felt like I was suddenly in a business more than a tea shop.

3. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

:cheer2:

4. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Scottish Breakfast: Not as strong as I expected. Fair.
    Oolong Orange Blossom: Yum!
    Nonesuch Estate Darjeeling: Another not as strong as I expected.

5. Sofia Alexandra

Sofia Alexandra Well-Known Member

I was at a workshop in Oslo last weekend, and I got to try some new teas during the breaks. One was Yogi Egyptian Licorice Mint, which was absolutely delicious. :swoon: Lipton used to have something similar, I think it was called Moroccan Mint, but I haven't seen that anywhere for ages so I don't think it's sold in Sweden any more. But now I can look for the Yogi tea instead! :)
    Another tea I sampled was Peppermint, Spearmint & Strawberry by the London Tea Company. It sounds like an odd combination, but it was nommy. Haven't seen that here in Sweden, though.

6. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Ooh, that sounds yummy! Stash makes a very nice licorice tea (for a bag), it has other spices in it but not mint. I wonder how it would be if I brewed a cup pot with 1 bag of licorice and 1 of mint!

ETA: went spelunking in the tea cupboard at work and found an old bag of Stash licorice along with a couple of mint tea varieties, so I gave it a try. Not bad! Would definitely be better with fresher tea, though, and the licorice overpowered the mint somewhat. But a combo worth playing with methinks.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  7. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I forgot how much I love licorice tea until right now. One of my favorites. I'll have to try it with mint whenever I get back to the States, lol.

8. Nan

Nan Just me

Wild Blackberry tea. :)

It's sooooo much better than saying something I know I'll regret later.

9. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Cream Earl Grey :)

10. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

That's one of my favourites, too, although right now it is playing second fiddle to the Salted Caramel from David's Tea. :swoon: I went to stock up before a travel filled month and was disappointed they only had enough to fill one tin - I know I will run out before I have a chance to get more :drama:

11. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I might hunt that one down - I'm not a dessert person but had a salted caramel dessert at a restaurant last week that was absolutely to die for!

Moved on to iced Moroccan mint for the afternoon :)

12. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Love that one too. What brand?

In the fall/winter, I'm all about vanilla, chocolate, cinnamon and plum teas, but in spring/summer, I love fruit and flavored black teas including peach, currant, passionfruit, mango, blueberry and blackberry.

13. Nan

Nan Just me

Bear River Tea Company. My daughter sent it to me for Christmas, from Omaha, so I don't know where she got it.

It is yummy. :)

14. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

There is a little fast food place here in NC that serves green tea as one of their options. I've never seen that in fast food. I get their Thanksgiving sandwich (turkey, cranberry sauce, lettuce, tomato on a bun) with blueberry slaw and the green tea.

15. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

My college dorm mates were the ones who taught me that tea was more than [something] Rose that I grew up with. We always had a box of Twinings assorted to counter post-lunch comas. My old roommates brought me a cannister of tea for the holidays, and it was Lapsang Souchong, a heavily smoky tea. It brought back memories of college, because we always had a collection of LS teabags, the one flavor in the assorted box that no one would drink.

On a trip to visit Ottawa, cygnus, Mr. cygnus, cygnet and I went to the Fairmont for tea. I was going to order Earl Grey, but cygnus gave me that parental "You are so disappointing" look :lol:, and I had their recommended Maple Maple, a vanilla-y tea, instead, and I've been drinking it ever since. I still love Earl Grey, and also Chai with milk, and iced, jasmine tea.

16. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Here's something to do with the lapsang souchong tea no one wants: use it to flavour edamame. All you do is steam a bag of frozen whole pods of edamame in an inch of water for about 5 minutes, then toss them with olive oil, one tsp of sea salt and one tsp of tea (about a bag). Easy healthy snack and fun to serve others as everyone loves it but no one can guess what it is.

17. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

That's ingenious -- thank you!

18. NinjaTurtles

NinjaTurtles Teenage Mutant

I'm flipped through the table of contents in the New England Journal of Medicine this afternoon and thought of this thread when I saw an article titled, "Skeletal Fluorosis Due to Excess Tea Drinking." :eek:

19. Anemone

Anemone Active Member

I saw an article about that yesterday - but I think that she drank an incredible amount of very strong tea if the article is correct.
    http://ca.shine.yahoo.com/too-much-tea-causes-unusual-bone-disease-222359924.html

From the article:
    "A 47-year-old Michigan woman developed a bone disease rarely seen in the U.S. after she drank a pitcher of tea made from at least 100 tea bags daily, for 17 years, researchers report."

A HUNDRED tea bags daily?!?
    Somehow, I don't think your average tea-drinker is coming even close to that.

20. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

I have a bit of a cold and today I bought a box of Stash lemon & ginger. With a squirt of honey and my throat is very happy. :)

They have Yogi tea in my grocery store, they keep it in the hippie dippie granola aisle instead of the regular coffee & tea aisle.

21. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

What is "dirty chai"?

It doesn't sound appetizing. :lol:

22. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

I think at Starbucks, a dirty chai is a chai tea latte with a shot of espresso in it (so sayeth a friend I work with; have never tried it myself)

23. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

You are not a fan of dirty martinis, I take it.

Dirty chai sounds good to me if that's what it is, Kasey.

24. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

What's a dirty martini? the non-drinker asks...

espresso in tea? that doesn't sound appetizing...

I guess next time I go to the coffee place I'll ask if that's what it is for them.

25. Moto Guzzi

Moto Guzzi Well-Known Member

I just came back from a visit to a friend's house. She had about a dozen teas that she'd ordered from Harney & Sons. I didn't try all of them but the ones I did try were good. On the drive home, I stopped at a quilt shop and there was a tea shop several doors down. I bought Le Marche Spice Flavored Black tea a blend of ginger/peach.

26. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I brought a pitcher of iced Citrus Tea from Harney and Sons to Easter dinner today, and their vanilla is one of my faves.

27. Citlali

Citlali Well-Known Member

A dirty martini is just like a regular martini but with a teaspoon of the brine from the olive jar.

:scream:

28. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

*barf*

Picked up an obscure brand from Scotland on the weekend - heather tea. Will report back when I've tried it :)

29. Pretty Vegas

Pretty Vegas Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of Wissotzky Tea - their Peach tea is increeeedible and so is the Raspberry and Mandarin Blood Orange.

30. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Woke up a bit queasy today--1/3 of that dirty martini did me in--I am ridiculously light weight when it comes to alcohol. :( Anyway, drinking tea in the morning helps me settle my stomach.

I have a variety of black, green and white teas, no Earl Grey (not big on that one). Which one would you recommend for the morning-after (a pathetic sip of martini)?