The Tea thread

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by BlueRidge, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Kruss

Kruss Well-Known Member

This is my tea set, minus the dessert plates. :)

2. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Lady Violet would approve. :D

3. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

I think it was demonized for a while and so people thought it wasn't healthy. Too much can cause problems but caffeine in moderation actually has health benefits. It can also prevent headaches so I try to have one of my daily cups of tea be one with caffeine. But I drink so much tea that I can't have them all have caffeine as 40-48 oz of caffeinated beverage a day is not moderation. :lol:

4. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

That's true... :lol:

Have you tried their straight teas? I tried the organic green tea, and didn't really like it. Now I'm a little afraid to try their other organic teas :shuffle:

5. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Love most black teas as long as they are spiced flavored, and not fruity or flowery flavored (which is weird, since I also like straight up chamomille tea). My favorite is classic Earl Gray with a touch of milk and about half a spoon of brown sugar...decadent!! But I also like Lady Gray, Irish Breakfast, English Breakfast, Darjeeling, etc...

6. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I love to skim through the reviews on Teaviews for reviews of different teas and tea vendors. I don't necessarily agree with the reviews because it's ultimately a matter of taste and I know people's tastes vary, but the descriptions are interesting.

7. skategal

skategal Bunny slave

I'm another tea fan. Grew up drinking Tetley. I love a good strong english/irish black breakfast tea.

Also love Twinnings English Afternoon tea. YUMMY!

The French Breakfast tea by Mariage Freres is one of the best teas I've ever had in my life.

I found it at A Southern Season in Chapel Hill, NC. But if I ever get back to Paris, I am definitely going to one of their emporiums for afternoon tea. :swoon:

http://www.mariagefreres.com/boutique/UK/lt blends-of-tea.html

8. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Beautiful! I'm not usually a fan of traditional looks, except when it comes to tea sets :)

I wandered into the David's Tea at my local mall and didn't like the vibe. Felt like a Starbuck's (young hipsters trying to get me to try weird blends), and the look was too cold and sleek. Not my cup of tea I guess!

9. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

My favorite teas are those from Tea Forte and Yogi Ginger Tea. I'll also sneak in a Vanilla Rooibos from Starbucks from time to time. ;)

10. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I've got some Mariage Freres vanilla open at the moment - it's so smooth!! I've got their Marco Polo ready to go when I finish the first tin.

11. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I'm a tea-holic, I say as I sit here with my cup of Earl Grey Creme! :)

I'm a big fan of Teavana. They have wonderful teas and even though they can be a bit pricey at times, I really love the store. Their Earl Grey Creme is amazing! When you open the bag :swoon:. It smells so great! I also love to blend their Matevana with Rooibos Chai...a little bit of sugar and a dash of cream and again :swoon:. That was the combination that got me hooked on their tea. I love Teavana's German rock sugar as well. Again it's pricey, but it lightly sweetens the tea without dulling the flavor. Of course, I'm pretty much off of sugar so I use Truvia, but it's not as great as the rock sugar.

My favorite teas are black teas. I've recently fallen in love with English tea. I took a trip to London at the beginning of last month and brought back a gift set of English Breakfast Tea, English Tea and English Afternoon Tea. I'm hooked! I've gone through all three tiny canisters and I'm almost out. Luckily one of my friends is in England now and promised to bring me back some. I also love just plain Oolong tea with a light sprinkle of Truvia.

I'm also obsessed with Thai tea and Chai tea...I love to drink those iced with a little sugar and milk. I do the same thing with Matcha green tea. Teavana sells their Matcha for $20! I wanted to try some b/c I was curious but I didn't want to spend that much, especially if I wasn't sure I'd like it. There's a great farmers market in Atlanta (Dekalb Farmer's Market) and they have a ton of different teas. Instead of $20 I was able to get a good amount for about $6. I found out how to prepare it and now I'm a fan of it too, although I wasn't sure I would be. When you blend the powder with hot water it smells like grass! :lol: But when you add milk, sugar and ice (plus a little vanilla) it tastes great...

I love Celestial Seasonings too. They have a Honey Vanilla Chamomile tea that is amazing. And Trader Joe's has a Vanilla & Cinnamon black tea that is heavenly. It's a holiday tea but I think you can find it online. I'm a much bigger fan of loose tea, but I found that if you heat the tea bag up with the water in the microwave you get a much richer flavor than just dropping the bag into a mug of hot water...

Yes, I am a tea-holic! :)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  12. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Sleepytime by Celestial Seasonings is one my favourites, and in the same category, President's Choice (Canadian store brand) has one called Feeling Calm. I don't drink they often, but sometimes they are exactly what I need.

Does anyone do this - save a particular tea for a particular moment because the smell and taste reminds you of something? Last fall I was into Mighty Leaf's White Orchard, which is a peachy - I took to having it in a big mug on my sundeck bundled up in a sweatshirt as it started to get colder, trying to hang on to the last of summer. I haven't drank that tea or used that mug all winter, and I realize I'm holding out for the first day I can enjoy it out on the deck again :)

13. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I've started to associate Earl Grey (not Earl Grey Creme) with Saturday mornings in general which equal relaxation time for me. I'll usually make a cup in the morning after breakfast and settle down on the sofa to catch up on shows I missed during the week. That's relaxing to me so that's what I associate it with.

Also any time I drink English tea I think of my trip to the UK. :) That was the first time I had it and I think that's why I've been hooked on it ever since. I really want to go back and have more time to tour and explore...

14. Kruss

Kruss Well-Known Member

Thanks for the compliments on my tea set! I thought it was pretty and figured traditional was the way to go for my first set. :)

15. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

I love Teavana's "Citrus, Lavendar, Sage" tea! I dry out the leaves and make another pot! I also love my Teavana single serve teapot thing that goes over your mug. Looking forward to their spring "dragonfruit" blend. Hopefully they will have samples soon!

16. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

Ever try the instant milk teas? Each bag of Gold Kili brand has the powdered tea, sweetener and creamer, comes in handy for work. I like the flavored teas, especially lychee.

17. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

I am making a big cup of Irish breakfast tea with milk right now. Few things are more soothing and lovely. :swoon: Yesterday I drank pomegranate green and acai green. The day before white persimmon and white vanilla coconut, all heavenly. Sometimes I drink plain green or plain white when the mood strikes.

18. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

I love tea.. in our family it is so much more than 'just' tea.. happy news to share - 'put the kettle on'... sad news to share 'put the kettle on'... sick 'put the kettle on'.. glad to see we have passed on our tea obsessions to our daughter too :)

When eating sushi (love sushi) I love the green tea, waking up I love English Breakfast tea or Yorkshire tea, later in the day I prefer a light tea so either lady grey or earl grey (ditto for night time).. except for the green tea - I just take a drop of milk and nothing else.. for dessert type tea I love a Chai latte..

When I'm sick i sometimes like the flavoured tea - just black - including blackcurrent and some other flavours.. bad stomach - peppermint tea.. also black chai

Favourite major treat or activity is 'hightea'.. love that too :)

19. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Starting the week with a nice apricot tea.

20. Moto Guzzi

Moto Guzzi Well-Known Member

I just had some Barry's gold blend that I bought at an Irish shop in a nearby town. Very nice. On my last trip to London, I brought home two large boxes of Yorkshire tea and an assortment of biscuits. The biscuits went fast because I took them to work and shared them with my coworkers. Not many of them were tea drinkers so the tea lasted a long time which was fine with me.

I have a teapot collection but I rarely use any of them; I heat my water in the microwave instead. I have this that I got 30 or so years ago and a matching set of smaller ones.

When I go home to visit my parents, my mother usually has a box of Twinings Prince of Wales teabags for me because several years ago I mentioned that I like it. My parents rarely drink tea and then only green tea, but my mother always has a box of tea waiting for me when I come.

21. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

I was quite taken aback about 10 years ago when I noticed among the Republic of Tea offerings in the office cafeteria: Surrender to Sleep Herb Tea. :confused:

22. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

At least they didn't serve it at the staff meetings?

23. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

WHEEEEEE!!!!! Thank you, people, for spurring economic activity in the US. Just today got a big ol' order of loose leaf tea. Lady Londonderry was out, alas (but they'll send it later) but I got some Scottish breakfast and a mega sampling of estate teas from English Tea Store. Drunk already on tea leaves!!

24. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I just tried the Mint Chocolate Rooibos from David's that someone gave me for my birthday. Not bad, but the mint & chocolate definitely overpower the rooibos, and it wouldn't be my first choice in a flavoured tea. Plain mint tea, yes. Cocoa + mint, yes. Chocolate + coffee, definite yes!

25. Sofia Alexandra

Sofia Alexandra Well-Known Member

I've just found an odd but rather nice combination. I got a "Christmas tea" for, well, Christmas, and it's green Sencha tea with almond and orange. It's lovely. And the other day I tried a new Easter candy by Anthon Berg: almonds covered in chocolate and liquorice with a coat of sugar that's speckled like a wild bird's egg. It might not sound very tasty, but I thought it was delicious. And it went GREAT with the Christmas tea! :)

Also, I once had a nommy ginger and lemon tea that went really well with Marabou's Premium Lemon and Ginger chocolate. :swoon:

Conclusion: tea + chocolate = looovely! And now I want chocolate.

26. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

I am a tea lover too. I've had like 3 cups of coffee over the last 8 or 9 months.

I usually buy Yogi Teas and Teavana teas. The Yogi Teas I like are Blueberry Slim Green Tea and Green Tea Kombucha.

Teavana was bought out by Starbucks last year and the jury is still out about the quality of some of the teas they now offer. They discontinued a few of my favorite black teas like Copper Knot. They still carry Capital of Heaven Keemun, Golden Monkey and Earl Grey. They still do not have the black dragon pearl tea. I usually favor black teas over other teas. But I do like Green Tea alot.

Teavana has some of the best green tea blends I've tried. I would highly recommend Sakura Allure Green Tea.

27. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

Where do you get Yogi teas? These sound divine!

28. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

There is a store locator on their website, plus you can order them online if there isn't a store near you. (although the locator didn't work well for me, but you can give it a try. I've seen it at local grocery stores sometimes)

29. gerb

gerb Serial Lurker

I've bought Yogi teas at Target

30. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

This is a consumer alert post. I went into Teavana last night since my tea appetite was spurred by this thread. Within 6 minutes the lady was cashing me out at a $124 bill. I almost fell over. I told her we need to get this bill under $20, I am not paying $124 for tea. That $124 did not include things like teapots either - just two canisters and tea.

She tries to finagle a way to sell me more of the paraphanalia (like the $7 tea canisters) versus actual tea. (One thing I did not realize until I walked out the door is that they HAD to have paper sacks to give your for the tea, but she did not tell me that.) I asked her the price of the teas, and she said all the tea was the same price. (Not true.)

Essentially, she tried really hard to run up the bill. And I did walk out the door with a $7 canister, which was completely unnecessary. I googled the store when I got home to confirm about the canisters and tea prices, and to confirm I had let myself be bamboozled.

I told the story to one of the attorney’s in the office who knows everything about everything and he said buying at Teavana is like going car shopping. High pressure sales and you need to be educated before going in there. I did have a cup of my tea, and it was good, though I won’t be going back there since I can buy tea elsewhere. But for those who may go there, go in educated if you are a newbie like I was.